Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Sep 28th 2009, 01:32 AM
Banned

Default Re: Irving Oil to build new refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
You might want to learn the application and market differences between sweet light crude and sour heavy crude along with who has what before getting excited about destroying wetlands.
Lasher is neither excited nor an expert on the application and market differences between sweet light crude and sour heavy crude, but he is a logical thinker and extremely good at weighing the pros and cons of everyday situations, and doesn't let superficially knowledgeable pretenders who might be trying to impress Him sway his opinions. It is apparent to anyone with a working mind that this nation runs on oil, and without it we will cease to exist. All the posturing ecofreaks who are so complaining about the oil industry and its profits need to rethink all their silly thoughts, and accept that we need oil.

As far as destroying wetlands, Lash is mystified how you inferred that from what He said. Do you have a reading comprehension problem?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 01:43 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
It's very good news that Irving is building a new refinery; we need many more to fill our needs so we won't have to rely on foreign sources. We also need to start drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and other wetlands where we already know the oil is. Lash believes there is a bill in the Florida House to do just that in the near future. Great news!!
You do know that Canada and the United States are separate countries, right?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 01:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
You do know that Canada and the United States are separate countries, right?
Please advise Lasher how He was supposed to know where you live, my friend. You are a cipher to Lash, who assumes everyone is American until otherwise told. LOL!

Oh, BTW, is Mexico a separate country too?

Last edited by Lasher; Sep 28th 2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 01:47 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Please advise Lasher how He was supposed to know where you live, my friend. You are a cipher to Lash, who assumes everyone is American until otherwise told. LOL!
I live in the US. You may want tor e-read the first post.

Quote:
Oh, BTW, is Mexico a different country also?
Indeed, but irrelevant to the thread.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 01:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I live in the US. You may want tor e-read the first post.

Indeed, but irrelevant to the thread.
Since there is so much difficulty in posting here without getting persnickety retorts, Lasher will try to remember to eschew this thread.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 03:03 AM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Is that what you call the extraction of natural resources for the benefit of all the people - raping? How do you expect this nation's industries to continue to produce without a source of energy?
OED definition three for rape:

"The act of taking something by force; esp. the seizure of property by violent means; robbery, plundering. Also as a count noun: an instance of this, a robbery, a raid. Now rare (chiefly arch. and literary)."

Sorry I can't link that - university library proxy users only. Nonetheless, I do indeed equate the forceful taking of oil from the earth with rape as the definition supplies. Make no mistake, I would never believe that a nation should run on no source of energy. Be that my nation or yours. However, I also believe that the using up of sources of energy that cannot be replaced within the lifetime of the users is irresponsible management of a planet that none of us has the right to do. With great power comes great responsibility. We have so many sources of power that can be used that we ignore or classify as too cumbersome or not powerful enough. Amazing that we got this far for the last 90,000 years without a source of power like oil or coal until the last 500 years. You are quite right, you will cease to exist without oil. I won't.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 04:34 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
http://www.irvingoil.com/company/erock.asp

I remember a while back someone was saying that there are no new refineries being built and that this is a sign of the oil production slow down due to reaching peak oil. Any thoughts on this new direction? As far as I'm aware this new refinery proposal has already been cut to start with half capacity to see how it goes. Personally, I don't think it's going to come to fruition but this seems like a ridiculous idea at this time in history.
The Edmonton area is talking about two huge new refineries. Their idea is to not ship the unfinished tar oil straight to the US for upgrading, but to upgrade it first then pipe it off to the US.

Their concern has nothing to do with existing North American refining capacity, it all to do with money. They got oil that needs upgrading and every time a US refinery upgrades it they feel they have lost money and jobs.

Andrew
Old Sep 28th 2009, 03:00 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Lasher is neither excited nor an expert on the application and market differences between sweet light crude and sour heavy crude, but he is a logical thinker and extremely good at weighing the pros and cons of everyday situations, and doesn't let superficially knowledgeable pretenders who might be trying to impress Him sway his opinions. It is apparent to anyone with a working mind that this nation runs on oil, and without it we will cease to exist. All the posturing ecofreaks who are so complaining about the oil industry and its profits need to rethink all their silly thoughts, and accept that we need oil.
I suggest you educate yourself on those subjects rather than using emotion and blind patriotism as talking points.

Quote:
As far as destroying wetlands, Lash is mystified how you inferred that from what He said. Do you have a reading comprehension problem?
It doesn't sound like you're at all familiar with oil recovery operations.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewl View Post
The Edmonton area is talking about two huge new refineries.
Talk is cheap.

The return on investment for building an oil refinery is based on a fifty year lifespan of the plant.

That's why no one's building refineries. They may be profitable for the next ten or twenty years, but how does one earn profits 45 years from now with an oil refinery and no oil?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that no one in their right mind is going to invest in any new oil refineries right now.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 03:30 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Talk is cheap.

The return on investment for building an oil refinery is based on a fifty year lifespan of the plant.

That's why no one's building refineries. They may be profitable for the next ten or twenty years, but how does one earn profits 45 years from now with an oil refinery and no oil?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that no one in their right mind is going to invest in any new oil refineries right now.
The tar sands are not going to run out any time soon. These refineries could operate easily for 50 years. Hell, they are even talking about multiple nuclear plants to power the oil sands so as not to burn too much natural gas...

Andrew