Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old Oct 20th 2008, 08:16 PM
Official Forum Geek

Default Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading The Sound and the Fury.

Although, I think I might be reading other books as well. I tend to pick up whatever is sitting around when I feel like reading
Old Oct 21st 2008, 01:48 AM
Citizen

No doubt inspired by the "Who are you thread?" in this little forum here, I read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland today on what was a rainy afternoon (which is my only time off this time of year). Although I've seen small-screen adaptations in years past, I'd never actually read the book. It was a nice read with a few laugh out loud moments. I especially enjoyed the scene with the Mad Hatter and the March Hare. I think I'll give Through the Looking Glass a read the next time a storm rolls through.

In addition to that, I've started working my way through some economic texts recently. I'm reading Von Mises' Theory of Money and Credit right now. Are there any suggestions for reading about economics?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:03 AM
Resident Historian

Today I have The Peasants of Languedoc, by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie (the English translation) to read through. The methodological concept ("total history" or the "Annales school") is pretty interesting. Ladurie looks at Languedoc from the 15th century through the 19th, but rather than creating a narrative of events he attempts to define a socio-economic organism, complete with its own cycles and rhythems which form the over-arching boundaries of historic action. He looks primarily at local tax and notary records and claims to "perceive the immense respiration of a social structure." (pg 4).

While the methodology is something I haven't worked with before, and therefore interesting, I'm now half-way through and really pretty bored with the content. One can only read about so many records of crop prices, harvest yeilds, and wage rates. And, to be honest, with the exception of some stuff in the eighteenth and early nineteenth century, I'm not terribly interested in French history.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:45 AM
Globetrotter

I'm still in Beleriand. From the Silmarillion to The Unfinished Tales.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:02 AM
World Citizen

Since I'm rarely home without my two kids I haven't read too many books in a while due to constant distraction but I do probably read as much as I ever have when it comes to newspapers and magazines mainly online. Slate, The Economist, The New York Times, The Atlantic, Scientific American, The Financial Times, and articles linked to The Cheat Sheet at The Daily Beast among other things. I'm a current events and news junkie.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

I'm still rereading Popper's Conjectures and Refutations. It is a slow read (rather dry I might add).

For pleasure, I keep being drawn back to reading one of my medieval reference books. I have quite a few scholarly compendiums on feudalism, medieval towns and castle-building and these topics fascenate me no end. I just keep re-reading them till I have them almost memorized.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphelan View Post
No doubt inspired by the "Who are you thread?" in this little forum here, I read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland today on what was a rainy afternoon (which is my only time off this time of year). Although I've seen small-screen adaptations in years past, I'd never actually read the book. It was a nice read with a few laugh out loud moments. I especially enjoyed the scene with the Mad Hatter and the March Hare. I think I'll give Through the Looking Glass a read the next time a storm rolls through.
They are delightful and colorful books loaded with multiple meanings & interpretations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphelan
In addition to that, I've started working my way through some economic texts recently. I'm reading Von Mises' Theory of Money and Credit right now. Are there any suggestions for reading about economics?
Yes - don't!

Actually, one of the most informative books I've read on the topic of money was a History of the Spice Trade (I can't find my copy at the moment, so that title might not be accurate). It was extremely interesting discourse that I found particularly enlightening about the rise of capitalism.

When it comes to economics, I like reading the old stuff. The history of money is also a good topic. There is all kinds of core economic theory information buried in these topics.

I've also read a great biography on the Medici Family business that was very interesting since it showed that the most important way to maintain/expand/protect a private fortune was through politics. The Medici were just another middling Italian merchant family until they discovered how profitable politics can be.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 06:16 PM
Villager

Starting tonight, reading The History of McCarthyism--a subject near and dear to my heart. I wish there was a commie smiley.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 07:22 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
They are delightful and colorful books loaded with multiple meanings & interpretations.

Yes - don't!
Excellent advice and the primary basis for the saying 'put 100 economists in a room and you'll have 100 different economic interpretations'.

Quote:
Actually, one of the most informative books I've read on the topic of money was a History of the Spice Trade (I can't find my copy at the moment, so that title might not be accurate). It was extremely interesting discourse that I found particularly enlightening about the rise of capitalism.

When it comes to economics, I like reading the old stuff. The history of money is also a good topic. There is all kinds of core economic theory information buried in these topics.

I've also read a great biography on the Medici Family business that was very interesting since it showed that the most important way to maintain/expand/protect a private fortune was through politics. The Medici were just another middling Italian merchant family until they discovered how profitable politics can be.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:37 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
Starting tonight, reading The History of McCarthyism--a subject near and dear to my heart. I wish there was a commie smiley.
bug is a bug is a

I've been ill-ish (no "sniffles" though) and brainless and switched to the 1,462,763th re-read of The Lord of the Rings.