Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Sep 15th 2012, 01:46 PM
Globetrotter

Default England always at Wembley

Nowadays, the England football team plays all its home matches at Wembley.

This is ridiculous - the England team should play home matches in different cities, not only London. There are magnificent stadia around England that could accommodate all the fans.

England is a small country, but it isn't Belgium, and it's a big hassle for fans to have to travel from Newcastle, Liverpool or Plymouth if they want to see England.

It sends out the wrong signal too. London should host all the matches, because London is London - ridiculous.

What do other people think?
Old Sep 15th 2012, 08:58 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: England always at Wembley

Probably a stupid question as I don't know much about football but don't all national teams play all their games in the capital ?
Old Sep 15th 2012, 09:23 PM
Resident Anthropologist

It always amazes me the concerns that people from very small countries have about these things. My country spans six time zones and many, many things take place in the three biggest cities, which are no where near me. I of course prefer it that way on many levels. Regarding your specific question though, I think it would be difficult for a sports team to co-ordinate a home stadium that shifted due to the sheer logistics of everything else that goes along with a national team, regardless of sport. Having a regular place assures that all the things that really matter (holders of real money like sponsors) are placated.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 01:22 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Probably a stupid question as I don't know much about football but don't all national teams play all their games in the capital ?
No. Poland play their home matches in different Polish cities. Last week they played in Wroclaw, but the next home match will be in Warsaw. While the new Wembley was being built England played in many different cities, and the crowds were always very enthusiastic, and the players enjoyed it.

Greendruid, I don't see what the size of Canada has to do with whether an English football fan who lives in Newcastle might feel irritated that every single home match, for absolutely no apparent reason, has to be played in the opposite part of the country.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Sep 16th 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 04:00 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
No. Poland play their home matches in different Polish cities. Last week they played in Wroclaw, but the next home match will be in Warsaw. While the new Wembley was being built England played in many different cities, and the crowds were always very enthusiastic, and the players enjoyed it.

Greendruid, I don't see what the size of Canada has to do with whether an English football fan who lives in Newcastle might feel irritated that every single home match, for absolutely no apparent reason, has to be played in the opposite part of the country.
No, I thought you might not.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 04:04 PM
Globetrotter

The size of Canada is not preventing the FA from staging England matches in various cities, so that more fans can see the national team, without the inconvenience and expense of travelling all the way to London.

If London had been the only city with a big stadium, it would be one thing, but it isn't.

Canada is so big that there national team cannot possible hope to play matches near all its inhabitants. England doesn't have that disadvantage, so why on earth doesn't it take advantage of its smallness.

Can someone please provide a sensible reason why England have to play all their home matches in one city?

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Sep 17th 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 05:06 PM
Globetrotter

Here, most international football games, especially where Russian National Team plays, but also club matches too, are held at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow

Other cities want it too, but, at this time, Luzhniki is the only over-80,000-seat stadium we have. But some big ones are being built in Saint Petersburg and Kazan, Tatarstan right now also, for 2018 World Championship.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 05:13 PM
Globetrotter

Russia's last competitive home match was played at the Lokomotiv Stadium in Moscow.
Russia 2-0 Northern Ireland

How many people were there? 14,300. So don't tell me they need an 80,000 stadium for every qualifying match.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 05:23 PM
Globetrotter

Russia's last competitive home matches: (starting with the most recent, and going back in time)

Northern Ireland, 14,300 people (Lokomotive Stadium, Moscow)

Andorra, 38,800 people (Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow)

Republic of Ireland, 50,000 people (Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow)

Macedonia, 31,000 people (Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow)

Armenia, 18,000 people (Petrovsky Stadium, St. Petersburg)

Slovakia, 27,000 people (Lokomotiv Stadium, Moscow)

So they certainly don't require a stadium with room for 80,000 people.
And they also did play 1 match in St. Petersburg, although it's absolutely ridiculous that all the others were played in Moscow. Absolutely ridiculous!
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:21 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Russia's last competitive home matches: (starting with the most recent, and going back in time)

Northern Ireland, 14,300 people (Lokomotive Stadium, Moscow)

Andorra, 38,800 people (Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow)

Republic of Ireland, 50,000 people (Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow)

Macedonia, 31,000 people (Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow)

Armenia, 18,000 people (Petrovsky Stadium, St. Petersburg)

Slovakia, 27,000 people (Lokomotiv Stadium, Moscow)

So they certainly don't require a stadium with room for 80,000 people.
And they also did play 1 match in St. Petersburg, although it's absolutely ridiculous that all the others were played in Moscow. Absolutely ridiculous!
I meant important games: Russia-England, Russia-Germany in Euro 2008; Chelsea vs. Manchester United, I think, they played here a couple years back. Etc. All at Luzhniki.