Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Feb 13th 2013, 02:38 AM
Globetrotter

Default Ridiculous

Quote:

Olympic Fixture Since 708 B.C. Will Be Dropped

Wrestling, one of the earliest and most elemental Olympic sports, was dropped from the Summer Games on Tuesday in a stunning and widely criticized decision by the International Olympic Committee.

Apart from track and field, wrestling is considered by many the oldest competitive sport, one that made its first appearance at the ancient Olympic Games in 708 B.C. and thrives on its rudimentary attractiveness — one athlete trying to subdue another, not with equipment but with the fundamental use of the arms, upper body and legs.

Yet it was precisely the traditional nature of wrestling that appeared to doom it. A shift in priority has occurred in an era of outsize television contracts as Olympic officials seek to add more telegenic sports and more widely visible stars in hopes of maintaining a sense of relevance, modernity and youthfulness in the Winter and the Summer Games.

Both freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling will be contested at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, but they will be excluded from the 2020 Summer Games, for which a host city has not yet been named, the I.O.C. said Tuesday.

The decision to drop wrestling was made by secret ballot by the Olympic committee’s 15-member executive board at its headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland. The exact vote and the reasons for the decision were not given in detail.

There is a chance that the Olympic Committee could reverse its decision in May, when it considers a 26th sport to add to the 2020 Games. A final decision will be made in September, but wrestling’s immediate Olympic future seemed doubtful, according to veteran observers of the Games.

In recent years, the I.O.C. has expressed concern about the growing size of the Summer Games and has wanted to cap the number of athletes at about 10,500. It has also said that it wants to attract younger viewers to the international television audience. On Tuesday, the committee said in a statement that it wanted to ensure that it remained “relevant to sports fans of all generations.”

Olympic-style wrestling, with its amateur roots and absence of visibility except during the Games, does not have superstars with widespread international acclaim like Lionel Messi in soccer, Kobe Bryant in basketball, Tiger Woods in golf and Usain Bolt in track. And in the United States, the popularity of Olympic-style wrestling is surpassed by the staged bombast of professional wrestling.

Sports like snowboarding have been added to the Winter Games to broaden their appeal. Golf and rugby will return at the 2016 Rio Games after long absences. Among the sports that wrestling must compete with for future inclusion are rock climbing, rollerblading and wakeboarding.

The I.O.C. may have also grown frustrated that Greco-Roman wrestling did not include women, experts said. Women began participating in freestyle wrestling at the 2004 Athens Games.

Politics, too, play an inevitable role in the workings of the I.O.C. Among the sports surviving Tuesday’s vote was modern pentathlon, also threatened, and less popular internationally than wrestling. But modern pentathlon, a five-event sport that includes shooting, horseback riding and running, was invented by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Games. And it is supported by Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr., son of a former I.O.C. president and a member of its executive board.

Mark Adams, a spokesman for the I.O.C., told reporters in Lausanne that Tuesday’s vote was a “process of renewing and renovating the program for the Olympics.”

He added: “In the view of the executive board, this was the best program for the Olympic Games in 2020. It’s not a case of what’s wrong with wrestling, it is what’s right with the 25 core sports.”

Wrestling’s world governing body, known by its initials as FILA and based in Switzerland, said it was “greatly astonished” by Tuesday’s decision and would take “all necessary measures” to persuade the I.O.C. to keep the sport in the Summer Games.

The vote to eliminate Olympic wrestling produced immediate and widespread criticism.

“I think this is a really stupid decision,” the Olympic historian David Wallechinsky said, noting that wrestling “was in the ancient Olympics.”

He added: “It has been in the modern Olympics since 1896. In London, 29 different countries won medals. This is a popular sport.”

Wrestling seemed in many ways to be the perfect Olympic sport. It is as basic as running; it has broad global appeal, with governing bodies in 180 countries and a power base that extends from the United States to Russia to Japan to India to Iran; and it is contested in a small area that is easily depicted on TV. Perhaps most important, the Olympics are considered wrestling’s ultimate competition, which is not the case in soccer and in basketball.

Through the years, Olympic wrestling has provided a number of stirring moments, perhaps none that surpassed the shocking Greco-Roman victory by Rulon Gardner of the United States over the heavily favored Aleksandr Karelin of Russia — who had not lost in 13 years — at the 2000 Sydney Games.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/sp...2020.html?_r=0

Well, Russia did not like this very much.

Already, Ivan Bolotov, 2007 Champion of Russia in Greco-Roman wrestling

said this is a political move aimed at Russia and other former Soviet countries like Armenia and Kazakhstan, who all always do well in wrestling.

Bolotov says the IOC is deliberately trying to keep Russia from winning medals at Olympics.
http://lenta.ru/news/2013/02/12/bolotov/

Bilial Makhov, who took Bronze for Russia in London Olympics

also said this is a terrible decision and probably aimed against Russia "because everyone knows we consistently dominate the sport and always win most medals"
http://izvestia.ru/news/544810

And, of course, the legend, Aleksandr Karelin

also alleged and anti-Russian conspiracy, but said this isn't over, the Russian Sport Wrestling Federation and Russian Olympic Committee will fight this "to the end".
http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=68389

The last part was echoed by the head of RSWF, Mikhail Mamiashvili

who said he has spoken with Sergei Bubka, Russia's representative at the IOC; and is flying out tomorrow to a meeting with the International Wrestling Federation, where this will also be discussed.
http://fcp-press.ru/interview/p2_articleid/6486

Russia will not take this lightly, that I can guarantee. We have an enormous tradition in wrestling, going back to the likes of Ivan Poddubny

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Poddubny

Ivan Zaikin

The only man Zaikin ever lost to was above mentioned Poddubny

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%97%...B2%D0%B8%D1%87

And Ivan Lebedev

who also was involved in power-sports and revered for his physical strength and considered our first body-builder.

Today, many boys learn wrestling since early age

In North Caucasus, it is especially huge, a true national sport for young Ossetians, Ingush, Chechens, Dagestanis, etc.

More than a sport, a way out of poverty, unemployment, crime, and misery of their home regions, to national championships, Olympic medals, fame, and wealth, and a better life not just for themselves, but also their families.

When Jamal Otarsultanov won Gold in London

he was not the only one celebrating: 1,200,000 Chechens celebrated with him. In the dangerous streets of Grozny, people danced and men fired AKs in the air.

A small mining town in rural Siberia was similarly galvanized when Roman Vlasov took his Gold medal

I read that the local bar was destroyed that day: locals watching their Romik win began hurling furniture around in drunken ecstasy lol That is the power of this sport here.

So, I understand why many here are taking this IOC decision as a very much personal affront. To Russians, it is, deeply so. This is our sport. If Americans can have their baseball in the Olympics, which nobody but them cares about, why cannot our boys wrestle for their country? Pathetic, Russophobic fools, the IOC, in my opinion.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 09:03 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

Default Re: Ridiculous

Baseball isn't in the Olympics anymore, sadly.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 09:16 AM
Globetrotter

As far as I'm concerned this is a matter between the Olympic committee and the wrestling association... and... maybe.... also....

people --- who --- are --- interested --- in --- wrestling --- or --- in --- the --- Olympics.

People who know Jack Shite about wrestling and Jack Shite about the Olympics are not involved here.

MeMyselfandI, learn before you speak (see below)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
If Americans can have their baseball in the Olympics, which nobody but them cares about, why cannot our boys wrestle for their country? Pathetic, Russophobic fools, the IOC, in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
Baseball isn't in the Olympics anymore, sadly.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Feb 13th 2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 04:41 PM
Globetrotter

Alright, I take back what I said about baseball.

But, there are other "sports" in the Olympics that should not be there IMHO Like Ping-Pong. Which is played by Chinese from China and Taiwan vs. Chinese immigrants from the West lol Very "international", yes?

Meanwhile, wrestling is part of many culture within Russia.

Native Siberian/Mongol Khapsagai, practiced in Buryatia, Yakutia, Khakasia, Tuva, Kalmykia, and smaller native Siberian minorities

Kuresh, Tatar wrestling with belts, practiced in Tatarstan, Bashkortostan, Chuvashia, and Tatar, Bashkir, and Chuvash communities elsewhere in Russia and most commonly seen at their Kurultai cultural festivals

Spas, Cossack hand-to-hand combat system, which has a big wrestling and grappling element, as well as striking

And then, of course, there is the ever-popular Sambo (Samooborona bez Oruzhia / Self-defense without weapons) invented once for Soviet police and military, and combining all the above and other indigenous Russian styles and also Judo and such

And, as I said, actual European-type Freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling are big here too, with teams and sections for children at schools, etc.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 04:42 PM
Globetrotter

And it is not just Russia and former CCCP. Wrestling is very popular, for example, in Africa, where they have many native styles of their own

India, where they have Kushti wrestling and such
Iran also has good wrestlers
And in America too, I know, wrestling is also very popular, with school and university teams

Very dumb decision by IOC, in my opinion. I understand they want to remove karate too. I guess next, they will take off boxing as well. Our boys will have to learn how to be men from fucking figure skaters...
Old Feb 13th 2013, 04:51 PM
Globetrotter

MeMyselfandI, are you interested in the Olympics?
Are you interested in the sport of wrestling?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 05:15 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
MeMyselfandI, are you interested in the Olympics?
Are you interested in the sport of wrestling?
My oldest daughter recently joined a wrestling team for girls. Two of my nephews also wrestle. These children all perhaps dreamt of becoming Olympians some day, and now may not have that chance, and that makes me mad.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 09:38 PM
World Citizen

Extremely disappointing. Wrestling is one of those sports that breeds both local and global fraternity since it's something anyone can get involved with regardless of weightclass or background. It's far more civilized than MMA also.

I guess it's just not popular anymore though. :-(
Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:50 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
Extremely disappointing. Wrestling is one of those sports that breeds both local and global fraternity since it's something anyone can get involved with regardless of weightclass or background. It's far more civilized than MMA also.

I guess it's just not popular anymore though. :-(
Maybe in America. Here in Russia, there is still much interest, growing, in fact. Just as there is in other combat sports and martial arts. Men and boys are into that here. Males are supposed to be tough, fighters, that is the popular view

And, lately, young women have been getting involved in wrestling too

When Natalia Vorobyova won Women's Wrestling Gold in London

it inspired many young girls here, including my own daughter
Old Sep 8th 2013, 03:15 PM
Globetrotter

Wrestling has been reinstated into the Olympics.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/24009517

In fact, the IOC chose wrestling over a combination of baseball and softball, so certainly not russophobic.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Sep 8th 2013 at 03:21 PM.