Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 03:05 PM
Citizen

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
My last two books:

Sebastian Haffner, Von Bismarck zu Hitler
http://www.amazon.de/Von-Bismarck-Hi...5239735&sr=8-6

Helmut Schmidt, Ausser Dienst - Eine Bilanz
http://www.amazon.de/Ausser-Dienst-B...5240083&sr=1-1

Both are probably only available in German I'm afraid. But they are a really interesting read if you are interested in German history/politics.
I am a big big fan of Sebastian Haffner. I read his "Anmerkungen zu Hitler" several times (it's a quick read and by FAR the best book available on Hitler - It has been translated in English http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Meaning_of_Hitler)

Also his memories are absolutely fascinating.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:20 AM
Citizen

Finished Derren Brown, which encouraged me to get some books on human communication. Not sure where to go from there. The things you don't consider, like for instance how you place your arms may affect how people relate to you is something I'd like to learn more about.

Anyway. Think I'll start reading Dawkins' Blind Watchmaker now. Kind of started, and just stuck with Brown's book instead.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 01:34 PM
Citizen

Just received from a friend in the US by post :
The Secret Papers of Madame Olivetti
and
An Italian Affair

Sounds like good readings for quiet evenings, a bit of dream in this dull world and something else to think about than the world economy crashing.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 02:41 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Going to try to read Dune over break.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 03:46 PM
World Citizen

I was thinking about reading it. Would any of you suggest going ahead and buying the whole series in a set or should I just pick up the first book?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 09:55 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I was thinking about reading it. Would any of you suggest going ahead and buying the whole series in a set or should I just pick up the first book?
When I become interested in (to me) a new author I use eBay to buy what they've published. I read contemporary authors and prefer starting at beginning efforts to enjoy their skill progression. Buy the series, you'll enjoy Herbert.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:50 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
When I become interested in (to me) a new author I use eBay to buy what they've published. I read contemporary authors and prefer starting at beginning efforts to enjoy their skill progression. Buy the series, you'll enjoy Herbert.
I'll probably go ahead and order the others but I found one on Ebay for 99 cents for just the first one and I couldn't turn that down.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 07:13 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I'll probably go ahead and order the others but I found one on Ebay for 99 cents for just the first one and I couldn't turn that down.
The series is fairly old and thus is usually available on eBay or in used book stores.

The first three books form a trilogy (and highly enjoyable read) and I think the 4th book is the masterpiece of the series (God Emperor). There are mixed opinions about the 5th and 6th books.
Old May 1st 2009, 09:32 PM
World Citizen

I'm rereading some of my favorite works by Percy Bysshe Shelley-- he's become my feel-good touchstone.

I also just finished a course on the works of Queen Elizabeth I (and those who wrote about her) through a literary perspective (I was mislead by the course title, which seemed to imply your generic Shakespeare and Donne survey class). It was actually an interesting complement to generic Tudor history.
Old May 2nd 2009, 02:13 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Now that I'm finally (almost) done with my undergrad, I'm going to see if I can't pick up the reading habit again (at least until I'm gainfully employed).

I have been reading Russel Brand's autobiography when I'm at my girlfriend's house though.