Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Nov 10th 2011, 01:01 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Default Re: Are plants life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
But I do believe that when people use the word 'life' in daily discourse, they are usually referring, in their minds, to something that plants don't have.
But since when is that authoritative? What people "have in their minds" is rarely the actually definition of a thing.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 02:10 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
But since when is that authoritative? What people "have in their minds" is rarely the actually definition of a thing.
Well, I personally think that what people "have in their minds" does actually have a powerful claim to the title of a definition.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 02:19 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Well, I personally think that what people "have in their minds" does actually have a powerful claim to the title of a definition.
Yes. It is "a" definition. Specifically, in this case, it is the wrong definition.

Though I would give average folks a lot more credit than you would. Pretty much everybody knows that plants are living things.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 03:24 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Yes. It is "a" definition. Specifically, in this case, it is the wrong definition.

Though I would give average folks a lot more credit than you would. Pretty much everybody knows that plants are living things.
That's your opinion, 't'would be a dull forum were't not for diversity of opinion
Old Nov 10th 2011, 03:29 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
But to what end? "What people have in their minds" is often at a complete disconnect from anything resembling reality. People, regardless of nation, are woefully under-educated about the natural world around them. They think that whales are fish. They think that volcanoes are one or several gods getting angry. They think that the oceans are bottomless.

That a large group of people think something doesn't make it true.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 03:57 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
But to what end? "What people have in their minds" is often at a complete disconnect from anything resembling reality. People, regardless of nation, are woefully under-educated about the natural world around them. They think that whales are fish. They think that volcanoes are one or several gods getting angry. They think that the oceans are bottomless.

Rather than quibble over the meaning of the word 'life' let's think rather about whether or not self-consciousness is the crowning glory of life. I say it is.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 04:46 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post

Well, really, when it comes to the definition of words, it kinda does...
I can't think of a higher authority for what a word means than the collective definition of the people who use it.

That is to say, if [almost] everyone uses a given word to mean X, and a dictionary states that it really means Y, then in my book it's the dictionary that's wrong (it probably needs to be updated).

That said, of course, I'm pretty sure the vast, vast, vast majority of people define "life" in such a way that it includes plants. A trickier possibility might be something like fire!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 04:52 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
I can't think of a higher authority for what a word means than the collective definition of the people who use it.

That is to say, if [almost] everyone uses a given word to mean X, and a dictionary states that it really means Y, then in my book it's the dictionary that's wrong (it probably needs to be updated).

That said, of course, I'm pretty sure the vast, vast, vast majority of people define "life" in such a way that it includes plants. A trickier possibility might be something like fire!
dilletante, I agree with everything you say.
My own policy is that if a person is speaking their native language, then their definition of a given word, is as good a definition as any other.

However, with this particular 'life' debate, it's a slightly different situation, since most people agree that plants are life, but at the same time, I personally feel that when the word 'life' is used on a daily basis, it's normally about a certain something which doesn't really apply to plants. That's what I think anyway.

I also think that the word 'life' carries with it a certain specialness, which is only really prevalent among animals.

We see computers get more and more advanced, but we mock the idea that they can ever be anything like us. And the reason for that is quite simple - they lack self-consciousness, just like plants.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 05:39 PM
Official Forum Mascot

The title of this thread should be "Do plants have theory of mind."

Then the answer "no" would be more realistic. But then, mosquitos and cats don't really have ToM either.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 06:27 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

So, if the vast majority of people think that whales are fish, whales suddenly grow gills?