Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Mar 7th 2012, 03:37 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Strikeball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBTRob View Post
StrikeBall n Airsoft isn't about self harm or activity, it's about live gaming FPS. Think of it as Chess for grown men/women. And unlike war it doesn't have the side effects like death.

I got into strokeball/airsoft because I needed a less costly training tool for my work. One that also allowed myself and my clients to learn from mistakes made with safety issues. I learned it's safety and low cost was an absolute bonus and then fell in love with the gaming portion of it.

It's a not a sport for everyone, then again neither is billiards, badminton and rhythmic gymnastics. Each their own.
I think I sould put you in the picture, about why I mentioned self-harm.
MeMyselfandI, who is a very intellectual person, and his foreign language skills appear to be truly amazing, sometimes shows his Russian macho way of thinking. This thread contains one specific classic example; I've been arguing that people who are mentally adult, is enough and that all the other stuff in strikeball is pretty pointless. To this, MeMyselfandI retorted that you can get injured in strikeball. I cannot see the point in getting injured, and so I mentioned deliberate self=harm as a cheap way of getting the injuries, which apparently comprise an 'advantage' of strikeball.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 03:53 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I think I sould put you in the picture, about why I mentioned self-harm.
MeMyselfandI, who is a very intellectual person, and his foreign language skills appear to be truly amazing, sometimes shows his Russian macho way of thinking. This thread contains one specific classic example; I've been arguing that people who are mentally adult, is enough and that all the other stuff in strikeball is pretty pointless. To this, MeMyselfandI retorted that you can get injured in strikeball. I cannot see the point in getting injured, and so I mentioned deliberate self=harm as a cheap way of getting the injuries, which apparently comprise an 'advantage' of strikeball.
No, you were arguing that a run in the morning is the same as playing strikeball. And I was explaining to you it is not.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 04:07 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
No, you were arguing that a run in the morning is the same as playing strikeball. And I was explaining to you it is not.
Yes, but why on earth would you CHOOSE to play strikeball instead of running, if the main difference is that in strikeball you can get seriously injured - answer: because one is macho and one WANTS to put oneself at risk of serious injury - that is why I said that if that is so important, why not just go for a run in the morning, then self-harm afterwards.

You'll have to excuse me - it's hard to use the word 'strikeball' without laughing
Old Mar 7th 2012, 04:11 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Yes, but why on earth would you CHOOSE to play strikeball instead of running, if the main difference is that in strikeball you can get seriously injured - answer: because one is macho and one WANTS to put oneself at risk of serious injury - that is why I said that if that is so important, why not just go for a run in the morning, then self-harm afterwards.

You'll have to excuse me - it's hard to use the word 'strikeball' without laughing
The element of danger does have some effect on me, I will agree
Old Mar 7th 2012, 04:15 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
The element of danger does have some effect on me, I will agree
So why not just go for a run in the morning, and then self-harm afterwards - you get all the health benefits of strikeball (fresh air, exercise) and you get the danger aspect too (injuries). It would be a money-saving version of strikeball, wouldn't it? Oh, and a game of ping-pong for the strategy effect (and there you have it, cheap strikeball)
Old Mar 7th 2012, 04:20 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
So why not just go for a run in the morning, and then self-harm afterwards - you get all the health benefits of strikeball (fresh air, exercise) and you get the danger aspect too (injuries). It would be a money-saving version of strikeball, wouldn't it? Oh, and a game of ping-pong for the strategy effect (and there you have it, cheap strikeball)
That seems... stupid and pointless? Besides, strikeball makes me feel like I am in the NI again. You know, years back, when I was actively serving, like most young Naval Infantrymen, I dreamt to actually go into a real battle some day. The older men, those who been to Afghan and such, shook their heads at us, "Do not make wishes you will regret", but we did not listen. Well, we were fortunate, we never experienced any real combat, my generation. But, it also meant, that that will, that silly dream to fight in battle, has not been knocked out of us by the reality of a actual war. So, we satyed as we were back then. And, that is why we need strikeball
Old Mar 7th 2012, 04:24 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
That seems... stupid and pointless? Besides, strikeball makes me feel like I am in the NI again. You know, years back, when I was actively serving, like most young Naval Infantrymen, I dreamt to actually go into a real battle some day. The older men, those who been to Afghan and such, shook their heads at us, "Do not make wishes you will regret", but we did not listen. Well, we were fortunate, we never experienced any real combat, my generation. But, it also meant, that that will, that silly dream to fight in battle, has not been knocked out of us by the reality of a actual war. So, we satyed as we were back then. And, that is why we need strikeball
I'm not being entirely serious You play as much strikeball as you like. Actually, i'm jolly grateful to you for telling me about strikeball - I told my students about it today, and they laughed as much as I did
Old Mar 7th 2012, 05:04 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:

I can hardly believe that you throw so much money away on strikeball.
All those uniforms and weapons, when all you need really is a pair of trainers, for a lovely run along a river bank. I just cannot fathom it.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 10:50 AM
World Citizen

Life is too short to do what other people want you to do.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 06:49 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Does anybody play strikeball here? I love the game. It is like paintball, but with far more ralistic weapons and actual plastic "bullets" instead of balls with paint.

I play every month. There is a club, near Moscow, at what used to be a military training range and was purchased, in the 90s, by the above mentioned strikeball club.

There are seven teams of varying sizes.

Naemniki ("Mercenaries")

They who wish they were Americans lol

KGB

which, in thsi case, stands for Komanda Goroda Bolshevo (Bolshevo City Team, Bolshevo being a town near Moscow where the team is based). Those guys are strange ones. They all have alternative names/nicknames, in English, which, as you can see, they display on their uniforms. I believe they base their design on the American SWAT. Could be wrong about that though...

Blue Helmets

Because they wear blue helmets

Khishnik ("Predator")

Only team on the range that has a woman, Alyona, third from left there, in it.

Volkodavy ("Wolf Killers")

The name is from a Russian wolf hunting dog. This team is made up of professional hunters.

Partizany ("Guerillas")

Also known as "Forest Brothers".

And, finally, my team, Black Devils

We are actually the largest team at the moment. Black Devil is a common name for Marine in Russia, and we are all Naval Infantry/Marine veterans (mostly guys from my firm too), so we have the real NI sleeve patches, and carry the Saint Andrei flag of the Russian Navy I am not sure about our current manpower, we are going through a reshuffling right now, having lost a member who moved away to Saint Petersburg and also having admitted 2 new guys. We play with only Russia weaponry, as we are Marines, patriots Also, because of our Commander, Mikhail's high level contacts in the actual Navy and Naval Infantry, he was able to get us real Snow Camouflage sets

which gives a great advantage in winter.

Yes, we all get together every month or so and... play war Yes, it may sound silly, I know. It is good training though and not just with weapons. Reaction, stamina.

finally russia comes up with a better invention than russian roulette.