Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 01:32 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Are plants life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixingTheFuture View Post
We all have our opinions, So Im going to take your opening question literal and define what is believed and respected as scientific fact.

I am not saying that life can't mean other things IE "That milk has a shelf life of 2hours."

Biology is the study of "life" and Biology studies multi-cellular organisms as well as single cellular organisms -Which both Humans and plants are therefore Plants are considered to be "life" I believe you are confused with the fact that they are intelligent life or not. Plants are not intelligent in our eyes as humans... This is simply the simple act of using ones point of view to explain something. the plant doesn't seem to have an organ for thought such as our brain, but the plants genetics hold memory of the previous life that existed in that strain of plant through the respected process of evolution... Yes plant is considered "life" In the English language and as far as every respected science that exists today I believe they have all agreed plants are "life" due to their biology as a cellular organism.

A More technical way to explain why scientists have agreed that they are "life" is because they undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, respond to stimuli, reproduce, and posess a capacity to grow. They also, as stated above, They go through the process of natural selection in order to adapt to their surroundings. Plants have alot in common with you and I, For instance, We are both water based, We both metabolize food for fuel in order to grow and survive, and both plants, humans, animals, & reptiles all have a cellular form that makes us all what we are today.

I also believe your philosophy on this matter relates more to consciousness and less to existence itself. Your perception on religion, souls, and whether or not there is an afterlife all can have a very strong affect to your opinion and by your comment i would suggest you probably don't believe simple organic objects or cellular organisms have souls or can contain a consciousness... *I hope i was of some help to your answer as I noticed that this thread has turned into more of a debate and less of an answer into plant life. -Josh
No, you weren't of any help. This whole text is the biggest load of wool I have ever read, with the odd obvious fact thrown in.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 03:36 PM
dilettante's Avatar
dilettante dilettante is offline
Moderator
Resident Historian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,082
Default Re: Are plants life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixingTheFuture View Post
We all have our opinions, So Im going to take your opening question literal and define what is believed and respected as scientific fact.

I am not saying that life can't mean other things IE "That milk has a shelf life of 2hours."

Biology is the study of "life" and Biology studies multi-cellular organisms as well as single cellular organisms -Which both Humans and plants are therefore Plants are considered to be "life" I believe you are confused with the fact that they are intelligent life or not. Plants are not intelligent in our eyes as humans... This is simply the simple act of using ones point of view to explain something. the plant doesn't seem to have an organ for thought such as our brain, but the plants genetics hold memory of the previous life that existed in that strain of plant through the respected process of evolution... Yes plant is considered "life" In the English language and as far as every respected science that exists today I believe they have all agreed plants are "life" due to their biology as a cellular organism.

A More technical way to explain why scientists have agreed that they are "life" is because they undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, respond to stimuli, reproduce, and posess a capacity to grow. They also, as stated above, They go through the process of natural selection in order to adapt to their surroundings. Plants have alot in common with you and I, For instance, We are both water based, We both metabolize food for fuel in order to grow and survive, and both plants, humans, animals, & reptiles all have a cellular form that makes us all what we are today.

I also believe your philosophy on this matter relates more to consciousness and less to existence itself. Your perception on religion, souls, and whether or not there is an afterlife all can have a very strong affect to your opinion and by your comment i would suggest you probably don't believe simple organic objects or cellular organisms have souls or can contain a consciousness... *I hope i was of some help to your answer as I noticed that this thread has turned into more of a debate and less of an answer into plant life. -Josh
Actually, I think the technical definition is an excellent one, since it provides a clear and objectively discernible list of criteria.

Thanks
__________________
kyrie eleison
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 06:29 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Are plants life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixingTheFuture View Post
We all have our opinions, So Im going to take your opening question literal and define what is believed and respected as scientific fact.

I am not saying that life can't mean other things IE "That milk has a shelf life of 2hours."

Biology is the study of "life" and Biology studies multi-cellular organisms as well as single cellular organisms -Which both Humans and plants are therefore Plants are considered to be "life" I believe you are confused with the fact that they are intelligent life or not. Plants are not intelligent in our eyes as humans... This is simply the simple act of using ones point of view to explain something. the plant doesn't seem to have an organ for thought such as our brain, but the plants genetics hold memory of the previous life that existed in that strain of plant through the respected process of evolution... Yes plant is considered "life" In the English language and as far as every respected science that exists today I believe they have all agreed plants are "life" due to their biology as a cellular organism.

A More technical way to explain why scientists have agreed that they are "life" is because they undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, respond to stimuli, reproduce, and posess a capacity to grow. They also, as stated above, They go through the process of natural selection in order to adapt to their surroundings. Plants have alot in common with you and I, For instance, We are both water based, We both metabolize food for fuel in order to grow and survive, and both plants, humans, animals, & reptiles all have a cellular form that makes us all what we are today.

I also believe your philosophy on this matter relates more to consciousness and less to existence itself. Your perception on religion, souls, and whether or not there is an afterlife all can have a very strong affect to your opinion and by your comment i would suggest you probably don't believe simple organic objects or cellular organisms have souls or can contain a consciousness... *I hope i was of some help to your answer as I noticed that this thread has turned into more of a debate and less of an answer into plant life. -Josh
That's a great post Josh and an excellent contribution to the discussion.

The whole issue here seems to turn on the definition of life itself. Certainly plants, trees and even plankton are alive - I can't imagine anyone debating that.

I think consciousness is the real line of dispute. Many people assert that most of the larger mammals have a consciousness equivilent to humans. This is highly debatable.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:54 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Are plants life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That's a great post Josh and an excellent contribution to the discussion.

The whole issue here seems to turn on the definition of life itself. Certainly plants, trees and even plankton are alive - I can't imagine anyone debating that.

I think consciousness is the real line of dispute. Many people assert that most of the larger mammals have a consciousness equivilent to humans. This is highly debatable.
None of the research I have seen puts any non-humans on the level of humans. Some (chimps, dolphins, etc.) come a lot closer than others, and some seem to have certain elements that others don't.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:11 AM
FixingTheFuture FixingTheFuture is offline
Villager
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 12
Default Re: Are plants life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
No, you weren't of any help. This whole text is the biggest load of wool I have ever read, with the odd obvious fact thrown in.
You have to know how to read in order to understand it... It's okay though do you have voice chat? Ill read it to ya =P ; ) -PLAYN ROUND



As well as the word Consciousness being used i wasn't referring to the intelligence of the animal just the fact that the animal can observe things in a similar manner... They may use the same senses as us to observe their world although they won't understand it the way we do.
__________________
www.fixingthefuture.webs.com
This Website is the source for my articles on what I believe to be important events and topics for the worlds population!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 01:25 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Are plants life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixingTheFuture View Post
You have to know how to read in order to understand it... It's okay though do you have voice chat? Ill read it to ya =P ; ) -PLAYN ROUND



As well as the word Consciousness being used i wasn't referring to the intelligence of the animal just the fact that the animal can observe things in a similar manner... They may use the same senses as us to observe their world although they won't understand it the way we do.
Yes, you've sussed it - I'm a vulgar ignoramus who does everything in a hurry, and complete misses the bigger things - well, no! I carefully, and slowly read that bullshit, and it was very clear that you were far more interested in lecturing, than in the actual question that was posed - if you had studied that debate which you seem to think was such an unfortunate consequence of my question, you would have had more of an inkling as to what I was getting at - so plants have a memory from an earlier life, computers have a memory, are they life???
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 01:28 AM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Are plants life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Yes, you've sussed it - I'm a vulgar ignoramus who does everything in a hurry, and complete misses the bigger things - well, no! I carefully, and slowly read that bullshit, and it was very clear that you were far more interested in lecturing, than in the actual question that was posed - if you had studied that debate which you seem to think was such an unfortunate consequence of my question, you would have had more of an inkling as to what I was getting at - so plants have a memory from an earlier life, computers have a memory, are they life???
Are you being intentionally rude?
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 01:32 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Are plants life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Are you being intentionally rude?
I consider a lot of what you say as being rude, so I will not talk about rudeness with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I was Catholic for many years and never had a problem with homosexuality. Your reduction is stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post



.
__________________
Europe

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Dec 3rd 2011 at 01:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 02:05 AM
The Drunk Guy's Avatar
The Drunk Guy The Drunk Guy is offline
Bad Motherfucker
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 'Round back
Posts: 2,339
Default Re: Are plants life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I consider a lot of what you say as being rude, so I will not talk about rudeness with you.
So who will you talk to about rudeness? You obviously need to talk to someone because you're getting out of control.
__________________
Vae, puto deus fio...
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 02:10 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Are plants life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
So who will you talk to about rudeness? You obviously need to talk to someone because you're getting out of control.
Well not you. You fall into the same category as Donkey.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com