Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Feb 14th 2012, 06:32 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Strikeball?

MeMyselfandI,
Thanks - my running may seem mundane to you, but to me it's just a glorious glorious thing to do - I love it! - and by the way, you really mustn't take me too seriously, when I joke about strikeball - it's only meant as banter I have known people who play paintball, and have got on very well with them. It's just not for me, same as horse riding isn't for me.

PS: I greatly admire your naval infantry running. Just not for me, that's all

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Feb 14th 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 06:38 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
Why does it matter who's running where, or what each of you likes to do?

Nick, if you're not interested, why in the world do you feel the need to shit in his thread, FFS?
It is okay, really. Diversity of opinions is what makes life interesting. Would be dull if everyone just nodded along and agreed with each other all the time, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
MeMyselfandI,
Thanks - my running may seem mundane to you, but to me it's just a glorious glorious thing to do - I love it! - and by the way, you really mustn't take me too seriously, when I joke about strikeball - it's only meant as banter I have known people who play paintball, and have got on very well with them. It's just not for me, same as horse riding isn't for me.
Horse riding... I had tried that, once. Of course, among the Old Orthodox, this is widespread, the horse is still used for transportation over there. But after I was thrown off two or three times, I no longer had the will for it
Old Feb 14th 2012, 06:42 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
It is okay, really. Diversity of opinions is what makes life interesting. Would be dull if everyone just nodded along and agreed with each other all the time, no?

Horse riding... I had tried that, once. Of course, among the Old Orthodox, this is widespread, the horse is still used for transportation over there. But after I was thrown off two or three times, I no longer had the will for it
Pramjockey has caught the whiff of the possibility of being part of a little gang, that's why he's following me about, in that pathetic way. Unless he genuinely can't see the harmlessness of our discussion.

As for horse riding - it's popular among Cossacks, isn't it? They are the champions of horse riding - maybe that's why I don't do it
Old Feb 14th 2012, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
That is why I said "God forbid".

But, you know, there are many people here who obsess with conspiracies of NATO to attack Russia, especially to invade our European exclave Kaliningrad. There are also many who see potential aggressors in China or Japan. In fact, there is a video, "Russia without Putin? Welcome to Hell!"
http://vimeo.com/36281503
which was made, obviously, by Putin supporters, and talks about how, without Tsar Vladimir's strong leadership, the country would stumble, Nemtsov and other corrupt "dermocracts" (popular slur for democrats here, dermo = shit in Russian) would quickly plunder all the national resources, ultra-nationalists would take over Saint Petersburg (where they had always been strong), Islamists would seize control in North Caucasus, the Stavropol region would turn into a burnt, lifeless battle ground between Chechen and other Islamists and Cossack militias; NATO would roll into Kaliningrad; the Chinese PLA - into most of the South Eastern Siberian regions; and Japanese forces would land on the Kurilles, Sakhalin, and Vladivostok. Propaganda, obviously. But it shows you the current popular mindset here.
Well, I wouldn't discount all the internal chaos predicted, but you can be sure of one thing - no NATO forces are going to be rolling into Kaliningrad, no matter how weak Russia might be under any circumstances. Likewise with China and Japan. Anyone who suggests otherwise is an ill-educated moron who has no clue.

It is a basic fact of UN membership that any nation that invades another sovereign nation (without UNSC permission) is guilty of aggressive war and according to the UN Charter, it is the duty of all nations to make war against that aggressor. Neither China, nor Japan nor NATO is stupid enough to do anything like that.

Indeed, would China do something that would automatically make the US, NATO and Russia military allies against China? That would be insanely foolish thing for the Chinese to do.

And NATO's own population would not tolerate NATO violating the UN Charter.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 06:54 PM
Globetrotter

This is from August, I just found the photos.

My team checking weapons and preparing before the game starts

Two of our Black Devils deploying into the forest

A boat landing

We are trying to get a real Naval Infantry landing craft; but as it is we have to use this rubber boat.

A "killed" player (Grisha, one of ours) holds up a red ribbon to display his status

Our recently recruited "medic", Alisa (whose job is to take players with red ribbons from our team to the "hospital" in 10 minutes; if she fails to get them there in time, they are officially "killed" and must go to a special zone for the "dead" for the rest of the game)

at the entrance to our underground "base"

A enemy "prisoner" in one of the corridors of the base

He is on his way into the "cell", you can see the barred door.

More pictures of the base

Boris, our sniper

He is a currently serving Naval Infantry officer. Fought in Abkhazia in 2008; than participated in anti-pirate operations on Aden. One of our best and toughest.

Our other sniper, Yuri

Guard Lieutenant in reserve, Baltic Fleet Naval Infantry.

Our machine-gunner, Marat

Guard Major, Naval Infantry Northern Fleet, left the service 5 years ago, but wants to stay combat ready in case Russia needs him again.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 06:54 PM
Globetrotter

Black Devils prepare to defend the base

A battle

An enemy fighter surrenders

And the Naval Infantry wins, as always

Does that not seem a good way to spend a weekend, Nick?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 07:03 PM
Globetrotter

No - nothing wrong with a good long run
Old Feb 25th 2012, 05:25 AM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Black Devils prepare to defend the base

A battle

An enemy fighter surrenders

And the Naval Infantry wins, as always

Does that not seem a good way to spend a weekend, Nick?
Looks like so much fun to me! I would love to try something like this out sometime but it looks like a bit of an expensive hobby as well. Then again, you probably have good sources for your gear and weapons.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 09:44 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Looks like so much fun to me! I would love to try something like this out sometime but it looks like a bit of an expensive hobby as well. Then again, you probably have good sources for your gear and weapons.
The most expensive strikeball weapon set I can find on the Internet now

costs 17,150 rubles (about $572)
http://www.gun4fan.ru/Komplekt-strai...0739d629b97689

A bag of 4,000 bullet balls

costs 350 rubles or about $12
http://airsoft-rus.ru/catalog/2/item40.html

A military uniform costs about 4,900 rubles ($163)
http://www.garnison.ru/catalog/54/

I also pay about 3,000 rubles ($100) per month for membership in the strikeball club.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 11:49 PM
Resident Anthropologist

I will give Nick props for jogging being relatively low cost. A good pair of runners/trainers/joggers is all one really needs. The Strikeball equipment is actually lower in cost than I would have thought.