Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Aug 26th 2011, 09:13 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: How big is your...

Also, Dear Republicans.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:08 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I'm not sure that it is actually true, but the flip side of the argument is that marketing the consumer "greening" is part of building a critical mass toward getting industry sorted out.

That's an optimistic perspective.
That assumes industry and sustainability are somehow compatible, im very dubious of that notion.

-George Orwell
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:09 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I'm not sure that it is actually true, but the flip side of the argument is that marketing the consumer "greening" is part of building a critical mass toward getting industry sorted out.

That's an optimistic perspective.
Perhaps, but if people are under the impression that altering their own behavior can make all the difference, it seems more likely that they'd direct their pressure at one another, as individuals.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:19 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewl View Post
That assumes industry and sustainability are somehow compatible, im very dubious of that notion.
Certainly not industry as we know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Perhaps, but if people are under the impression that altering their own behavior can make all the difference, it seems more likely that they'd direct their pressure at one another, as individuals.
Corporations are people, remember?

Anyway, I'm just playing an optimistic devil's advocate.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 10:14 AM
Citizen

Lightbulb Selfie

You know, this is a very useful question and practical perspective on Earth habitation.

How does man perceptibly interact with the environment?

We know that human beings experiment with chemistry to yield strength-enhancing drugs.

How does general human behavior impact the environment? This is a good way to get at the usual question, "How does the environment affect human behavior?"

If you think about it, uncomfortable global warming could affect human psychology and create general malaise. How can we reinvigorate humanity's own sense of self-organization?

I take the bus quite often, especially when I go into the city. Otherwise, I drive a relatively fuel-efficient Saab.

My personal 'carbon footprint' should be compared to my daily recycling habits (I recycle my plastic water bottles regularly).

Transport Legislation Review