Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Apr 19th 2010, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: The World According to Monsanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I imagine Monsanto shareholders are pretty happy though.
I suspect they are amongst those who are the loudest bitching about immigration policy.

Cognitive dissonance is a common state of affairs.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 04:18 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I went searching for a previous Monsanto thread to give it a *bump* but I couldn't find it!

No doubt about it, Monsanto's corporate history is so ugly that I'd be suspicious about anything that company wants to do!
I did the same and couldn't find anything. It seems I've been out of the loop on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
When subsistence growers can't sell their meager surpluses for hard income because they can't meet the prices of subsidized US corn, villages experience economic decline. Larger growers who service higher population markets meet the same fate. We're starving people out of Mexico and bitching because they come here.

What struck me in watching the segment about Mexican farmers was this concept, exactly. I then wondered then how many more subsistence farms and small community farmers around the world Monsanto has effectively poisoned with its genitically altered corn and soy.

By the way, Monsanto earns royalties for every measure of crop grown from their mutant seed, so the incentive to spread globally is irresistable. We have a multinatational giant potentially controlling the means of food production for the world, and using deadly pesticides and evironmentally damaging fertilizers to do it. If the end-times prophets need something to put on their placards, I'd suggest "Monsanto."
Old Apr 20th 2010, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
I did the same and couldn't find anything. It seems I've been out of the loop on this one.
I have that documentary at home and posted a thread on it a while back. Must have gotten lost in the "Big Crash" of October 08.

What I found most disturbing about Monsanto is their previous corporate history before they entered the genetically modified seed business.

That was their incarnation as a chemical conglomerate and how they fought tooth and nail for decades to avoid paying any damages to the thousands of people they poisoned back in the 1940's and 1950's.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 02:17 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post

What struck me in watching the segment about Mexican farmers was this concept, exactly. I then wondered then how many more subsistence farms and small community farmers around the world Monsanto has effectively poisoned with its genitically altered corn and soy.

By the way, Monsanto earns royalties for every measure of crop grown from their mutant seed, so the incentive to spread globally is irresistable. We have a multinatational giant potentially controlling the means of food production for the world, and using deadly pesticides and evironmentally damaging fertilizers to do it. If the end-times prophets need something to put on their placards, I'd suggest "Monsanto."
Just ask Percy Schmeiser. He's one of the few setting precedent of victory over the giant.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Just ask Percy Schmeiser. He's one of the few setting precedent of victory over the giant.
That's a mighty slim victory - one that loses on all the key 'precedential' points of law.

So the farmer doesn't have to pay royalties this time. That's the ONLY conclusion I can see from that case.

It is to be noted that the Canadian government takes their marching orders from the US Department of Agriculture on genetically modified foods.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 09:50 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That's a mighty slim victory - one that loses on all the key 'precedential' points of law.

So the farmer doesn't have to pay royalties this time. That's the ONLY conclusion I can see from that case.

It is to be noted that the Canadian government takes their marching orders from the US Department of Agriculture on genetically modified foods.
The US is Canada's largest natural energy resource consumer (customer). To deny US big ag demands, which are chump change in comparison to natural resource exports, just isn't going to happen.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:17 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Thread Bump.

I thought I had started a thread about modern day sharecropping that I was trying to find, but this thread is even more appropriate for this. The fox fucking BUILT this hen house. Forget the banks...
Old Jan 31st 2012, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Thread Bump.

I thought I had started a thread about modern day sharecropping that I was trying to find, but this thread is even more appropriate for this. The fox fucking BUILT this hen house. Forget the banks...
Monsanto virtually OWNS the entire US Department of Agriculture (or at least, the parts not already owned by the Cattle Ranching industry).
Old Aug 11th 2012, 08:21 PM
Cranky Curmudgeon

The late Sam Kinison addresses world hunger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0q4o58pKwA