Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old May 22nd 2009, 09:42 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I love Palahniuk's older work but I haven't read anything else since Haunted which I thought was awful.
Lullaby was the first book of his I read and I fell in love. I don't believe I made it through Haunted. Is that the one with the short stories in it? (The one where the boy has his intestines sucked out while jerking off in the swimming pool?!) Choke was wonderful as well as Survivor. In Rant he took a different spin. It wound up he had time traveled and slept with his own mother which resulted in him being his own father (maybe I should bring that up in the Incest thread)
Old May 22nd 2009, 09:46 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
Lullaby was the first book of his I read and I fell in love. I don't believe I made it through Haunted. Is that the one with the short stories in it? (The one where the boy has his intestines sucked out while jerking off in the swimming pool?!) Choke was wonderful as well as Survivor. In Rant he took a different spin. It wound up he had time traveled and slept with his own mother which resulted in him being his own father (maybe I should bring that up in the Incest thread)
Survivor is my absolute favorite of his.
Old May 22nd 2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
Survivor is my absolute favorite of his.
Yeah, I got that good warm feeling in my stomach after I read it. That's when you know something is good. Now, I'll have to go check it out at the library and read it again. Thanks!

Is anyone here a Jane Austin fan?
Old May 22nd 2009, 04:17 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Yeah, I got that good warm feeling in my stomach after I read it. That's when you know something is good. Now, I'll have to go check it out at the library and read it again. Thanks!

I own that, don't I?

Lullaby was my favorite. If I had a superpower, I want it to be the ability to kill with a thought. I would use it. A lot. And his new one, Pygmy, sounds interesting. I may check it out.

I've thought about writing a Bukoski/Palahniuk-style book. Sort of a streaming observation commenting on all the idiots of the world as the narrator walks through. I could write it much faster than I am The Ascension.
Old May 22nd 2009, 04:20 PM
Official Forum Mascot

I just bought my girlfriend the Ancestor's Tale, but she's gone until Monday, so I might just do a quick little re-read.
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:23 PM
Villager

Quote:

I think she's a good author, though it's teeth gnashing to overlook the standard submissive woman role of Victorian era. If you like her, I can tell ya a bunch of good books in the same vein (just finished George Eliot's Middlemarch--fantastic)
Old May 23rd 2009, 07:19 AM
Globetrotter

^
I've got Middlemarch too. Good read. I probably have one or more Jane Austen's too but I'm too lazy to check right now.

After reading 'lesser' stuff for a few months, the last being Mitchener's Centennial -go figure- I finally got the urge back to delve into my backlog of brainy stuff. I just started 'Die Kleine Weltgeschichte der Philosophie' by H.J. Störig, which translates as The history of Philosophy and appears to be a standard work everywhere except in the English speaking countries. It starts of with the Veda which is nice because I have a soft spot for those.
Old May 23rd 2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
I own that, don't I?

Lullaby was my favorite. If I had a superpower, I want it to be the ability to kill with a thought. I would use it. A lot. And his new one, Pygmy, sounds interesting. I may check it out.

I've thought about writing a Bukoski/Palahniuk-style book. Sort of a streaming observation commenting on all the idiots of the world as the narrator walks through. I could write it much faster than I am The Ascension.
Ah! Yes, you do. You let me borrow it. I swear those damn people at the home are rubbing off on me
Old May 25th 2009, 09:42 AM
Globetrotter

I just finished reading Michael Connelly's latest novel 'The Scarecrow'. While I do think he's a fine author and always enjoy his offerings, what fascinated me more than anything in this book was the how the villains, a serial killer and his 'protege', used the Internet to evaluate, select, manipulate and locate their victims. This book points out the simple fact that if one uses the Internet, be it individual, business or government, we are in an era of zero privacy. A 'can't put it down' thriller.
Old May 31st 2009, 04:25 AM
Citizen

Quote:
I am. I read all Jane Austen's books and two of them twice.