Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Mar 18th 2011, 08:56 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Towards a greener planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn8ter View Post
What's a green car?
That would be a solar-powered car.

In reality, nobody does "green" - all people really mean when they use the term is "slightly less toxic, wasteful and environmentally damaging than last year's model".
Old Mar 18th 2011, 09:13 PM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That would be a solar-powered car.

In reality, nobody does "green" - all people really mean when they use the term is "slightly less toxic, wasteful and environmentally damaging than last year's model".
Good answer. I'd just like to point to the Toyota Prius as an example. When you compile all the materials and global shipping of those materials needed to produce a Prius you discover that the entire process creates more pollution/greenhouse gases than a Lincoln Navigator.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 12:14 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn8ter View Post
Good answer. I'd just like to point to the Toyota Prius as an example. When you compile all the materials and global shipping of those materials needed to produce a Prius you discover that the entire process creates more pollution/greenhouse gases than a Lincoln Navigator.
I think things like the Chevy Cruz are more important developments than the Prius. Especially in cultural terms.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 07:39 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I think things like the Chevy Cruz are more important developments than the Prius. Especially in cultural terms.
Why didn't GM just name it Corolla II?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 07:43 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Indeed. Culture trumps technology.

Who Killed the Electric Car?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:31 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Why didn't GM just name it Corolla II?
Because Corolla is a Toyota and they aren't the same line of cars?
Quote:
Indeed. Culture trumps technology.

Who Killed the Electric Car?
Yeah. But my point was that the Cruze is a small, modest, efficient vehicle, that seems to be quite popular.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 09:27 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Because Corolla is a Toyota and they aren't the same line of cars?

Yeah. But my point was that the Cruze is a small, modest, efficient vehicle, that seems to be quite popular.
My point being it is just a copy of Corolla and other small, modest efficient vehicles that have been around for decades. GM's historical lack of desire to develop and market innovative small vehicles is seemingly still in place. To me that signals no change for GM while Americans curse developing country re engineering of existing products.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
My point being it is just a copy of Corolla and other small, modest efficient vehicles that have been around for decades. GM's historical lack of desire to develop and market innovative small vehicles is seemingly still in place. To me that signals no change for GM while Americans curse developing country re engineering of existing products.
It ain't GM's fault. They can only make cars that will actually sell - and consumers prefer to buy big fat SUV's and bad-ass testosterone-fueled pickup trucks not energy efficient small cars.

Indeed, I'm always amazed by the number of those big shiny brand new pickups with diesel engines and double wheels in the back that I see commuting on the city highways - or parked in city parking lots. They just look stupid and entirely out of place.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 09:51 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
It ain't GM's fault. They can only make cars that will actually sell - and consumers prefer to buy big fat SUV's and bad-ass testosterone-fueled pickup trucks not energy efficient small cars.

Indeed, I'm always amazed by the number of those big shiny brand new pickups with diesel engines and double wheels in the back that I see commuting on the city highways - or parked in city parking lots. They just look stupid and entirely out of place.
That's what they've been told to drive by their peer groups who react to marketing strategies. Detroit has long been addicted to high margins on big pieces.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
That's what they've been told to drive by their peer groups who react to marketing strategies. Detroit has long been addicted to high margins on big pieces.
Yes, this is so true. We had a lot of fun at work a couple of years ago when one of the guys showed up to show off his new big-ass SUV.

A bunch of us took one look at the thing and said, "why did you buy a chickmobile?" Statistics show that more SUV's are bought by women than men. Apparently women perceive these big monsters as being "safe".

You should have seen the look on his face. He spent the next three months sulking about it and arguing that SUV's are 'masculine'.

Two years later the SUV was gone and replaced with a Chrysler 300!