Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old Oct 14th 2012, 09:50 AM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
I wouldn't wish my big rack on any female child of mine. But she might like big boobs. Totally random, I know
Breast reduction surgery to relieve (and prevent) back problems is actually quite common.
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Oct 14th 2012, 07:39 PM
Dominick's Avatar
Dominick Dominick is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dying Europe
Posts: 3,837
Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
More than a mouthful too much?
As long as they're bigger than mine, I'm good
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Oct 15th 2012, 12:29 PM
shekib82 shekib82 is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,134
Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
As long as they're bigger than mine, I'm good
i like big breasts on a woman. As long as she is not fat that is.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 07:37 AM
Owl Scowl's Avatar
Owl Scowl Owl Scowl is offline
Villager
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chaos
Posts: 59
Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

If it was safe and guaranteed then of course I would do it for my kids. No reason not to. Not to would be like getting a free $100 gift card and not redeeming it.

Most people shun the idea of modifying humans with genetic engineering. It comes instinctively. Why? Unless you're one who worships invisible gods in the sky and think he'd be mad at you for altering his work, there's no logical reason to not enhance your child if given the chance.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 08:06 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl Scowl View Post
If it was safe and guaranteed then of course I would do it for my kids. No reason not to. Not to would be like getting a free $100 gift card and not redeeming it.

Most people shun the idea of modifying humans with genetic engineering. It comes instinctively. Why? Unless you're one who worships invisible gods in the sky and think he'd be mad at you for altering his work, there's no logical reason to not enhance your child if given the chance.
I think that the law of unintended consequences is a logical reason not to.

Let's face it, quite a few of our newest technologies turn out to be less than advertised. We used to think that oil/gasoline was the greatest most wonderful stuff in the world - until we figured out that it was causing global climate change. Or how about all those mutant babies born to mothers given a particular drug during pregnancy? Our track record isn't very impressive.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 08:15 AM
Owl Scowl's Avatar
Owl Scowl Owl Scowl is offline
Villager
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chaos
Posts: 59
Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I think that the law of unintended consequences is a logical reason not to.

Let's face it, quite a few of our newest technologies turn out to be less than advertised. We used to think that oil/gasoline was the greatest most wonderful stuff in the world - until we figured out that it was causing global climate change. Or how about all those mutant babies born to mothers given a particular drug during pregnancy? Our track record isn't very impressive.
Hence why I said "safe and guaranteed." I was going by the hypothetical question posed. Very few things in life are 100% safe and guaranteed. If this was I'd do it. No reason not to.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 03:44 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

I agree with Owl Scowl. If I had the opportunity, I would do it. Genetically modify my children to make them immune to all diseases and cancers and such, why not?

If such technology became available, I would pay to use it.

The problem would be - to whom it would be available. It would still cost much money. So would be available only to the elite, and, perhaps, people like me too, a step down the ladder. But not to lower middle class, let alone the poor. More unfairness...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 08:04 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl Scowl View Post
Hence why I said "safe and guaranteed." I was going by the hypothetical question posed. Very few things in life are 100% safe and guaranteed. If this was I'd do it. No reason not to.
Nothing is safe and guarenteed. That's my point - particularly the claims of medical science. They've created more than a few monsters with their newest and most advanced science over the years - something we only discover AFTER the fact.

Silicone breast implants (for example) are something the medical profession previously insisted was totally safe. But now, we discover years later that it isn't safe at all and poses a major health hazzard.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 08:30 PM
Dominick's Avatar
Dominick Dominick is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dying Europe
Posts: 3,837
Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Genetic engineering is inherently unsafe because of the very nature of how genetics work in the real world outside of the laboratory. All organisms, including humans are filled to the brim with low-probability genes which originated by chance or random mutation or by mistake, i.e. by flawed recombination. The flawed nature of this system is the very reason sexual reproduction is so successful, but it's also an absolute guarantee that uncontrolled, unpredictable, unforeseen and unintended variations will occur.
No worse Pandora's box has been opened in human history so far.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Dec 12th 2012, 08:20 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl Scowl View Post
Hence why I said "safe and guaranteed." I was going by the hypothetical question posed. Very few things in life are 100% safe and guaranteed. If this was I'd do it. No reason not to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
I agree with Owl Scowl. If I had the opportunity, I would do it. Genetically modify my children to make them immune to all diseases and cancers and such, why not?

If such technology became available, I would pay to use it.
I certainly can't argue with this.

I've never been very good with 'unrealistic' hypothetical questions. I just don't get the point of them.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com