Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Aug 19th 2012, 06:20 AM
Globetrotter

Default Would you genetic engineer your child?

If it was possible, would you try to give him the genes that will best help him in his life? Furthermore, would not doing so be considered bad parenting?
Old Aug 19th 2012, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Would you genetic engineer your child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
If it was possible, would you try to give him the genes that will best help him in his life? Furthermore, would not doing so be considered bad parenting?
I'd say definitely no.

The genetic lottery is a crapshoot to begin with. Messing with that could have unintended consequences.

I have no desire to pretend that I'm god - I think that's a bit too arrogant.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 09:51 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'd say definitely no.

The genetic lottery is a crapshoot to begin with. Messing with that could have unintended consequences.

I have no desire to pretend that I'm god - I think that's a bit too arrogant.
What if clinical testing and then widespread application proved an across the board 25% intelligence improvement on all subjects? Think of the political impact from informed voters.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 09:59 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
What if clinical testing and then widespread application proved an across the board 25% intelligence improvement on all subjects? Think of the political impact from informed voters.
Impact? I'd expect them to vote for instituting eugenics.

I think humans are monsterous enough as they are. I'm not willing to risk making us worse.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:10 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Impact? I'd expect them to vote for instituting eugenics.

I think humans are monsterous enough as they are. I'm not willing to risk making us worse.
We seem to be accomplishing that without genetic engineering assistance.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
We seem to be accomplishing that without genetic engineering assistance.
Yes, that may be so, but at least our present accomplishments are merely cultural and therefore reversable. Altering our own genetics now would tend to forcibly stamp our present biases upon future generations. I'm not so sure that's a good thing. Maybe a higher average level of IQ's might not be a good thing? Nature has a way of surprising us with unintended consequences of our most benign and best intentions.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:24 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
There are no genes for high level concepts such as 'helpful in life". Such behaviour is culturally specific and a product of education and/or indoctrination. There aren't even genes for the somewhat lower concept of intelligence. That is an emergent property of the brain which is not intrinsically encoded in DNA. Conceptually, DNA contains the notion 'build a brain of about that size and intricacy', it does not -not even close- detail how each and every neuron is linked. That occurs in a chaotic (technical term) and fractal fashion and is inherently unpredictable. Michael is right, any tampering is a lottery. Any outcome is possible.
(Edit; that's also the reason I'm heavily against GMO's).
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:40 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
There are no genes for high level concepts such as 'helpful in life". Such behaviour is culturally specific and a product of education and/or indoctrination. There aren't even genes for the somewhat lower concept of intelligence. That is an emergent property of the brain which is not intrinsically encoded in DNA. Conceptually, DNA contains the notion 'build a brain of about that size and intricacy', it does not -not even close- detail how each and every neuron is linked. That occurs in a chaotic (technical term) and fractal fashion and is inherently unpredictable. Michael is right, any tampering is a lottery. Any outcome is possible.
(Edit; that's also the reason I'm heavily against GMO's).
Intelligence is not genetic. Really?
Old Aug 20th 2012, 01:00 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Not really, no and certainly not in the sense it's presented by the marketing departments of the genetic industry. After all, there's no such thing as IQ dynasties. Very few children of exceptionally intelligent/gifted people have achieved anything close to their parent(s).
Old Aug 20th 2012, 01:43 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82
If I had enough faith in the procedure, I could imagine using "genetic engineering" in utero to correct/prevent a disorder or birth defect.

I don't see myself doing anything more than that, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Quote:
Not really, no and certainly not in the sense it's presented by the marketing departments of the genetic industry. After all, there's no such thing as IQ dynasties. Very few children of exceptionally intelligent/gifted people have achieved anything close to their parent(s).
Might it be better to say that intelligence is not wholly (or even not primarily) genetic?

After all, the size and complexity of the brain aren't wholly irrelevant. And while we might not know how to to fiddle with genes to make make your kid more intelligent, I suspect we could pretty quickly figure out ways to make him much less so.