Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Aug 31st 2011, 02:00 PM
drgoodtrips's Avatar
drgoodtrips drgoodtrips is offline
Official Forum Geek
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,314
Default Measles Making a Comeback

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-mcp083011.php

Quote:
More than 150 cases of measles have been reported in the United States already this year and there have been similar outbreaks in Europe, a sign the disease is making an alarming comeback. The reappearance of the potentially deadly virus is the result of unfounded fears about a link between the measles shot and autism that have turned some parents against childhood vaccination, says Gregory Poland, M.D. (http://www.mayoclinic.org/bio/10966366.html), of Mayo Clinic. In the September issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings (http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com), Dr. Poland urges doctors to review extensive scientific research that has found no connection between the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine and autism.
I don't recall that I've seen the issue of whether or not to vaccinate children here, but this certainly seems to be an alarming trend demonstrating what happens if people don't.

I'll throw my opinion out there -- I tend to think that the anti-vaccination movement is the essence of quackery/conspiracy theorizing.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Aug 31st 2011, 02:06 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Measles Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post

I'll throw my opinion out there -- I tend to think that the anti-vaccination movement is the essence of quackery/conspiracy theorizing.
Yes. Except for most conspiracy theories, you just have a handful of kooks who think the government is perpetrating massive scams like Area 51 and not landing on the moon.

For this sort of thing, it has real world detrimental effects.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Aug 31st 2011, 02:15 PM
drgoodtrips's Avatar
drgoodtrips drgoodtrips is offline
Official Forum Geek
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,314
Default Re: Measles Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Yes. Except for most conspiracy theories, you just have a handful of kooks who think the government is perpetrating massive scams like Area 51 and not landing on the moon.

For this sort of thing, it has real world detrimental effects.
Detrimental effects on more than just the unfortunate children of parents who buy into the conspiracy. My understanding of the science of vaccination is that there is some small percentage of the populace who has allergies to the vaccine or for whom it isn't 100% effective. These children, protected by so-called "herd immunity", become at risk as more people opt not to vaccinate.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Aug 31st 2011, 05:43 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Measles Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-mcp083011.php



I don't recall that I've seen the issue of whether or not to vaccinate children here, but this certainly seems to be an alarming trend demonstrating what happens if people don't.

I'll throw my opinion out there -- I tend to think that the anti-vaccination movement is the essence of quackery/conspiracy theorizing.
It is and has been from day one. But you can thank Oprah for giving the crackpots a national bullhorn and Oprah's support. Oprah's been one of the biggest boosters of crackpot anti-medical theories out there for the last twenty years - specifically including the crackpot anti-vaccine activists.

The vaccine-autism connection was shot down by science practically the instant it first appeared - this has had virtually no effect on the spread of the idea.

As far as I'm concerned, getting Oprah off daytime tv is probably the single best thing that can be done for healthcare in the USA.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Aug 31st 2011, 06:29 PM
drgoodtrips's Avatar
drgoodtrips drgoodtrips is offline
Official Forum Geek
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,314
Default Re: Measles Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
It is and has been from day one. But you can thank Oprah for giving the crackpots a national bullhorn and Oprah's support. Oprah's been one of the biggest boosters of crackpot anti-medical theories out there for the last twenty years - specifically including the crackpot anti-vaccine activists.

The vaccine-autism connection was shot down by science practically the instant it first appeared - this has had virtually no effect on the spread of the idea.

As far as I'm concerned, getting Oprah off daytime tv is probably the single best thing that can be done for healthcare in the USA.
Didn't know that about Oprah, but can't say it's surprising. It always seemed to me as if she had her finger on the pulse of whatever bullshit, feel-good nonsense was currently en vogue with her viewers and was happy to setup an echo chamber for it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Aug 31st 2011, 07:39 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Measles Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Didn't know that about Oprah, but can't say it's surprising. It always seemed to me as if she had her finger on the pulse of whatever bullshit, feel-good nonsense was currently en vogue with her viewers and was happy to setup an echo chamber for it.
I'm sure Oprah isn't the only one who's guilty of pushing these ideas - rather only the one with the biggest platform/audience/influence.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:50 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Measles Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm sure Oprah isn't the only one who's guilty of pushing these ideas - rather only the one with the biggest platform/audience/influence.
I never paid enough attention to her to notice that, but fuck that kind of "abominationism."
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:52 PM
andrewl's Avatar
andrewl andrewl is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 426
Default Re: Measles Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-mcp083011.php



I don't recall that I've seen the issue of whether or not to vaccinate children here, but this certainly seems to be an alarming trend demonstrating what happens if people don't.

I'll throw my opinion out there -- I tend to think that the anti-vaccination movement is the essence of quackery/conspiracy theorizing.
It is certainly the most immediately harmful example of it that's for sure. Unfortunately it seems to be just part of larger and growing tendency of american society to reject science. The favored republican nominee this election season is pushing the same sort of anti-science view.
__________________
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

-George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Sep 1st 2011, 02:27 AM
drgoodtrips's Avatar
drgoodtrips drgoodtrips is offline
Official Forum Geek
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,314
Default Re: Measles Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewl View Post
It is certainly the most immediately harmful example of it that's for sure. Unfortunately it seems to be just part of larger and growing tendency of american society to reject science. The favored republican nominee this election season is pushing the same sort of anti-science view.
You mean Mitt Romney?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:26 AM
andrewl's Avatar
andrewl andrewl is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 426
Default Re: Measles Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
You mean Mitt Romney?
I actually think Romney is uncomfortable with such views, but feels as though he has to pander to those people. The person who is a favorite currently and seems to fully embrace the anti-science view is Rick Perry.
__________________
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

-George Orwell
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com