Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:44 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Your Opinion On:FreeEnergy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
I remeber seeing something like that pitched on some children's science show when I was young. Maybe it was a magnet-rail system.
It's something worth looking at, I think. I definitely needed my car when I was in Columbus for work, so even if we had a passenger train, I would have needed to rent a vehicle, which is probably unlikely. (Also it's hard for me to rent one anyway with my age )
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:59 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
What if you could put your car on the train, like you do on ferries? You use the train for long distances, then have your car when you arrive hundreds of miles away?

Just a random thought I had while making a two hour drive today.
It is done on the train that goes under the English Channel, between England and France, the Channel Tunnel. (Eurotunnel is the train operator)

http://www.directrail.com/eurotunnel.aspx
Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
It's something worth looking at, I think. I definitely needed my car when I was in Columbus for work, so even if we had a passenger train, I would have needed to rent a vehicle, which is probably unlikely. (Also it's hard for me to rent one anyway with my age )
Last year when I was changing jobs, I considered taking a job offer in Vancouver. I did some quick research into that topic and worked out that it was pretty much the same cost to ship a car 2000+ miles via train to Vancouver as it would be to drive it there myself (including gas, food and four nights of motels).
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:29 AM
Villager

As stated the train solution isn't a solution at all... It is simply a luxury... This is why our world needs electric vehicles that recharge themselves based off of energy that is provided to us by nature and the solar system... Why do we have energy crisis when there is a ball of it within reach of us... We see the sun everyday and the moon every night reflecting that energy to us in all times of the day and night...
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:09 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixingTheFuture View Post
As stated the train solution isn't a solution at all... It is simply a luxury... This is why our world needs electric vehicles that recharge themselves based off of energy that is provided to us by nature and the solar system... Why do we have energy crisis when there is a ball of it within reach of us... We see the sun everyday and the moon every night reflecting that energy to us in all times of the day and night...
Because we don't have a sufficiently efficient way of collecting and storing that energy?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:24 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixingTheFuture View Post
Electric vehicles don't operate on free energy, nor are they expected to in the foreseeable future..

Renewable energy sources provided 4.9% of US electrical energy from 8-10 through 8-11. The remainder was provided by coal, 43.1%, natural gas 24.2%, petroleum .7%, Nuclear 18.6% and hydroelectric at 8.3%.

While hydroelectric can be considered a renewable energy source by some, its environmental damage takes it out of the desired energy source classification. US river dams producing hydroelectric energy are being dismantled for that very reason.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Electric vehicles don't operate on free energy, nor are they expected to in the foreseeable future..

Renewable energy sources provided 4.9% of US electrical energy from 8-10 through 8-11. The remainder was provided by coal, 43.1%, natural gas 24.2%, petroleum .7%, Nuclear 18.6% and hydroelectric at 8.3%.

While hydroelectric can be considered a renewable energy source by some, its environmental damage takes it out of the desired energy source classification. US river dams producing hydroelectric energy are being dismantled for that very reason.
Hydroelectric may have some US political issues, but the energy source is indeed highly renewable. The vast majority of electricity that Canada exports to the USA (mostly Quebec to NY and New England) comes from hydro.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 08:51 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Hydroelectric may have some US political issues, but the energy source is indeed highly renewable. The vast majority of electricity that Canada exports to the USA (mostly Quebec to NY and New England) comes from hydro.
Not so much a political issue as dams decimating West Coast salmon stocks. Big money. Commercial and sport salmon fishing was suspended last year due to meager harvests and low fish ladder counts on existing dams. With ability to return to their spawning grounds on river tributaries physically restricted by dams on rivers, reproduction has declined on a steady basis for decades.

On a longer term basis, no wild fish genetics regularly introduced into hatchery farming will eventually produce the normal consequence of inbreeding as in humans, trash fish.

A majority of US dams built to produce hydroelectric power on smaller rivers have been obsolete for years and in many cases abandoned. Virtually all those dams (in CA, OR and WA) were constructed by private entities and supported by public officials for purposes of producing and selling electricity to develop municipalities long before the US had any environmental concerns. The US raped its natural resources just as effectively as any contemporary third-world country.

I won't get into US public works dams from the Great Depression. The fact that their water control has become far more politically valuable than electricity production says it all.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 07:32 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Not so much a political issue as dams decimating West Coast salmon stocks. Big money. Commercial and sport salmon fishing was suspended last year due to meager harvests and low fish ladder counts on existing dams. With ability to return to their spawning grounds on river tributaries physically restricted by dams on rivers, reproduction has declined on a steady basis for decades.

On a longer term basis, no wild fish genetics regularly introduced into hatchery farming will eventually produce the normal consequence of inbreeding as in humans, trash fish.

A majority of US dams built to produce hydroelectric power on smaller rivers have been obsolete for years and in many cases abandoned. Virtually all those dams (in CA, OR and WA) were constructed by private entities and supported by public officials for purposes of producing and selling electricity to develop municipalities long before the US had any environmental concerns. The US raped its natural resources just as effectively as any contemporary third-world country.

I won't get into US public works dams from the Great Depression. The fact that their water control has become far more politically valuable than electricity production says it all.
That's why I mentioned "US political issues".

Fact is, Quebec is [allegedly] the largest hydroelectric producer on the planet and they have some really big hydro projects located in Labrador and James Bay. Over 40% of Quebec's electricity comes from hydro.

Even good old Niagara Falls still supplies some 17% of all electricity in Ontario - total is about 25% for hydro power.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 03:06 PM
Villager

The question isn't if electric cars are going to be mainstream and run off of free-energy the question is are they going to be able to become self-sustainable?

Electric cars are going to be a mainstream use of transportation in the next 10-20 years in America. I met a guy named Bruce that has 500 electric charging systems in stock and is currently creating the infrastructure needed to be able to take electric cars nationwide. The price of fully electric cars has dropped tremendously and they are not much more than a gas powered sedan. The Nissan Leaf and Tesla series are all good examples. The electric charging systems are going to have wind turbines or solar panels to help produce the electricity for these cars. I consider both sources to be free-energy sources. The train idea would be a good way to ferry these cars long distances if the train was electric. The electric train would get it's electricity from the infrastructure in which it drives on. The smoke stack is turning over to the Green stack and it's coming fast. If you don't believe me that is fine, but that is where everyone is investing.

I have a friend who has designed a way to use wind turbines to generate and refuel his electric car in almost the same rate at which it's motor uses the electricity. The story has always been the fans will create too much drag on the car to make it worth anything... If the fans catch the air at a certain angle and then the air is diverted through an aerodynamic scoop then the car is then almost self-sustaining... The reason i bring this idea up in the first place is to see how many of us believe in alternatives and how many of us believe that this world will continue to suffer while we bleed it's veins dry.

when solar technologies get better you will see transportation become self-sustaining currently solar technologies aren't efficient enough.