Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:13 AM
World Citizen

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
According to Judaism, the only way to be a Jew is to be born of a Jewish woman.

And the religion of one's parents generally co-relates very highly with the religion of offspring.

Thus, it is indeed quite reasonable to say that one is 'born' to any given religion. That is a sociological fact.
It is indeed reasonable as far as identifying the religious nomination of one or more of the parents but it makes no sense whatsoever as far as identifying a religious nomination of the newborn. Thus, it is inherently unreasonable to say that a person is born a religious nomination.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:24 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMadsen View Post
It is indeed reasonable as far as identifying the religious nomination of one or more of the parents but it makes no sense whatsoever as far as identifying a religious nomination of the newborn. Thus, it is inherently unreasonable to say that a person is born a religious nomination.
A Jew may never follow Judaism, may convert to another belief system but in the eyes of other Jews that person is still a Jew. Ethnoreligious communities define their identity neither exclusively by ancestral heritage nor simply by religious affiliation, but often through a combination of both.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:12 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
A Jew may never follow Judaism, may convert to another belief system but in the eyes of other Jews that person is still a Jew. Ethnoreligious communities define their identity neither exclusively by ancestral heritage nor simply by religious affiliation, but often through a combination of both.
Indeed, "in the eyes of other Jews" is about the beholders, not the beholded.

I'm of course very aware of how it works, Americano. It's a tribal projection. It's not exclusive to religious affiliation but often also includes things like social duties (through caste, for example), professional heritage and other mindset projections. But it's still not reasonable.

Fortunately for us all, though, "reasonable" is a highly subjective term
Old Nov 18th 2008, 03:22 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Food, Sex and Salmonella: Why Our Food Is Making Us Sick by David Waltner-Toews.

Saw him speak at a conference I was at recently. Veterinarian and Epidemiologist by trade. Straightforward writer and makes this stuff a really interesting read. Besides, he was signing books at the conference so I got him to sign my newly purchased copies and he wrote "Wishing you great food and sex and not much salmonella" - how can you not be interested in picking up this book now. Okay, still need convincing?!? He was born a Mennonite!
This sounds really interesting. I read one a while back that you might like. It is called The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:02 AM
Globetrotter

I just finished Peter Robinson's series of DI Banks books and am in the market for another author who does that same police procedural story line so well, Connolly and Rankin being prime examples.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 02:12 PM
Citizen

Am I allowed to post what I am NOT reading.

After trying and really trying and although the book had been warmly recommended by two friends of mine, I put aside "Nachtzug nach Lissabon" of Pascal Mercier, a Swiss author.

Wow, boring to the point of falling asleep.

It sounds interresting : On a sudden inspiration, Prof. Soandso abruptly leaves his orderly life and takes a night train to Lisboa (Lisbon) on the track of a Portuguese Author and his Wisdoms on life and the meaning of life etc.

The problem is :
1) Most of the book does not make sense
(For instance, Prof. Soandso learns reading Portuguese overnight but can not order a coffee !)
2) The writing of the Portuguese author is really boring
3) In fact most of the book is boring

I hate to put books aside. But I am aware that keeping trying prevents me from reading more interresting stuff.

Sucre
ps. I also need to check out with my friends why they loved the book so much.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 04:00 PM
Citizen

Oh ! And this book was a bestseller. I wanted to add this.

So much for bestsellers.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 08:17 PM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I just finished Peter Robinson's series of DI Banks books and am in the market for another author who does that same police procedural story line so well, Connolly and Rankin being prime examples.

Any suggestions?
Given that I personally think Robinson is the best, some of my also ran's are: a Canadian - Giles Blunt (Inspector John Cardinal works out of Northern Ontario), an Amercian - CJ Box (fresh discovery, his sleuth is the governor of Wyoming's go to guy), an old standby Lee Child (not a cop but ex special forces just rambling around the country finding dire circumstances (I think a good but uneven series)and an old series by J.J.Jance - JP Beaumont (she finished this series a while ago it's set in the 80's and 90's).
Three writers I would recommend are not strictly police procedurals but close - professional but not strictly police Marica Mueller (Sharon McCone series) and Julia Spencer Fleming - her sleuth is a female minister and the sheriff in town - sounds cutesy but is really quite good and S.J.Rozen - she has both a female chinese cop series and a white male p.i. series both are good.

I am glad you enjoyed Peter Robinson, I went a reading of his last week of the new book 'All the colours of darkness' - did you read it too?
I read the new non-Rebus Rankin and didn't like it at all. It is written from the villians point of view.

I hope you enjoy one or all of these writers. Cheers.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 09:18 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sister View Post
Given that I personally think Robinson is the best, some of my also ran's are: a Canadian - Giles Blunt (Inspector John Cardinal works out of Northern Ontario), an Amercian - CJ Box (fresh discovery, his sleuth is the governor of Wyoming's go to guy), an old standby Lee Child (not a cop but ex special forces just rambling around the country finding dire circumstances (I think a good but uneven series)and an old series by J.J.Jance - JP Beaumont (she finished this series a while ago it's set in the 80's and 90's).
Three writers I would recommend are not strictly police procedurals but close - professional but not strictly police Marica Mueller (Sharon McCone series) and Julia Spencer Fleming - her sleuth is a female minister and the sheriff in town - sounds cutesy but is really quite good and S.J.Rozen - she has both a female chinese cop series and a white male p.i. series both are good.

I am glad you enjoyed Peter Robinson, I went a reading of his last week of the new book 'All the colours of darkness' - did you read it too?
I read the new non-Rebus Rankin and didn't like it at all. It is written from the villians point of view.

I hope you enjoy one or all of these writers. Cheers.
Haven't read the latest Robinson book. I'm a little burned out on him at this point but as Robinson's skills progressed so did his characters and I'm looking forward to it.

Read the Blunt, Box and Childs books. I'll pass on the Jance series if it stops in the '90s as I find the lack of technology painful reading.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:49 PM
Nomad

right now im listening to part 2 of "six wives" about the wives of henry the 8th and reading "hobo"