Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

View Poll Results: Tea...?
No thank you. 1 25.00%
Yes, but without milk. 2 50.00%
Yes, and with milk. 1 25.00%
Yes, and it can be with or without milk. 0 0%
I don't care, I just like voting in polls. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 9th 2015, 06:13 AM
Globetrotter

Default Tea's relationship with milk

I love tea, and find that tea with milk is the best way of drinking tea. But most Polish people can't understand why people choose to drink tea with milk. Coffee is a different kettle of fish - I'm happy to drink coffee without milk, though I like it with milk too. Polish people can also take milk or leave it when it comes to coffee.

But what is it about milk in tea which makes it such a divisive topic?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 08:40 AM
Resident Historian

Default Re: Tea's relationship with milk

Well, I almost never want milk in my tea. If it's the right kind of spice tea or maybe a good English breakfast brewed very, very strong, then I like a little cream and honey. But milk, even whole milk, just waters the tea down too much for my taste.

I probably drink more tea than any other beverage and it's almost always a black English tea (PG Tips when I can get it!) with just a very little bit of sugar.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:53 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Well, I almost never want milk in my tea. If it's the right kind of spice tea or maybe a good English breakfast brewed very, very strong, then I like a little cream and honey. But milk, even whole milk, just waters the tea down too much for my taste.

I probably drink more tea than any other beverage and it's almost always a black English tea (PG Tips when I can get it!) with just a very little bit of sugar.
The answer to the watering down of the tea is very simple - use less water and don't add milk until the tea bag has been in the cup of hot water for a good long while. 10-15 minutes is the time I let the tea bag stay in the cup of hot water before removing the tea bag and adding the milk.

But of course that only solves the watering down issue. If you prefer not having milk in your tea, then of course that's your perrogative.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 11:46 AM
Official Forum Mascot

I don't prefer tea; when I do drink it's usually without any adulteration. I prefer coffee, black no sugar.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 06:09 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

As a tea-drinking Canadian, with an English-born mother, I've never even heard of the designation "black tea" (other than to mean, 'no milk'). I looked it up and what you call "black tea" is what I know as "orange pekoe". I believe the "orange" part describes the burnt orange color of the brewed product (but I'm just guessing).

I too drink tea with no milk and just a bit of sugar, just like my mother and most of my family. Milk in tea seems kind of gross to me - or at the very least, designed to drown the flavor of the tea.

Tea with milk and sugar (double-double) is often called "kid's tea" around here.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 05:49 PM
Globetrotter

I only ever drink tea when I have a fever. On all other occasions throwing it in the harbour is one of its better applications.