Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Aug 31st 2011, 02:00 PM
Official Forum Geek

Default Measles Making a Comeback

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-mcp083011.php

Quote:
More than 150 cases of measles have been reported in the United States already this year and there have been similar outbreaks in Europe, a sign the disease is making an alarming comeback. The reappearance of the potentially deadly virus is the result of unfounded fears about a link between the measles shot and autism that have turned some parents against childhood vaccination, says Gregory Poland, M.D. (http://www.mayoclinic.org/bio/10966366.html), of Mayo Clinic. In the September issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings (http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com), Dr. Poland urges doctors to review extensive scientific research that has found no connection between the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine and autism.
I don't recall that I've seen the issue of whether or not to vaccinate children here, but this certainly seems to be an alarming trend demonstrating what happens if people don't.

I'll throw my opinion out there -- I tend to think that the anti-vaccination movement is the essence of quackery/conspiracy theorizing.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 02:06 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Measles Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post

I'll throw my opinion out there -- I tend to think that the anti-vaccination movement is the essence of quackery/conspiracy theorizing.
Yes. Except for most conspiracy theories, you just have a handful of kooks who think the government is perpetrating massive scams like Area 51 and not landing on the moon.

For this sort of thing, it has real world detrimental effects.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 02:15 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Yes. Except for most conspiracy theories, you just have a handful of kooks who think the government is perpetrating massive scams like Area 51 and not landing on the moon.

For this sort of thing, it has real world detrimental effects.
Detrimental effects on more than just the unfortunate children of parents who buy into the conspiracy. My understanding of the science of vaccination is that there is some small percentage of the populace who has allergies to the vaccine or for whom it isn't 100% effective. These children, protected by so-called "herd immunity", become at risk as more people opt not to vaccinate.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:

I don't recall that I've seen the issue of whether or not to vaccinate children here, but this certainly seems to be an alarming trend demonstrating what happens if people don't.

It is and has been from day one. But you can thank Oprah for giving the crackpots a national bullhorn and Oprah's support. Oprah's been one of the biggest boosters of crackpot anti-medical theories out there for the last twenty years - specifically including the crackpot anti-vaccine activists.

The vaccine-autism connection was shot down by science practically the instant it first appeared - this has had virtually no effect on the spread of the idea.

As far as I'm concerned, getting Oprah off daytime tv is probably the single best thing that can be done for healthcare in the USA.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 06:29 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
It is and has been from day one. But you can thank Oprah for giving the crackpots a national bullhorn and Oprah's support. Oprah's been one of the biggest boosters of crackpot anti-medical theories out there for the last twenty years - specifically including the crackpot anti-vaccine activists.

The vaccine-autism connection was shot down by science practically the instant it first appeared - this has had virtually no effect on the spread of the idea.

As far as I'm concerned, getting Oprah off daytime tv is probably the single best thing that can be done for healthcare in the USA.
Didn't know that about Oprah, but can't say it's surprising. It always seemed to me as if she had her finger on the pulse of whatever bullshit, feel-good nonsense was currently en vogue with her viewers and was happy to setup an echo chamber for it.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 07:39 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Didn't know that about Oprah, but can't say it's surprising. It always seemed to me as if she had her finger on the pulse of whatever bullshit, feel-good nonsense was currently en vogue with her viewers and was happy to setup an echo chamber for it.
I'm sure Oprah isn't the only one who's guilty of pushing these ideas - rather only the one with the biggest platform/audience/influence.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:50 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm sure Oprah isn't the only one who's guilty of pushing these ideas - rather only the one with the biggest platform/audience/influence.
I never paid enough attention to her to notice that, but fuck that kind of "abominationism."
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:52 PM
Citizen

Quote:

It is certainly the most immediately harmful example of it that's for sure. Unfortunately it seems to be just part of larger and growing tendency of american society to reject science. The favored republican nominee this election season is pushing the same sort of anti-science view.

-George Orwell
Old Sep 1st 2011, 02:27 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewl View Post
It is certainly the most immediately harmful example of it that's for sure. Unfortunately it seems to be just part of larger and growing tendency of american society to reject science. The favored republican nominee this election season is pushing the same sort of anti-science view.
You mean Mitt Romney?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:26 AM
Citizen

Quote:
You mean Mitt Romney?
I actually think Romney is uncomfortable with such views, but feels as though he has to pander to those people. The person who is a favorite currently and seems to fully embrace the anti-science view is Rick Perry.

-George Orwell