Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Oct 14th 2012, 09:50 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
I wouldn't wish my big rack on any female child of mine. But she might like big boobs. Totally random, I know
Breast reduction surgery to relieve (and prevent) back problems is actually quite common.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 07:39 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
More than a mouthful too much?
As long as they're bigger than mine, I'm good
Old Oct 15th 2012, 12:29 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
As long as they're bigger than mine, I'm good
i like big breasts on a woman. As long as she is not fat that is.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 07:37 AM
Villager

If it was safe and guaranteed then of course I would do it for my kids. No reason not to. Not to would be like getting a free $100 gift card and not redeeming it.

Most people shun the idea of modifying humans with genetic engineering. It comes instinctively. Why? Unless you're one who worships invisible gods in the sky and think he'd be mad at you for altering his work, there's no logical reason to not enhance your child if given the chance.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 08:06 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl Scowl View Post
If it was safe and guaranteed then of course I would do it for my kids. No reason not to. Not to would be like getting a free $100 gift card and not redeeming it.

Most people shun the idea of modifying humans with genetic engineering. It comes instinctively. Why? Unless you're one who worships invisible gods in the sky and think he'd be mad at you for altering his work, there's no logical reason to not enhance your child if given the chance.
I think that the law of unintended consequences is a logical reason not to.

Let's face it, quite a few of our newest technologies turn out to be less than advertised. We used to think that oil/gasoline was the greatest most wonderful stuff in the world - until we figured out that it was causing global climate change. Or how about all those mutant babies born to mothers given a particular drug during pregnancy? Our track record isn't very impressive.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 08:15 AM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I think that the law of unintended consequences is a logical reason not to.

Let's face it, quite a few of our newest technologies turn out to be less than advertised. We used to think that oil/gasoline was the greatest most wonderful stuff in the world - until we figured out that it was causing global climate change. Or how about all those mutant babies born to mothers given a particular drug during pregnancy? Our track record isn't very impressive.
Hence why I said "safe and guaranteed." I was going by the hypothetical question posed. Very few things in life are 100% safe and guaranteed. If this was I'd do it. No reason not to.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 03:44 PM
Globetrotter

I agree with Owl Scowl. If I had the opportunity, I would do it. Genetically modify my children to make them immune to all diseases and cancers and such, why not?

If such technology became available, I would pay to use it.

The problem would be - to whom it would be available. It would still cost much money. So would be available only to the elite, and, perhaps, people like me too, a step down the ladder. But not to lower middle class, let alone the poor. More unfairness...
Old Dec 5th 2012, 08:04 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Hence why I said "safe and guaranteed." I was going by the hypothetical question posed. Very few things in life are 100% safe and guaranteed. If this was I'd do it. No reason not to.
Nothing is safe and guarenteed. That's my point - particularly the claims of medical science. They've created more than a few monsters with their newest and most advanced science over the years - something we only discover AFTER the fact.

Silicone breast implants (for example) are something the medical profession previously insisted was totally safe. But now, we discover years later that it isn't safe at all and poses a major health hazzard.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 08:30 PM
Globetrotter

Genetic engineering is inherently unsafe because of the very nature of how genetics work in the real world outside of the laboratory. All organisms, including humans are filled to the brim with low-probability genes which originated by chance or random mutation or by mistake, i.e. by flawed recombination. The flawed nature of this system is the very reason sexual reproduction is so successful, but it's also an absolute guarantee that uncontrolled, unpredictable, unforeseen and unintended variations will occur.
No worse Pandora's box has been opened in human history so far.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
I agree with Owl Scowl. If I had the opportunity, I would do it. Genetically modify my children to make them immune to all diseases and cancers and such, why not?

If such technology became available, I would pay to use it.
I certainly can't argue with this.

I've never been very good with 'unrealistic' hypothetical questions. I just don't get the point of them.