Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:06 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: For Nick, about "home grown" sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
No error in my post. However, there does appear to be an error in yours.

I made not such assertion about you.

Indeed, I made a general comment about a general topic with no reference to you or your opinions in any way. You're the one that claims it applies to you. I'd aver that's a guilty conscience speaking for those who are innocent of the issue have no need to defend themselves, since no accusation was made.
While I'm happy to hear that you didn't mean to refer to me, the first two sentences in your post appear to have been rather clumsy, because your use of the word 'this' right at the beginning, clearly looks as if it is referring to my post. And consequently the second sentence looks as if it is about my post. And also, the third sentences very much looks as if it confirms my interpretation (which you say was erroneous). I really think that if you look at the first three sentences, you'll see that.

So I'm happy to hear that you didn't mean to refer to me, but I think if you look at the first three sentences you'll see that your clumsy wording made it natural for me to believe you to be referring to my statement.

If you don't agree, you are welcome to tell me, but the main thing for me is that you didn't mean to say what I thought you said.
__________________
Europe

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Feb 28th 2014 at 12:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Feb 28th 2014, 01:20 AM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: For Nick, about "home grown" sports

So what if you compete for Yugoslavia in the Olympics? What are you supposed to do after fragmentation?
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Feb 28th 2014, 04:19 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: For Nick, about "home grown" sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
So what if you compete for Yugoslavia in the Olympics? What are you supposed to do after fragmentation?
Play for one of the teams that represent a country which used to be part of Yugoslavia.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Feb 28th 2014, 06:50 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: For Nick, about "home grown" sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I think football has the best idea - (and please remember I'm not talking about club football, just national teams) - you can only play for one national team in your whole career. We are living in an age when many people have strong affinities with more than one country, so it's impractical to just say "You must play for your own country". So, as long as the snowboarder has never represented another country previously, then he is as Russian as Chaikovsky, in my opinion.
You speak as if the Coca-Cola-Visa-Exxon-McDonalds-Olympics are some kind of competition of amateur athletes representing national states.

National flags are like the colors a jockey puts on for a horserace. They are no different that private corporate logos - they can be bought, sold and rented quite freely on the open market - as long as you have lots of money.

I'm not defending that system, merely observing that is how it works. Principal and/or integrity are not part of the process and have no value to those who derive the profits and thus call the shots.

Sports is just a commodity product that is packaged and sold for profit. For the corporate elites who own the teams, the leagues, the television networks and the advertising dollars, nationalism is just a marketing gimmick.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 01:36 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: For Nick, about "home grown" sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
You speak as if the Coca-Cola-Visa-Exxon-McDonalds-Olympics are some kind of competition of amateur athletes representing national states.

National flags are like the colors a jockey puts on for a horserace. They are no different that private corporate logos - they can be bought, sold and rented quite freely on the open market - as long as you have lots of money.

I'm not defending that system, merely observing that is how it works. Principal and/or integrity are not part of the process and have no value to those who derive the profits and thus call the shots.

Sports is just a commodity product that is packaged and sold for profit. For the corporate elites who own the teams, the leagues, the television networks and the advertising dollars, nationalism is just a marketing gimmick.
Well, I can't see the connection between buying a flag and introducing the same law into the Olympics that football already has, namely that once one has officially represented one country, one can't switch to representing another country.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 09:23 AM
Dominick's Avatar
Dominick Dominick is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dying Europe
Posts: 3,837
Default Re: For Nick, about "home grown" sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Play for one of the teams that represent a country which used to be part of Yugoslavia.
Would that be after you killed your friends and neighbours of yesterday because overnight they became subhuman scum ? Cos' that's exactly what happened there when nationalism took over.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 09:52 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: For Nick, about "home grown" sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Would that be after you killed your friends and neighbours of yesterday because overnight they became subhuman scum ? Cos' that's exactly what happened there when nationalism took over.
Which formerly Yugoslav international sports participants did that, according to you?
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 10:59 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: For Nick, about "home grown" sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Well, I can't see the connection between buying a flag and introducing the same law into the Olympics that football already has, namely that once one has officially represented one country, one can't switch to representing another country.
And I'm telling you that the people who run the Olympics like it the way it is and are not going to introduce that rule because they are obsessed with the mercenary principle, not nationalism.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 11:01 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: For Nick, about "home grown" sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
And I'm telling you that the people who run the Olympics like it the way it is and are not going to introduce that rule because they are obsessed with the mercenary principle, not nationalism.
Well, the people who run football appear to be happy with that rule.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com