Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Jan 8th 2013, 09:24 PM
Resident Historian

Default Re: 17 billion neighbours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I too consider interstellar travel an impossibility. And I agree that the radio silence is a more worrying aspect. Worrying if one wants to find other civilizations that is. Some will no doubt call it a relief.
I wonder what the "worse case scenario" is for contact with an alien race that can communicate with us (with a multi-decade delay each way) but can't physically get themselves or anything of non-trivial mass to us in less than several centuries.

I guess they could broadcast directions for building a super-virus or some such, but I don't think they'd have much of an incentive to do so.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:43 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I too consider interstellar travel an impossibility. And I agree that the radio silence is a more worrying aspect. Worrying if one wants to find other civilizations that is. Some will no doubt call it a relief.
Silent neighbors are by far the least annoying. Seeking intergalactic communication beyond the scientific aspect reminds me of missionaries spreading their faith for purposes of cultural change. Self-imposed misery desiring company.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:53 AM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
I wonder what the "worse case scenario" is for contact with an alien race that can communicate with us (with a multi-decade delay each way) but can't physically get themselves or anything of non-trivial mass to us in less than several centuries.

I guess they could broadcast directions for building a super-virus or some such, but I don't think they'd have much of an incentive to do so.
That's been covered here I believe. Chilling thought. Possibly accurate too.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 09:45 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Silent neighbors are by far the least annoying. Seeking intergalactic communication beyond the scientific aspect reminds me of missionaries spreading their faith for purposes of cultural change. Self-imposed misery desiring company.
Who knows ?
'They' might be bloodthirsty insectoids and then again 'they' might be uberhippies who are only interested in intergalactic sex and Peace in the Universe. Most likely, neither party will have a clue what the other is talking about.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 09:58 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Who knows ?
'They' might be bloodthirsty insectoids and then again 'they' might be uberhippies who are only interested in intergalactic sex and Peace in the Universe. Most likely, neither party will have a clue what the other is talking about.
Not unlike contemporary Planet Earth cultures.