Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Oct 13th 2012, 04:49 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The problem with this view is that the legality of the first will be used to justify the second.

That is to say, if you have the legal permission to genetically alter a fetus to prevent it suffering a future disease, corporate lawyers will drive a truck through that loophole to argue that average intelligence would condemn the fetus to a life of average mediocrity or poverty, and therefore genetic enhancements are JUST LIKE doing genetic surgery to prevent a disease. Given SCOTUS track record on such issues, this would be a done deal and then you will have Monsanto trying to patent human genes (and selling them).
I don't think they will be able to force you to genetically alter your child. Furthermore as someone has argued here, intelligence might not be that much connected to genetics. There might be genetic precursors, but that's as far at it would go.
And finally, the real technology being envisaged for genetic engineering is a form of human selection that would entail a form of abortion, and therefore should it become legal is would likely never be forced ( at least not in America)
Old Oct 13th 2012, 11:18 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
Why? Do you have back problems?
Not yet but it is bound to happen. 36dd.

They're really an inconveinence. Finding bras to fit, the cost of the bras that do fit. I had to wear three sports bras in high school when I played basketball. Women's tops typically aren't mad for big chested women either. This adds to my self consciousness of wearing anything other than tshirts and hoodies.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 11:24 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post

They're really an inconveinence. Finding bras to fit, the cost of the bras that do fit. I had to wear three sports bras in high school when I played basketball. Women's tops typically aren't mad for big chested women either. This adds to my self consciousness of wearing anything other than tshirts and hoodies.
well ok.
but anyway this is not the kind of genetic engineering I had in mind. I mean sure some might take it to the limit and try to engineer everything, but the only thing that is moral would be the prevention of diseases.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 11:27 AM
Globetrotter

and by the way if you guys have been reading the news recently, the nobel prize for medicine went to stem cell research and attempts for cloning. And recently scientists in Korea managed to create sperm and eggs of mice and managed to create mice who procreated from those sperms and eggs.

Right now there are still some technical issues with human cloning, namely that the cloned's cell would have its dna mixed with the egg's dna. But this korean discovery (or invention) would make it possible to clone humans if applied to them.

So this is not speculation. People talking here today might have the chance to genetically engineer their kid maybe within the next 10 years.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 11:56 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:

I've never understood some men's obsessions with very big breasts. Every girl and woman I've known who had them had some physical problems because of them.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 06:54 PM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
well ok.
but anyway this is not the kind of genetic engineering I had in mind. I mean sure some might take it to the limit and try to engineer everything, but the only thing that is moral would be the prevention of diseases.
Oh, I know that's not the type you were discussing.

What if we just went the Harrison Bergeron route?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I've never understood some men's obsessions with very big breasts. Every girl and woman I've known who had them had some physical problems because of them.
More than a mouthful too much?
Old Oct 13th 2012, 07:45 PM
Globetrotter

I am not sure. If we in Russia could use this genetic engineering, and I could take the genes of the greatest strongman and wrestler in our history, Ivan Poddubny

Mix them with the genes of greatest Russian scientist, Dmitry Mendeleev

(who invented the chemical element periodic table) and add also the genes of Father of Russian rock Boris Grebenshikov

of whom I am a big fan and who would be the easiest since he is still alive and singing, and hopefully will continue to for many more years; and if I could put all that into my next, fourth child, a boy hopefully, I would gladly do that Build the perfect human
Old Oct 14th 2012, 03:04 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Oh, I know that's not the type you were discussing.

What if we just went the Harrison Bergeron route?

More than a mouthful too much?
In theory, one could come up with a genetic molds that would be used for the whole of humanity to clone people. But in practice, people would want their children to be their biological children, and therefore through a system of man made selection, we will inevitably end up with different people who resemble the best traits of their parents.

But again, all this might be going to far. And indeed if you consider the number of permutation that would be possible on a genetic level, it is highly unlikely that we would be able to fully engineer children. What we will be able to do is to weed out some of the diseases that their parents have or are predisposed to.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
well ok.
How can humans genetically manipulating a fetus be considered "moral"?

That looks completely immoral by any religious standard. You are messing with God's creation for your own personal interests.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 09:37 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
How can humans genetically manipulating a fetus be considered "moral"?

That looks completely immoral by any religious standard. You are messing with God's creation for your own personal interests.
First as I mention, the technique used will not alter a fetus. It will perform a selection of the fetuses that are allowed to develop, either by selecting the sperm and egg in which case there is not moral issue to consider, or by screening embryos where it is the same moral issue as abortion.