Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:25 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Higgs to be confirmed ?!

Least shocking science news ever, right?

Though I agree with you about sharing the glory.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 06:24 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Well, that didn't take long:

Higgs boson scientists win Nobel prize in physics

A bit surprised though that:

didn't happen.

Robert Brout passed away some time ago but the other three are left out altogether.
From what I've heard about Nobel committees, these other three apparently didn't wine & dine the grand poobahs sufficiently or flatter their egos and thus are being 'punished'. Seriously.

Both of the articles I've read about the Nobel committee compared them to the US Academy Awards committee where it is all a big game about "who's kissing who's ass".
Old Oct 9th 2013, 09:56 AM
Official Forum Mascot

My wife informs me that 1. the Nobel Prize cannot be shared by more than three people and 2. that the guys that got it were the original theorists, not everybody who worked on it.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:48 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
My wife informs me that 1. the Nobel Prize cannot be shared by more than three people and 2. that the guys that got it were the original theorists, not everybody who worked on it.
Last year's Peace Prize was shared by 500 million people. And it once went to Médecins Sans Frontières. I've a sneaking suspicion that there are more than thre doctors in that organisation.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Oct 9th 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 01:43 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Last year's Peace Prize was shared by 500 million people. And it once went to Médecins Sans Frontières. I've a sneaking suspicion that there are more than thre doctors in that organisation.
Well, she was specifically talking about the physics prize. I don't know what the regulations are for the peace prize, but I will also point out that if it goes to an organization, it's not going to the 500 million, or the more than 3, individuals.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 03:54 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
From what I've heard about Nobel committees, these other three apparently didn't wine & dine the grand poobahs sufficiently or flatter their egos and thus are being 'punished'. Seriously.

Both of the articles I've read about the Nobel committee compared them to the US Academy Awards committee where it is all a big game about "who's kissing who's ass".
That's the first time I've ever heard of such criticism about the Nobel Prize for Physics (or Chemistry). I can imagine this is the case for e.g. Economics but physicists are rarely the type who know to play that game or that would even bother. Besides, the selection procedure doesn't seem to allow occasion for such lobbying. I also don't think there's ever been a really controversial choice here which one could expect if sucking up were rewarded.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 04:02 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
My wife informs me that 1. the Nobel Prize cannot be shared by more than three people
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that rule. I wouldn't have deemed it possible but your wife has risen in my estimation yet again.

Quote:
and 2. that the guys that got it were the original theorists, not everybody who worked on it.
All six were authors of the famous so-called PRL symmetry breaking papers which were published in the same year (1964). The three non-award winners were a few months later but in such a complex topic that still counts as simultaneous. Years of concurrent research must have preceded these publications. Still, being the first to publish is always an advantage and probably the deciding factor here.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 04:56 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that rule. I wouldn't have deemed it possible but your wife has risen in my estimation yet again. .
Because she knew a fact?
Old Nov 30th 2013, 08:20 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I haven't a clue about this business. I read it and read it and never understand it at all.
Quote:
Thank you, DOminick, for trying to explain it.
Unfortunately, I still don't have a clue, but I appreciate your efforts
I have to say that I haven't noticed any big changes in any aspects at all of life due to this discovery. Still, I suppose the newspapers sold a few extra copies when this miraculous discovery was made.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:00 PM
Globetrotter

Apparently CERN is getting bored with the LHC and they want a new toy which would have a beam path of 100 km rather than the measly 27 km the LHC has.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26250716

I doubt very much whether it'll ever be built. What politician, let alone majority of politicians, in this day and age still has the savoir faire to sell this to the general public.