Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:35 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Towards a greener planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Two years later the SUV was gone and replaced with a Chrysler 300!
Is that a chickmobile too? My girlfriend wants one.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Is that a chickmobile too? My girlfriend wants one.
Certainly not. As more than a few girls that I know have pointed out, that car is the most blatant or overt testosterone-inspired car on the market. It apparently oozes testosterone even more than a Hummer does.

No doubt that, like the Hummer, it is extremely popular with the 'small dick' types.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 02:37 PM
This wine needs more whisky

People want big and nice cars to show they can 'afford' it.

Anywho, I have always wanted a big truck. I always liked them...must be the country girl in me.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 02:41 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
People want big and nice cars to show they can 'afford' it.

Anywho, I have always wanted a big truck. I always liked them...must be the country girl in me.
I've always preferred little trucks. They can do *most* of the things that people "need" big trucks to do, but can do it with a four-banger.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 08:27 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I've always preferred little trucks. They can do *most* of the things that people "need" big trucks to do, but can do it with a four-banger.
Perhaps in the flatlands. Gearing down a low torque 4-banger differential ratio to handle mountainous areas and/or heavy loads results in fuel economy levels that rival a V6 or V8.

If US industry supported small displacement high torque diesel engines common in Asia, Europe and elsewhere US small dick drivers wouldn't have any big toys with high manufacturer margin to buy.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 07:57 AM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
If US industry supported small displacement high torque diesel engines common in Asia, Europe and elsewhere US small dick drivers wouldn't have any big toys with high manufacturer margin to buy.
Thank you for bringing that up. Diesel engine technology has made some big advances in the past few years. One excellent example is the Hyundai CRDi. The 2.0 liter CRDi meets Euro-5 emissions standards, averages 15.4 kpl (over 36 mpg) in an SUV and develops 187 hp. If you didn't know it was a diesel you wouldn't be able to tell just by driving it.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 08:56 AM
Official Forum Mascot

The diesel Jetta has been available state-side for years.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 09:44 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
The diesel Jetta has been available state-side for years.
Mercedes has a diesel that with regard to sound, smell and acceleration is indistinguishable from a gasoline engine. One doesn't even have to wait for the glow plugs to heat up before starting it. Full-sized, 41mpg highway.

In 2005 US diesel refiners supposedly added an extra emissions compliance step that pushed diesel fuel consumer pump cost to beyond that of premium gasoline, where it remains to this day. Commercial users are exempt. That doesn't create US demand for personal diesel powered vehicles for other than image marketed monster trucks.

Much of Europe subsidizes diesel fuel at the pump to encourage higher mpg vehicles which results in reducing imports and subsequent trade deficits. The US subsidizes US oil companies, who have no incentive to reduce margin by touting higher mpg vehicles, actually quite the opposite.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 09:45 AM
Villager

Quote:
One doesn't even have to wait for the glow plugs to heat up before starting it.
pffft...My '93 Pajero does that.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 09:51 AM
Villager

What's interesting to me is the massive denial of a transition period. There seems to be widespread belief that we can switch from fossil fuels to "alternative" energy sources in an existential instant. The unfortunate reality is the transition period may and most likely will cover a couple of decades. During this time we cannot dismiss shale oil, oil sands or (dare I say) nu-cu-ler power. I don't relish the fact of carving up the landscape for more fossilized lifeforms to power our SUVs but it is what it is. It's either that or we go back to a pre-industrialized society.