Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 09:47 AM
Villager

Red face Your Opinion On:FreeEnergy!

For This Thread I am Asking This Diverse community your opinions on free energy resources...

Sun, Water Current, Wind, magnetism, and Fire...
These are some of the Earth's many free-energy resources. The Major controversy is that these resources aren't realistic and reliable in all the situations where we use fossil fuels... I personally disagree and am participating in free-energy research myself.

Do you believe it is possible to have free-energy electricity and Transportation?

Do you know of any fossil fuel applications that have been converted or replaced using free-energy?

Can you Imagine a world without having to rely on fossil fuels and other nonrenewable resources?

Do you believe a car can travel 3,000+ miles without having to stop for fuel or electricity of any kind?

Answer these three questions and Comment however you wish! I want to know what your opinions on this matter are... -as always thanks for reading
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:35 AM
Resident Historian

Default Re: Your Opinion On:FreeEnergy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixingTheFuture View Post
For This Thread I am Asking This Diverse community your opinions on free energy resources...

Sun, Water Current, Wind,...
I don't really think of those as "free" as much as "renewable."

Quote:
...magnetism, and Fire...
How is magnetism a source of energy?

And isn't "fire" simply the way we derive energy from fossil fuels?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:

These are some of the Earth's many free-energy resources. The Major controversy is that these resources aren't realistic and reliable in all the situations where we use fossil fuels... I personally disagree and am participating in free-energy research myself.

Do you believe it is possible to have free-energy electricity and Transportation?
Absolutely. Hydroelectric electricity is a perfect example of 'free' electricity and good old sailing ships are a perfect example of 'free' wind-driven transportation.

I use the term 'free' loosely here of course. Hydroelectric generators are very expensive to build - but the water flow is free.

Quote:
Do you know of any fossil fuel applications that have been converted or replaced using free-energy?
Electric cars are a good start here. If one uses hydro to generate the electricity, electric cars fit this bill.

Quote:
Can you Imagine a world without having to rely on fossil fuels and other nonrenewable resources?
Not really. There is way too much profit in raping the planet for people to stop doing it any time soon.

Quote:
Do you believe a car can travel 3,000+ miles without having to stop for fuel or electricity of any kind?
I suppose it might be possible if it was aerodynamic, had a solar sail and was made out of carbon-fiber.

How one driver could keep going for 3000 miles without stopping to pee is beyond me though.

Quote:
Answer these three questions and Comment however you wish! I want to know what your opinions on this matter are... -as always thanks for reading
Interesting questions. I look forward to your reply.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 07:06 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Yes, that's a good point.

Quote:
How is magnetism a source of energy?
Magnetism is an integral component of electricity generators.

Quote:
And isn't "fire" simply the way we derive energy from fossil fuels?
Yes, but not entirely. Fire is also the way we derive energy from wood. Fire is also the 'source' of geothermal energy.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 07:07 PM
Globetrotter

What on earth is the point of talking about environmental issues, when the vast majority of people choose to drive, and even have two cars in one household?

To be honest, I prefer the people who are honest about not giving a rat's harris about the environment - at least they don't waste good oxygen on talking about the environment.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:14 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Agreed. Or sustainable.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:28 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:

First off, welcome to the forum. We're always glad to see new faces.

Quote:
Scientifically, it is possible. However, it's gonna be a battle to wrench the power to create energy futures from the hands of the current regime. Oil, coal, and natural gas aren't planning on dying out soon. They'll extend their livelihood as long as they can.
Quote:
I've seen some reports on hydrogen fuel cell vehicles that looks promising, but the current costs (both economic and energy) to create the volume of hydrogen needed to operate is not feasible.

Personally, I feel that electric cars are dead in the water. The inability to take your car across the state is a deal breaker for Americans. Hybrids have more hope, but they are, of course, dependent on oil.
Quote:
Of course, but I can also imagine a world where orcs and dwarves fight with men. Again, it's possible, but not likely anytime soon.
Quote:
Not at the moment.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:06 AM
Villager

Thanks for all the replies... I was going to get all the quotes but instead i will just address you all at once.

Fire -Renewable recource... Yes Free energy -no Sorry i got carried away with that one... Fire is a renewable recource because fuel is renewable... I guess using fire as free energy example wasnt logical.

Now to discuss the orcs and fantasy... Those arent exactly reality but i can understand your confusion in this society =P...

Electric cars= dead in the water... I would agree with you if I didn't know of an electric car that does exist today... The trick is with using all the free energy recources all around us. When you drive your vehicle you are wasting energy... Think about it... Not only is the fuel moving your vehicle forward it is moving the engines reciprocating weight and overcomming all the frictions around the vehicle creating wind energy... When you remove all the reciprocating weight and use an electric engine you can use a battery bank to move you forward until you reach 30mph or so... That is when the fan turbines kickin replenishing your battery bank as you drive... The argument with this is weight to power ratio... This makes some sense if your not an engineer... Imagine this... 4 wind turbines equal 1.5ibs... you can attach 5 of those turbines in place of the radiator... This will allow alot of generator power... If that isnt enough add some under the car in the place of the fuel tank using a light aluminum scoop with an allow reinforcement. And if that isnt enough rig them to the roof in a staggered pattern with adjustable degrees. Now are you telling me these fans cant resupply your battery bank as your cruising along? once you break even the ammount of energy used to increase speed will increase the wind power which rotates the turbines which will increase power flow into your supply.... This theory works and I can prove it... Aside from that... How can we get these vehicles into the populations hands? Simple... Show it to you, if you drive one of these vehicles and realize no more fuel prices your gas car will be gone. The Large name companies are known for stopping these revolutions by "many fucked up means" I guess we will see what happens huh guys? Do me a favor and open your minds to some research into the variables... If you are the guy that is okay with his gas powered vehicle and paying gas prices then go ahead and continue to not care about the world which you survive upon, One day you may stop and look around going damn my car is loud and realize the electric cars you once didnt believe in. I am not trying to persuade anyone just trying to give the ones that are listening to the possibility a chance to open your eyes and mind to new ways to change the world a little bit. -Thanks everyone and if i missed anyone please let me know and ill promptly reply... I type this fast so Im sorry for typos... -Honest American...
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 01:04 AM
Official Forum Mascot

What if you could put your car on the train, like you do on ferries? You use the train for long distances, then have your car when you arrive hundreds of miles away?

Just a random thought I had while making a two hour drive today.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 02:07 AM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
What if you could put your car on the train, like you do on ferries? You use the train for long distances, then have your car when you arrive hundreds of miles away?

Just a random thought I had while making a two hour drive today.
I remeber seeing something like that pitched on some children's science show when I was young. Maybe it was a magnet-rail system.