Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old Jan 8th 2014, 07:10 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,823
Default Re: Nature of art

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
No, there is no coherent secular theory of ethics, which if you have studied philosophy, as you claim, you should know. Your second sentence is also false

So, where was it you studied and what branch of philosophy?
You sure make a lot of bizarre pronouncements.

Kant's ethical theory is secular.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old Jan 9th 2014, 03:46 AM
voiceoftheshires voiceoftheshires is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Heart of England
Posts: 490
Default Re: Nature of art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
You sure make a lot of bizarre pronouncements.

Kant's ethical theory is secular.
Kant's ethical theory quickly reduces to intuitionism, surprised you don't know that, for someone claiming to have studies philosophy you seem a little ignorant of it. Perhaps that is why you don't answer about where and what you studied?
__________________
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old Jan 9th 2014, 02:35 PM
Dominick's Avatar
Dominick Dominick is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dying Europe
Posts: 3,837
Default Re: Nature of art

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
Fine describe it and I will explain where it fails
You want me to describe all of Confucianism to you ? Sir, do your homework yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
Where is Europe dying by the way?
Intellectually for a start.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old Jan 9th 2014, 06:56 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,823
Default Re: Nature of art

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
Kant's ethical theory quickly reduces to intuitionism, surprised you don't know that, for someone claiming to have studies philosophy you seem a little ignorant of it. Perhaps that is why you don't answer about where and what you studied?


Your assertion that Kant's secular theory of ethics "reduces to intuitionism" is irrelevant.

The point is that Kant's theory of ethics is secular. You asked for an example of an ethical theory that was secular.

Whether or not Kant's theory of ethics is ideal, tedious or requires intuitition to function, does not detract from the fact that it is secular.

I can just as easily dismiss all religious ethics as quickly reducing to "superstition".
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old Jan 10th 2014, 03:41 AM
voiceoftheshires voiceoftheshires is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Heart of England
Posts: 490
Default Re: Nature of art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
You want me to describe all of Confucianism to you ? Sir, do your homework yourself.


Intellectually for a start.
I have it quickly reduces to rules of the tribe and is therefore not sufficient as an ethical system
__________________
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old Jan 10th 2014, 03:43 AM
voiceoftheshires voiceoftheshires is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Heart of England
Posts: 490
Default Re: Nature of art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post


Your assertion that Kant's secular theory of ethics "reduces to intuitionism" is irrelevant.

The point is that Kant's theory of ethics is secular. You asked for an example of an ethical theory that was secular.

Whether or not Kant's theory of ethics is ideal, tedious or requires intuitition to function, does not detract from the fact that it is secular.

I can just as easily dismiss all religious ethics as quickly reducing to "superstition".
No, I pointed out that no secular system of ethics was coherent but rather quickly reduced either to rules of the tribe or fashion and offered a challenge to suggest one that didn't. You suggested Kantian ethics but unfortunately that to is incoherent and reduces via intuitionism

Except that religious ethics do not reduce to superstition,
__________________
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old Jan 10th 2014, 03:45 AM
voiceoftheshires voiceoftheshires is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Heart of England
Posts: 490
Default Re: Nature of art

Micheal why are you afraid to say where and what you studied?
__________________
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old Jan 10th 2014, 08:12 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,823
Default Re: Nature of art

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
Micheal why are you afraid to say where and what you studied?
I'm not. Rather, I've been criticized previously for doing so. And also, I don't feel the need or any desire to do so.

Besides which, doing so is generally taken to be nothing more than an "appeal to personal authority" (as in "I'm better educated than you on this topic therefore I'm right and you are wrong").

So, get over it.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old Jan 10th 2014, 08:31 AM
Dominick's Avatar
Dominick Dominick is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dying Europe
Posts: 3,837
Default Re: Nature of art

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
I have it quickly reduces to rules of the tribe and is therefore not sufficient as an ethical system
A bit dogmatic, are we ? (you should understand British understatement).

You arbitrarily define things as you please and dismiss anything that counters it out of hand with vague statements but without any actual argument. "Because I say so" is the weakest form of argument.

Go ahead, give a detailed account of why Confucianism 'reduces to rules of the tribe'. If it's because it doesn't have religion in it, then you produced the mother of all circular reasoning.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old Jan 10th 2014, 09:06 AM
voiceoftheshires voiceoftheshires is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Heart of England
Posts: 490
Default Re: Nature of art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm not. Rather, I've been criticized previously for doing so. And also, I don't feel the need or any desire to do so.

Besides which, doing so is generally taken to be nothing more than an "appeal to personal authority" (as in "I'm better educated than you on this topic therefore I'm right and you are wrong").

So, get over it.
All well and good except that in a previous post you made exactly that kind of appeal to authority by declaring that you have a degree in philosophy. Having done so, it is only reasonable to inquire into the validity and value of that argument
__________________
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com