Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:29 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Ecological living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
This is interesting. This parallels Greendruid's situation as he too 'was' a cityslicker in the none too distant past.

Btw, as other's have commented on the quality of your English, I must say your ability to use 'slangish' terminology in calling people "Moscovites and Peterburgers" is a good example of your very high level of English fluency.

Though, now that I think about it, both of those terms probably come from English-language Russian news sites to begin with!
I also use Google Translator to help me at times, I confess
Old Sep 8th 2011, 05:22 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
I also use Google Translator to help me at times, I confess
Don't be modest - google translate can help you with vocab, but your virtually mistake-free syntactical structure is clearly your own.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 07:58 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Don't be modest - google translate can help you with vocab, but your virtually mistake-free syntactical structure is clearly your own.
Well, the truth is, I also use a software from Moscow University's Language Faculty, which my wife used to learn English and which is used to teach students who are to go into diplomacy, international business, and such areas. You can program this software to teach you not only correct grammar and spelling, but also particular cultural expressions for a certain geographic area of the language you are studying. In my case I just had to pick 'North American English, Normal'. Though that too is subdivided. If I wanted to, I could learn phrases common in, for example, Texas, or New York. But, that is too complicated for me at this time
Old Sep 8th 2011, 08:12 PM
Globetrotter

Well, I think your English is excellent, not just written but also understanding.

You should be proud of it, in my opinion.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:33 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Well, the truth is, I also use a software from Moscow University's Language Faculty, which my wife used to learn English and which is used to teach students who are to go into diplomacy, international business, and such areas. You can program this software to teach you not only correct grammar and spelling, but also particular cultural expressions for a certain geographic area of the language you are studying. In my case I just had to pick 'North American English, Normal'. Though that too is subdivided. If I wanted to, I could learn phrases common in, for example, Texas, or New York. But, that is too complicated for me at this time
Very interesting! I've noticed you using North American type 'informal' expressions.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I've seen many Europeans on the net over the years that have a command of English that surpasses many native speakers. Most of them are Dutch/Belgian/Danes though.