Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old Sep 19th 2012, 05:32 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: England always at Wembley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Actually, I have a more serious question, something I cannot understand: if they are all one country, one United Kingdom, why do England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland all have own football teams at world championships and such?
First of all, see my answer above.

The way that worked is that when FIFA was set up, Britain was the biggest fanbase (biggest money for the sport) and biggest source of high quality players. Ergo, it was in FIFA's interest to permit separate teams from Wales, Scotland and England because this increased the quality of the competition and also increased the sales-potential.

Secondly, there are obscure technical reasons for this because Britain is in fact a "United Kingdom" of two separate kingdoms (Scotland and England). But this doesn't apply to N.Ireland or Wales since both are integral parts of the English kingdom going back for many centuries and neither of which has ever had any international standing on their own (quite unlike Scotland).

For this reason, I'd say that the reasons were entirely monetary based on the time period FIFA was established. Money rules all.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Sep 19th 2012, 05:54 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: England always at Wembley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
First of all, see my answer above.

The way that worked is that when FIFA was set up, Britain was the biggest fanbase (biggest money for the sport) and biggest source of high quality players. Ergo, it was in FIFA's interest to permit separate teams from Wales, Scotland and England because this increased the quality of the competition and also increased the sales-potential.

Secondly, there are obscure technical reasons for this because Britain is in fact a "United Kingdom" of two separate kingdoms (Scotland and England). But this doesn't apply to N.Ireland or Wales since both are integral parts of the English kingdom going back for many centuries and neither of which has ever had any international standing on their own (quite unlike Scotland).

For this reason, I'd say that the reasons were entirely monetary based on the time period FIFA was established. Money rules all.
It's the Scottish Football Association that wants to keep the teams separate.

FIFA would rather see a united British team, just as they would not allow Catalonia to compete separately for example. They reluctantly allow British teams to compete separately, since England and Scotland were competing many many years before FIFA existed. In fact, British teams refused to take part in FIFA's World Cups until 20 years after the first one was held, since they considered themselves too good to compete. When England finally took part in the 1950 World Cup, they got beaten by the United States.

The Scottish FA pressurised its male players into not representing the Great Britain Olympic Football Team this year, because they are so terrified that FIFA may one day demand that they play as one team.

Still, you can always come up with a financial reason why Scotland insist on separate teams.
__________________
Europe

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Sep 19th 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Sep 19th 2012, 06:16 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: England always at Wembley

Interesting. Thank you all for explanations.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:47 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: England always at Wembley

England continues to play all its home matches at Wembley. The land that gave the world Monty Python should be a flying circus, and play all around the country Don't people agree?
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:13 AM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: England always at Wembley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Probably a stupid question as I don't know much about football but don't all national teams play all their games in the capital ?
Not here, that's for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
England continues to play all its home matches at Wembley. The land that gave the world Monty Python should be a flying circus, and play all around the country Don't people agree?
I certainly couldn't care.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Aug 20th 2013, 06:09 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: England always at Wembley

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
England continues to play all its home matches at Wembley. The land that gave the world Monty Python should be a flying circus, and play all around the country Don't people agree?
Sorry, England is a micro-country. The whole country is about the size of a county over here. I can't take these obsessions over micro-distances seriously.

Besides, who cares where Corporate PR teams play. That's up to their corporate masters. That is to say, they play where the profits are and that's all there is to it. No one has any business interfering in that private market decision.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Aug 20th 2013, 07:53 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: England always at Wembley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Sorry, England is a micro-country. The whole country is about the size of a county over here. I can't take these obsessions over micro-distances seriously.

Besides, who cares where Corporate PR teams play. That's up to their corporate masters. That is to say, they play where the profits are and that's all there is to it. No one has any business interfering in that private market decision.
National teams aren't really private sector.


Unless you are taking an incredibly cynical perspective on the state, which I'm not necessarily going to argue against.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:27 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: England always at Wembley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Sorry, England is a micro-country. The whole country is about the size of a county over here. I can't take these obsessions over micro-distances seriously.

Besides, who cares where Corporate PR teams play. That's up to their corporate masters. That is to say, they play where the profits are and that's all there is to it. No one has any business interfering in that private market decision.
If there was only one stadium big enough, then the first paragraph would have some merit, but when there are plenty of stadia around the country, you may think nothing of always travelling several hours, when occasionally it could be 10 minutes, I don't think nothing of it. (and the size of Canada has nothing whatsoever to do with it).

As to profits, the difference would be minute. They'd get the same number of fans, maybe more, and travel cost differences would be minute in the world of football.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
National teams aren't really private sector.


Unless you are taking an incredibly cynical perspective on the state, which I'm not necessarily going to argue against.
I disagree here, the England team is run by the FA, which is actually private. But it is constructed a bit like a state, and its livelihood is, I guess, a percentage of the clubs' revenues, which fans all over the country pay.
__________________
Europe

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Aug 20th 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Aug 21st 2013, 03:46 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: England always at Wembley

I've found something out which makes me reconsider; England get over 70,000 people for most of their competitive home matches, at least recently. That alters the case in Wembley's favour. Of course, Old Trafford could host plenty of matches, and that would help northerners a lot. But I wonder how much it would cost - would the FA have to pay Manchester United a lot of money? I am all for saving money.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com