Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Crusader Kings II

Crusader Kings II Do you like to play Crusader Kings? Looking for help, tips or strategies?

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Guardians & Educating Children

Guardians & Educating Children in Crusader Kings II

One of the most important aspects of any character in the game is their Education specialty. Every character has one (Diplomacy, Martial, Stewardship, Intrigue or Learning). Children get these, along with most of their traits and stats from their Guardian/Tutor - so choosing a Guardian/Tutor is very important.

First and foremost, you are the best guardian/tutor available, but you can only have two wards at a time, so you will probably have to send some children to be educated by your courtiers and/or vassals and when you do that, you just have to cross your fingers you don't end up with a monster.

One thing that I noticed when I first started playing was that so many characters in the game with high martial stats and training (super knights) seemed to always have the craven trait (-20 army morale). I hated that and wanted to know why that happened so I could avoid it. I want brave knights, not craven ones.

So here's what I've found from reading various articles on the net as well as my own experience:

1. In most cases, children will end up with the same education specialty and similar stats to their Guardian, not the parents. The only traits of the parents that really matter are the congenital traits - they are inherited (even if they don't show up every time).

2. Guardians with a Diplomacy education and high diplomacy scores tend to be the best Guardians since they will respond with "talk to them" as their default response to each of the child-events that determine child-traits. In practice this gives the best chance for children to gain positive traits like bravery, diligence, honesty, charity, etc.

3. Guardians who have the Zealous trait, will always respond with "pray for them" as their default response to each of the child-events that determine child-traits. In practice, this tends to produce children with lots of vices like gluttony, sloth, wroth and envy.

4. Guardians who have a Martial education and high martial stats will always respond with "beat them" as their default response to each of the child-events that determine child-traits. In practice, this tends to produce children with very un-martial traits like craven.

5. Guardians who have the Arbitrary trait, will always respond randomly as their default response to each of the child-events that determine child-traits.

6. The education designation is chosen at the moment the child turns 16. That means you can use one (nice diplomatic) guardian for many years and then switch the guardian for the last couple of years to a martial or steward education guardian and the child will (hopefully) have the benefit of the best of both.

7. Guardians of a different culture may convert the child to their culture - but only if the Guardian has the Abitious, Gregarious, Proud or Diligent traits. If the Guardian is Shy or Content, then culture switching likely won't occur.

I hope this helps. If anyone has additional comments, please feel to add them.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 03:46 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Guardians & Educating Children

One thing I have found is that I love the Zealous trait for my ruler and heir. If a child picks up the Zealous trait, they will gain piety over time so that if they are your heir, when they inherit, they don't have a negative (or very low) piety score which seems to invite excommunications and papal wrath. A new ruler with 150 points of piety makes life a lot easier than starting off with - 67 piety and a soon to follow excommunication!

Pride is another useful trait for rulers and heirs because it gives a prestige bonus over time (much like Zealous does with piety).

The traits Diligent, Brave, Generous and Just all give a bonus to vassal relationships, so they are very good to have as a ruler.

Btw, the traits Humble, Diligent and Brave (and no vices) with a martial score of 8+ and 25+ piety will give the True Christian Knight designation.