Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Aug 20th 2012, 05:27 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
If I had enough faith in the procedure, I could imagine using "genetic engineering" in utero to correct/prevent a disorder or birth defect.

I don't see myself doing anything more than that, though.
That's a much different kind of thing. That would involve identification of a specific gene that has a known specific disease associated with it. In that case, removal of the gene might be a reasonable course of action.

I took the OP to mean that we could add some designer DNA to the mix. That's the thing that I think is unpredictably dangerous.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 05:48 PM
Globetrotter

Not sure about "genetic engineering", but, I believe, some people to go too far in "building" their chidren. One example: Yury Kolmakov, this guy I know. He is a weightlifter, power-sportsman

Second place at last All-Russia Strongest Man Championship

His son, Taras, 4 years old

Tell me, is it normal for a 4 year old boy to have musculature like this? He swears always he would never take anabolics or steroids himself and surely never would give any to his son. Says he trains his boys (second son, Ilya, also in the photo) only "naturally". I hope so, I hope that is the truth. I understand this already has caused issues at the Greco-Roman wrestling section Taras is enrolled in, at his kindergarten: he is much stronger than boys in his age group, so they have to pair him against older boys, 6 year olds, who are somewhat larger than him. He says he can handle them, but his father thinks it is unfair

Anyway, this is indeed a problem in this country. It is taking away childhoods from children. For girls, it is no better, by the way. There are now "Mini Miss" Beauty Competitions at kindergartens!

This is simply wrong, in my opinion. Let children be children!

Last edited by MeMyselfAndI; Aug 20th 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:28 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Not sure about "genetic engineering", but, I believe, some people to go too far in "building" their chidren. One example: Yury Kolmakov, this guy I know. He is a weightlifter, power-sportsman

His son, Taras, 4 years old

Tell me, is it normal for a 4 year old boy to have musculature like this? He swears always he would never take anabolics or steroids himself and surely never would give any to his son. Says he trains his boys (second son, Ilya, also in the photo) only "naturally". I hope so, I hope that is the truth. I understand this already has caused issues at the Greco-Roman wrestling section Taras is enrolled in, at his kindergarten: he is much stronger than boys in his age group, so they have to pair him against older boys, 6 year olds, who are somewhat larger than him. He says he can handle them, but his father thinks it is unfair
There is actually a gene associated with gaining muscle mass in this manner in children. It is extremely rare and the only other example I've seen of it was from a guy in Germany.

As for tinkering directly with the genetic code, I don't think I'd take the chance in most cases. If a child was due to have a life-long, crippling birth defect, I think I'd rather consider abortion than messing around with things we really still don't fully understand. There is not just one type of gene in our genome and not just single effects that each gene has. This is the problem with added OR subtracting the information. You don't know what other information you're going to affect by altering a single piece until much later on. To give you an example, my brother (adopted) has a rare form of genetically triggered arthritis that didn't manifest until he got a back staph infection from eating contaminated shellfish at the age of 25. He woke up with his legs feeling like he was on fire and unable to walk. Genes are bizarre like that.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 05:29 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Lock that father up for child abuse.

There are few things more abusive than parents who force their kids to pursue the parent's dream.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 04:31 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Might it be better to say that intelligence is not wholly (or even not primarily) genetic?

After all, the size and complexity of the brain aren't wholly irrelevant. And while we might not know how to to fiddle with genes to make make your kid more intelligent, I suspect we could pretty quickly figure out ways to make him much less so.
Well, yes, the intelligence level of the species is genetically defined in the sense that there is a very high probability that a child will turn out more intelligent than a chimpanzee and even higher than that of a cow (who have much bigger brains than humans incidentally). But that is a feature of the whole genome rather than of any localizable and uniquely identifiable gene.
Reductionism in genetics is anti-scientific. Its sole purpose is to create an industry out of it. An industry that will very likely have disastrous consequences of which Monsanto is already a prime example.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 06:55 AM
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Well, yes, the intelligence level of the species is genetically defined in the sense that there is a very high probability that a child will turn out more intelligent than a chimpanzee and even higher than that of a cow (who have much bigger brains than humans incidentally). But that is a feature of the whole genome rather than of any localizable and uniquely identifiable gene.
Reductionism in genetics is anti-scientific. Its sole purpose is to create an industry out of it. An industry that will very likely have disastrous consequences of which Monsanto is already a prime example.
If science was able to tell if a baby during pregnancy would be born with a horrible disease and they could genetically alter them so they were born without the disease ,then that would be ok with me but checking off a box of what you want in your kid seems wrong
Old Oct 12th 2012, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguysdad View Post
If science was able to tell if a baby during pregnancy would be born with a horrible disease and they could genetically alter them so they were born without the disease ,then that would be ok with me but checking off a box of what you want in your kid seems wrong
The problem with this view is that the legality of the first will be used to justify the second.

That is to say, if you have the legal permission to genetically alter a fetus to prevent it suffering a future disease, corporate lawyers will drive a truck through that loophole to argue that average intelligence would condemn the fetus to a life of average mediocrity or poverty, and therefore genetic enhancements are JUST LIKE doing genetic surgery to prevent a disease. Given SCOTUS track record on such issues, this would be a done deal and then you will have Monsanto trying to patent human genes (and selling them).
Old Oct 12th 2012, 09:22 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguysdad View Post
It does seem wrong to make your child smarter or faster. But... There are some things that would be better not passed to the next generation. Among them genetically determined diseases.
The current thinking is that what is likely to happen is to choose the sperm and eggs that are to mate in a lab so that they don't produce offspring with genetic disease.
Or produce a number of fertilized eggs or embryos and check their genetic make up. Only the one or ones who don't have the diseases would be allowed to breed.
I think changing genes is a still a long way off. So what can be achieved in the near future is morally questionable, depending on which side you stand on the abortion debate. But non the less, one might argue that it would be more moral than to allow a kid to be born with childhood diabetes, or leukemia.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 11:38 PM
This wine needs more whisky

I wouldn't wish my big rack on any female child of mine. But she might like big boobs. Totally random, I know
Old Oct 13th 2012, 04:46 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
I wouldn't wish my big rack on any female child of mine. But she might like big boobs. Totally random, I know
Why? Do you have back problems?