Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Dec 15th 2013, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default China Lands Probe On The Moon

Quote:
China Successfully Soft-Lands Probe On The Moon

BEIJING (AP) China on Saturday successfully carried out the world's first soft landing of a space probe on the moon in nearly four decades, the next stage in an ambitious space program that aims to eventually have a Chinese astronaut set foot on the moon.

The unmanned Chang'e 3 lander, named after a mythical Chinese goddess of the moon, touched down on Earth's nearest neighbor following a 12-minute landing process.

The lander carried a six-wheeled moon rover called "Yutu," or "Jade Rabbit," the goddess' pet. After touching down Saturday evening on a fairly flat, Earth-facing part of the moon, the rover was slated to separate from the Chang'e eight hours after landing and embark on a three-month scientific exploration.

China's space program is an enormous source of pride for the country, the third to carry out a lunar soft landing after the United States and the former Soviet Union. The last one was by the Soviet Union in 1976

"It's still a significant technological challenge to land on another world," said Peter Bond, consultant editor for Jane's Space Systems and Industry. "Especially somewhere like the moon, which doesn't have an atmosphere so you can't use parachutes or anything like that. You have to use rocket motors for the descent and you have to make sure you go down at the right angle and the right rate of descent and you don't end up in a crater on top of a large rock."
Source

Wow - I didn't know about this program. Looks like the Chinese are serious about their space program!
Old Dec 15th 2013, 08:51 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: China Lands Probe On The Moon

It's always cool to see a human artefact running around on another celestial body.

By the way, the conspiracy theorists are having a field day. They declare that it must be fake because the pictures from Jade Rabbit (gotta love the Chinese for their name giving) look way too crisp and clear compared to those of old.

But of course, since the last visit to the moon (37 years ago!), there might have been some progress in camera quality
Old Dec 16th 2013, 01:12 PM
Citizen

My first thought--and this is terrible--was to get angry at the idea that they were up there in the first place. Not because the US should be doing it (though, it should), and not because it could, in some lights, almost be construed as the start of a new space race. No, I got angry because they're probably going to leave that crap on my rock!

It seems almost like science fiction, but I am inspired to rekindle a belief that space could be our next big point of contention. Space or water.

Anyway, go China. Now, see if you can keep your sociopathic ten-year-olds in check.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 06:29 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Fantastic. The moar science the better.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddfish View Post
My first thought--and this is terrible--was to get angry at the idea that they were up there in the first place. Not because the US should be doing it (though, it should), and not because it could, in some lights, almost be construed as the start of a new space race. No, I got angry because they're probably going to leave that crap on my rock!

It seems almost like science fiction, but I am inspired to rekindle a belief that space could be our next big point of contention. Space or water.

Anyway, go China. Now, see if you can keep your sociopathic ten-year-olds in check.
If we can master nuclear fusion, then space will be next battlefield. Short of that, we are in downward spiral focused on declining resources - primarily oil and water, which means the next big war is likely to be here on earth (fighting for precious and dwindling supplies).

Another 20 or 30 years from now and programs like this are going to look like some serious 'shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic'.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 06:55 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
If we can master nuclear fusion, then space will be next battlefield. Short of that, we are in downward spiral focused on declining resources - primarily oil and water, which means the next big war is likely to be here on earth (fighting for precious and dwindling supplies).

Another 20 or 30 years from now and programs like this are going to look like some serious 'shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic'.
I'm not saying we'll be doing battle in space, I think we'll be warring over our claim to space.

Someone starts putting shit on the moon, but it's not their moon. It's the planet's moon. Aw shit, you gotta stop that nonsense. Make me. OK. KABLOOM.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 08:30 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I'm not saying we'll be doing battle in space, I think we'll be warring over our claim to space.

Someone starts putting shit on the moon, but it's not their moon. It's the planet's moon. Aw shit, you gotta stop that nonsense. Make me. OK. KABLOOM.
The point is that without nuclear fusion, combined with global climate change and oil depletion, 30 years from now, no one will have the resources to be playing with space.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 08:33 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The point is that without nuclear fusion, combined with global climate change and oil depletion, 30 years from now, no one will have the resources to be playing with space.
It's happening, like, literally right now.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 01:24 PM
Globetrotter

I saw. Good for China. Meanwhile we can barely get our GLONASS satellite navigation system working properly
Old Dec 17th 2013, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
It's happening, like, literally right now.
Ummm... as the OP indicates, it isn't. The Chinese are definitely spending resources on space right now.