Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 08:22 AM
World Citizen

Default Re: Super Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
Certainly agree that we should be adopting more children. I don't consider "squeezing out larvae" to be selfish, however-- it's necessary to the perpetuation of one's culture-- and I think it ought to be encouraged nearly as heavily as adoption.
Having children is inherently selfish, regardless of the gene source. It's a required selfishness. However, I don't see how adoption interferes with the perpetuation of one's culture. Guess it depends on the scope of one's particular view of one's culture.

Quote:
Cloning as an approach to reproduction is just... misguided. The entire purpose of this technology is to ensure that our children have a better genetic foundation to build upon than we are capable of providing for them. Same reason I'm so picky in looking for a mate-- I want someone who can provide quality gene stock for my biological children, as well as be a better mother to all of my children than I had.
Is that a criterion that you consciously aim or aimed at?

Just being curious.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:25 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Certainly agree that we should be adopting more children. I don't consider "squeezing out larvae" to be selfish, however-- it's necessary to the perpetuation of one's culture-- and I think it ought to be encouraged nearly as heavily as adoption.

Cloning as an approach to reproduction is just... misguided. The entire purpose of this technology is to ensure that our children have a better genetic foundation to build upon than we are capable of providing for them. Same reason I'm so picky in looking for a mate-- I want someone who can provide quality gene stock for my biological children, as well as be a better mother to all of my children than I had.
Gotta make for some very tough first date questions. Or do you have a detailed questionnaire to simplify matters? How do women react to broodstock questions?
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 01:05 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Everything that now lives is at the pinnacle of evolution presently. Evolution has no purpose. It just happens, it's an entirely passive process.

The human brain is far too complex for contemporary technology to mess with it. The fuckups in this process will far outweigh the potential benefits. Furthermore, the perception of those benefits will inevitably be ideologically coloured so that even in the eventuality of being succesful, it will amount to nothing more than a new form of control of people by authorities.
I think you make a good point here. Evolution isn't a one way street towards a species that is better than that which comes before. It's a process in which species adapt to their environment. While one species may seem to have evolved to a higher level in fact it's likely that it has moved away from being better suited to environments it was in in the distant past. Just because a species may be better adapted towards it's current situation doesn't mean it's best for all situations or environments. The idea that evolution is leading us to some perfect end product is wishful thinking at best.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
...The idea that evolution is leading us to some perfect end product is wishful thinking at best.
It is a logical extension from the idea of religious appoved evolutionary theory.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 02:10 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
It is a logical extension from the idea of religious appoved evolutionary theory.
Was ist das für ein ding?
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 02:47 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Everything that now lives is at the pinnacle of evolution presently. Evolution has no purpose. It just happens, it's an entirely passive process.
Everything in our universe exists without purpose, and everything but our own actions is an entirely passive process. It is in our nature to assign meaning to events, to devise a purpose for them, and find a way for passive processes to suit our active agendas.

Like everything else in the universe, evolution can be used to suit our purposes. And my purpose is to improve things, especially those things which benefit my family.

Quote:
I think you make a good point here. Evolution isn't a one way street towards a species that is better than that which comes before. It's a process in which species adapt to their environment.
Not exactly. It's a process in which species adapt to resemble whichever members of their species are most successful at reproducing. In an environment of relative abundance and safety, this has little to do with any measure of competence, and with the power of modern medicine, also little to do with most measures of health.

Since almost every infant born survives to adulthood, we are evolving to most resemble those members of our society who have the most children, and least resemble those who have the least children.

Take a look at who has the most children and who has the least, and ask yourself if that's really the direction you want our species to be moving.

Quote:
The idea that evolution is leading us to some perfect end product is wishful thinking at best.
In the case of a species which is capable of consciously influencing its own evolutionary development, that is exactly what evolution should be doing. It's not wishful thinking, it's a declaration of intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMadsen View Post
However, I don't see how adoption interferes with the perpetuation of one's culture. Guess it depends on the scope of one's particular view of one's culture.

I may not have written clearly. I do not think that adoption interferes with the perpetuation of one's culture at all, and I consider it even more morally praiseworthy than reproduction. My point was only that reproduction should be encouraged on a moral and practical level; at the very least, if noone is having children, there won't be any children to adopt.

Quote:
Is that a criterion that you consciously aim or aimed at?
Yes, it is something I take into consideration. It's not my highest priority by a long shot, but it certainly ranks much higher than trivialities like hair color and whether or not she roots for the same sports teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Gotta make for some very tough first date questions. Or do you have a detailed questionnaire to simplify matters? How do women react to broodstock questions?
About as well as you'd expect, which is why I'm not so crass as to ask them. On the other hand, there's a lot you can pick up by simple observation-- and most people would agree with the statement that you should get to know a woman and her family before having children with her.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 02:48 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Heh. Gods who don't want us to become more godlike aren't worthy of worship.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 04:56 PM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Definitely not first date questions...can we say, "awkward"?

Sorry, that just hit my funny bone..or maybe the Coors Light made me laugh. I'm not for sure
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 05:09 PM
This wine needs more whisky

I have to disagree with your statement that everything in the universe exists with no purpose. Whether you are religious or not, we're not here for nothing. Everything has a purpose in someway. If nothing else, the purpose is being apart of the world. Sure some people, living things, organisms, etc. might not have a dynamic purpose compared to others, but we are all connected in some way. Everything in our world needs something from someplace else and that in itself gives whatever something a purpose.

On a lighter note I would like to reflect back to my childhood with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX07j9SDFcc
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 05:26 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Was ist das für ein ding?
Please note that English is the language of discussion at this forum. Please do not post messages in languages other than English. If there is interest, we can establish a non-English language section.