Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:49 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: What are you reading?

^^
Sounds interesting. It might give that a go soooooome day (after Proust ). Sounds like a good chance for a much needed brush up on my German.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 03:16 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
^^
Sounds interesting. It might give that a go soooooome day (after Proust ). Sounds like a good chance for a much needed brush up on my German.
By the time you finish Proust, the book will have been it its fifth edition in English and you will not need to brush up your German.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 03:16 PM
World Citizen

I'm reading A Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking. I always heard that most people that get it never finish it because it's just too hard to understand but I'm not having all that much trouble for the most part although I haven't gotten too far since I'm only reading a chapter here and there. I think much of that has to do with me reading several articles about the same subjects and being a regular viewer of Nova and other science programs. If I had to read a more in depth scientific overview of it's material with more specific details it would probably be a different story. I think he does a really good job at explaining complex material.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 04:09 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I'm reading A Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking. I always heard that most people that get it never finish it because it's just too hard to understand...
I repeatedly heard that about this book and it is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. The book is remarkably brief, simple and straight forward (and very easy to read) - and highly recommended!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 06:13 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I repeatedly heard that about this book and it is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. The book is remarkably brief, simple and straight forward (and very easy to read) - and highly recommended!
So far I think it's great. It's the 10th anniversary updated and expanded edition. It probably could be updated again but I'm not sure if he is going to do that or not. New discoveries are being made constantly.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 05:30 PM
World Citizen

I just started Foundation by Asimov. I'll likely to through at least the first three books since they make the original trilogy.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 06:32 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
Oh, Crime and Punishment is my favorite book! Hermit crab Rasky is the best character ever portrayed in literature. I would say in my opinion, but no really, he's the best- most interesting, most believable, most complex. If you've never read it, I hope you enjoy it!!
Just finished it. I did read it before, but that doesn't mean anything with me as I remember nothing anyway.
LOL @ "Hermit Crab Rasky".

Quote:
I just started Foundation by Asimov. I'll likely to through at least the first three books since they make the original trilogy.
I must've read those five or six times I think. The trilogy is definitely the best part. I'm not very fond of Asimov's style though. Not literary enough for my Euro-snobbishly taste
Old Feb 13th 2009, 07:19 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Just finished it. I did read it before, but that doesn't mean anything with me as I remember nothing anyway.
LOL @ "Hermit Crab Rasky".

I must've read those five or six times I think. The trilogy is definitely the best part. I'm not very fond of Asimov's style though. Not literary enough for my Euro-snobbishly taste
I wanted to get the trilogy in one volume instead of getting them separately and I couldn't find any newer copies. I ended up ordering a used one from the 50s that is in pretty rough shape.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 08:28 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
I really enjoyed that trilogy, but the follow up fourth book that came after it was simply terrible, IMO.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 09:05 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

I also enjoyed Asimov's Foundation trilogy, but that's it for his novels. I also really liked some of Asimov's 'poli-sci-fi' short stories. Some of those are very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug
Oh, Crime and Punishment is my favorite book! Hermit crab Rasky is the best character ever portrayed in literature. I would say in my opinion, but no really, he's the best- most interesting, most believable, most complex. If you've never read it, I hope you enjoy it!!
Methinks bug ought to read Gogol! Highly recommended too.