Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:21 AM
World Citizen

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplum View Post
The movie adaption is surprisingly good, imo.

So many hilarious bits in that book. I loved the drug conference.
I actually saw the movie before reading the book. When I saw it on film I had no idea what it could be like in book form but yeah it was a very well done adaptation actually. One thing I loved about the movie in the first place is that you can watch it ten times and always notice something new. It's also a great movie to quote.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 04:01 PM
Official Forum Mascot

I was displeased with the amount of fiction I've been reading lately (i.e. none) so I picked up my roommate's Satanic Verses last night. Not much read so far.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 01:40 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I actually saw the movie before reading the book. When I saw it on film I had no idea what it could be like in book form but yeah it was a very well done adaptation actually. One thing I loved about the movie in the first place is that you can watch it ten times and always notice something new. It's also a great movie to quote.
Yeah, you never get tired of that movie.

Currently reading Diary of a Bad Year by Coetzee. It's a bit weird, but enjoyable.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 02:32 PM
Official Forum Mascot

I think I'm going to read Twilight.

And then write a paper on the misogyny rampant in it.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 05:23 PM
Citizen

Just finished a biography of Simone Weill.

http://rivertext.com/weil.html

I was curious to know something about her philosophy, so started a biography.

Born in 1909, an anarchist, a pacifist, a school teacher and factory worker, a resistant fighter and a philosopher, she let herself die of hunger in 1943 at the age of 34 in rainy Ashford, England.

What a strange woman. Completely crazy, completely aloof. Fascinating in a way but it's difficult to like her. And mysticism is nothing of my taste.

After all, I am not interested in her philosophy.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:19 AM
Globetrotter

Santa brought me a book set called "Russian Masterpieces" including Tolstoy's Kreuzer Sonata, Maximov's In Quarantaine, Gorki's My Childhood, Chekhov's The Bride and other Stories, Pushkin's The Queen of Spades and other Stories, Turgenev's The Three Portraits a.o.S., Gogol's Dead Souls, and Dostoyevski's Crime and Punishment, so poor Mr. Kuhn will have to wait yet again.
Oh, I also read Dumas' The Count of Monte Christo in a hurry. I saw the Hollywood adaptation thereof a few days ago.... It's an utter abomination, a mindless violation, a disgusting aberration, a ludicrous travesty of the book.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 01:33 PM
Citizen

Nice readings you have planned.

Santa Claus also brought me a very nice piece of literature, but I will drop a line once I am done with the 900 pages (at the moment 99 read ...)
Old Dec 30th 2008, 06:47 PM
Villager

Oh, Crime and Punishment is my favorite book! Hermit crab Rasky is the best character ever portrayed in literature. I would say in my opinion, but no really, he's the best- most interesting, most believable, most complex. If you've never read it, I hope you enjoy it!!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
Oh, Crime and Punishment is my favorite book! Hermit crab Rasky is the best character ever portrayed in literature. I would say in my opinion, but no really, he's the best- most interesting, most believable, most complex. If you've never read it, I hope you enjoy it!!
Yes, an excellent book. Though, when it comes to Dostoyevsky, I prefer Brothers Karamazov myself.

Dostoyevsky is too much of a Christian-escapist for my tastes though. I can't agree that becoming a monk is the only solution to the ugliness of the world.

Indeed, when it comes to Russians, I like Gogol best of all!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 04:56 PM
Citizen

I am reading a wonderful book
http://www.suhrkamp.de/titel/titel.cfm?bestellnr=42020

It was my wish for Christmas to receive it and I am delighted.

In fact it received the Prize der deutschen Buchhandels this year - and IMHO deserves it.

It is a book for those who like authors like Marcel Proust or Thomas Mann. It is a lot about personal psychology, interactions between people, details of everyday life and conveying the atmosphere of times that have gone.

When will it be translated into English ?

It tells the story of a number of people living in this small district of Dresden and the seven last years of the GDR. It tells about living and growing up in a totalitatian State, the pressure and yet the adaptation to the System, in small or larger ways ... There is so much I understand "from the inside" by reading this book.

But is anything different in our system ??? We are swamped with Ideology, but in a more subtle way. The cowards adapt to it, the rebels fight against it. I've always had a theory that it is the personality and the personal history that determine the political stand. (Not "arguments" ...) The Communist of yesterday is the Capitalist of today, burning his money in the stock exchange, more importantly blindly following and not questionning the system in which he lives !

A book of approx. 1,000 pages is too much that I can read in one time. Besides I cannot take it in my bag to read it on the bus to work. I therefore interrupt with other books.
The other one I read recently is on a very different topic.
It's called "Der Crash kommt" (The Crash is coming), author Prof. Max Otte at Princeton University, and tells everything you know by now about the "Crisis" except that it was written three years ago and this is what makes the book fascinating.
http://www.goldseiten.de/shop/buch.php?b_id=169