Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:59 PM
This wine needs more whisky

Default Alternative Medicine

Read this while I was at work and thought it seemed pretty interesting. Working in the medical field myself, I'm not quite sure how into some of this I am...

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12541621?source=rss
Old Jun 9th 2009, 02:08 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Alternative Medicine

I'm alternatively medicating myself right now.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 02:40 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
Read this while I was at work and thought it seemed pretty interesting. Working in the medical field myself, I'm not quite sure how into some of this I am...

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12541621?source=rss
Although I'm not in the medical field, I know how little I am in to that. If placebos are going to start being used outside experimental medicine, there's more wrong with our health care system than I thought.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design. - F.A. Hayek
Old Jun 9th 2009, 09:31 AM
Globetrotter

Anything that threatens big pharma's iron grip on medical treatment will be limited to big pharma's placebos and talk.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 09:43 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Anything that threatens big pharma's iron grip on medical treatment will be limited to big pharma's placebos and talk.
Maybe there is some alternative treatments out there that really work as well as mainstream medicine but from my experience it's mostly crap and big companies that unlike pharmaceutical companies are not regulated at all by the FDA selling useless plants in pill form. Then you have stuff like sweat lodges and faith healers. Then you have the whole cleansing crazy which is pretty much extremely overpriced laxatives that make you crap the same stuff earlier than you would have anyway. I'm not fan of pharmaceutical companies for other reasons and hate to sound like their defender but just because they are bad doesn't mean alternative medicine works.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:00 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
Maybe there is some alternative treatments out there that really work as well as mainstream medicine but from my experience it's mostly crap and big companies that unlike pharmaceutical companies are not regulated at all by the FDA selling useless plants in pill form. Then you have stuff like sweat lodges and faith healers. Then you have the whole cleansing crazy which is pretty much extremely overpriced laxatives that make you crap the same stuff earlier than you would have anyway. I'm not fan of pharmaceutical companies for other reasons and hate to sound like their defender but just because they are bad doesn't mean alternative medicine works.
'Alternative medicine' also includes proved remedies that are legally banned through big pharma efforts.

Big pharma fights federal legalization of medical marijuana, opium, morphine, heroin and cocaine with every available resource including their big gun, The Interstate Commerce Act. In their eyes some schmuck dying a horrible death by cancer needs their $100 painkiller pill or shot versus a $2 injection of heroin or morphine and the MD gets a spiff for prescribing their brand. No different than dentists supporting the ban on cocaine because they get spiffs for using big pharma painkillers.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:04 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
'Alternative medicine' also includes proved remedies that are legally banned through big pharma efforts.

Big pharma fights federal legalization of medical marijuana, opium, morphine, heroin and cocaine with every available resource including their big gun, The Interstate Commerce Act. In their eyes some schmuck dying a horrible death by cancer needs their $100 painkiller pill or shot versus a $2 injection of heroin or morphine and the MD gets a spiff for prescribing their brand. No different than dentists supporting the ban on cocaine because they get spiffs for using big pharma painkillers.
I agree about medical marijuana and I think all drugs should be legal and as far as heroin and cocaine go while I'm for legalization I would say it has as much to do with popular opinion and other reasons. Originally many of these drugs became illegal through attacks on immigrant population such as with opium and Chinese immigrants. I have no doubt that pharmaceuticals don't want these things allowed but at the same time I don't think that they are the only thing holding these things back from decriminalization.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:32 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I agree about medical marijuana and I think all drugs should be legal and as far as heroin and cocaine go while I'm for legalization I would say it has as much to do with popular opinion and other reasons. Originally many of these drugs became illegal through attacks on immigrant population such as with opium and Chinese immigrants. I have no doubt that pharmaceuticals don't want these things allowed but at the same time I don't think that they are the only thing holding these things back from decriminalization.
True, but their enormous lobbying clout in hand with fundie resistance have been the major obstacles in all states who have legalized medical marijuana. The current major challenge to federal legalization of Class 1 drugs (the alternative medicine and recreational applications) is big pharma and the enormous public spending in the war on drugs. Under our system of government the political and economic ramifications of diverting funding from DEA and other associated agencies that drills right down to muni LE operations is virtually impossible. It has to start at state levels.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:44 AM
This wine needs more whisky

What I am not sure about is performing a ritual over a patient. In the paper here (I couldn't find it on the newspaper's website) showed the actual scene described in the first paragraph of the article. One of the nurses is waving her hands over the patient as part of this alternative form...Being a future nurse I'm not sure I could follow through with that if I was asked. Actually, I would probably laugh and say, "Save yourself some money and perform this shit at home by yourself for free."
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:55 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
What I am not sure about is performing a ritual over a patient. In the paper here (I couldn't find it on the newspaper's website) showed the actual scene described in the first paragraph of the article. One of the nurses is waving her hands over the patient as part of this alternative form...Being a future nurse I'm not sure I could follow through with that if I was asked. Actually, I would probably laugh and say, "Save yourself some money and perform this shit at home by yourself for free."

That's what I think of when somebody says alternative medicine. We have a couple natural remedy shops in my small town that sell crap to people that don't know better. I went into one just to check it out and they even had jewelry that you wear but can also dangle over medicine and if it swings above in in a certain direction and not the other than that means it's good. Pretty much it's works on the same principle as a Ouija board that is moved by the person or people touching it subconsciously. When I think of the things these places sell it reminds me of the old tonics and potions.