Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:33 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Why do male humans get cantankerous with age

MeMyselfandI, with regard to the 60-year-old Russian women. Don't you think that part of their problem is that they've very often never had any hobbies. They've spent their whole life devoting themselves to what is practical, and never given any times to actually enjoy something just for the sake of enjoying it.

I'll admit, that I'm too much the other way - I'm constantly thinking about history and literature and sport (I don't count sex, since that is part of being a human, perhaps especially a man), when I should be thinking about more practical things, like improving my IT skills, or going to the supermarket.

But I think it is important in one's youth to develop an interest in things that can see one through old age. How on earth can old people, who are retired, prefer TV over books?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 05:27 AM
This wine needs more whisky

It's called bad eyesight
Old Oct 1st 2011, 07:18 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
It's called bad eyesight
Don't remind me - that's one of the things I worry about, when it comes to old age.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 08:05 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
MeMyselfandI, with regard to the 60-year-old Russian women. Don't you think that part of their problem is that they've very often never had any hobbies. They've spent their whole life devoting themselves to what is practical, and never given any times to actually enjoy something just for the sake of enjoying it.

I'll admit, that I'm too much the other way - I'm constantly thinking about history and literature and sport (I don't count sex, since that is part of being a human, perhaps especially a man), when I should be thinking about more practical things, like improving my IT skills, or going to the supermarket.

But I think it is important in one's youth to develop an interest in things that can see one through old age. How on earth can old people, who are retired, prefer TV over books?
They do watch a lot of television, at least those who have access to television. Mexican soap operas mostly. That seems to be their favorite. And later, on that bench, they sit and talk about the latest episode. It is hillarious really... you are walking by these babushki, wrapped in their headscarves and all that; and you hear "Julio married Francesca!" "Oh, God, that's awful, what did he see in her?!"

But, as I said, the biggest factor in the odl ladies' bad moods is the loneliness. There are certain family-oriented cultures in Russia, including my own Old Orthodox, where the old are cared for, they live surrounded by their children and grandchildren, never alone, never lonely and depressed.

But it is not like that in most of the country. In Moscow and elsewhere, her children leave, start their own lives, rarely visit. Her husband, chances are, dies a decade before her. So, 10 to 12 years, all alone. Some old people here die alone, and nobody even discovers that they are dead, often until neighbors complain about the strange bad smell from the apartment... It is horrbile, honestly. Horrible situation.

Last edited by MeMyselfAndI; Oct 1st 2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 08:39 PM
World Citizen

Old people always seem like they just don't give a fuck and refuse to play by the rules anymore. Especially when it comes to driving. They will just pull out in front of anybody and drive slow because they feel like they have earned the right by surviving so long.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 09:50 PM
This wine needs more whisky

Pom come to richmond and party next saturday
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 01:40 AM
Globetrotter

MeMyselfandI, could not the Russian government organise a scheme whereby unemployed people are vetted, and then asked to do some community work, visiting lonely old people, once a week?

The old people would be allowed to decide if they wanted this kind of visit or not, of course - they should not be forced to take part.

The organisers could also make sure that an old person was visited by an unemployed person with the same interests as the old person.

You might say that traditional families should be the model, but there are always going to be lonely old people, that is just a fact.

It would make the unemployed people feel they were doing something useful for the community.

And of course, they would have to be strictly vetted.

Or is Putin too busy thinking about more macho things than such schemes?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
MeMyselfandI, could not the Russian government organise a scheme whereby unemployed people are vetted, and then asked to do some community work, visiting lonely old people, once a week?

The old people would be allowed to decide if they wanted this kind of visit or not, of course - they should not be forced to take part.

The organisers could also make sure that an old person was visited by an unemployed person with the same interests as the old person.

You might say that traditional families should be the model, but there are always going to be lonely old people, that is just a fact.

It would make the unemployed people feel they were doing something useful for the community.

And of course, they would have to be strictly vetted.

Or is Putin too busy thinking about more macho things than such schemes?
You can't force people to be nice. It just doesn't work.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 08:14 AM
Globetrotter

Michael, you are absolutely right, and that's a valid argument.
But at the same time, every time someone suggests something (as I have) there are always plenty of valid objections, which people can raise if they want to.

Your problem is easily solved - the visiting-old-people-scheme could be part of a wider scheme, whereby all unemployed people are required to do community work. (British PM David Cameron was looking into a similar scheme) Some work could be cleaning litter in parks, other work could be cleaning canals, and other work could be my visiting-old-people scheme. The participants in the visiting-old-people scheme would have to have the right personalities for this scheme.

And bang goes your objection. (you'll raise another no doubt)

The problem is that Putin thinks that as long as people are scared of him, he's doing a good job, when in reality, Russia has turned into a worse place during his long time in charge of things.

Shame on Medvedev, for doing Jack Shite about it, while president.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Oct 2nd 2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:35 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
Pom come to richmond and party next saturday
I have to work.