Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Mar 10th 2010, 05:10 PM
World Citizen

Default Insomnia

I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it if needed. Does anybody else here have trouble with insomnia? I have had it all of my life. I can even remember being a child and occasionally having completely sleepless nights. I'm current taking Trazodone which is an old anti-depressant which also helps with sleeplessness and isn't as strong as the more popular drugs like Lunesta or Ambien. It works most of the time but whenever I have a lot on my mind it isn't always enough. I just started a new job and haven't slept well these past few weeks. I'm trying to exercise more but I'm wondering if any of you have any other suggestions.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 05:19 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Insomnia

I don't have and never have had any trouble sleeping.

Anyway, one oddball solution that I have found working for other people is the old north-south bed configuration. Apparently putting your bed east-west can disturb lots of people and cause them to suffer 'sleeplessness'. This obviously isn't the solution to all sleepless problems, but it apparently is a solution to some of them.

Apparently this has something to do with the earth's magnetic field and the human body's own magnetic field.

I don't presume to understand this, but I do know it can solve some problems for some people.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 07:19 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I don't have and never have had any trouble sleeping.

Anyway, one oddball solution that I have found working for other people is the old north-south bed configuration. Apparently putting your bed east-west can disturb lots of people and cause them to suffer 'sleeplessness'. This obviously isn't the solution to all sleepless problems, but it apparently is a solution to some of them.

Apparently this has something to do with the earth's magnetic field and the human body's own magnetic field.

I don't presume to understand this, but I do know it can solve some problems for some people.
I've never heard that before. I'll look into it.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 09:47 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I've never heard that before. I'll look into it.
I only mention it because I heard about it a real long time ago, I've repeated it to a few people over the years and several have been VERY pleased with the result.

Like I said, not everyone at all, just a few cases, but if it works for you, that's what counts!

Though, given what you said about having it all your life, this obviously isn't a likely solution. This seems to work more for people who move into a new place and then find they are having sleep problems.

(speaking of which, I've heard that 'sleeping disorders' are hugely common - I've always been oblivious to the topic)
Old Mar 10th 2010, 09:55 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it if needed. Does anybody else here have trouble with insomnia? I have had it all of my life. I can even remember being a child and occasionally having completely sleepless nights. I'm current taking Trazodone which is an old anti-depressant which also helps with sleeplessness and isn't as strong as the more popular drugs like Lunesta or Ambien. It works most of the time but whenever I have a lot on my mind it isn't always enough. I just started a new job and haven't slept well these past few weeks. I'm trying to exercise more but I'm wondering if any of you have any other suggestions.
A close friend (now dead) was a diagnosed night owl, which is a form of insomnia. The way he explained it to me was his body clock being different than mine. I just looked on the net and found a medical definition:

"Stanford's sleep doctors investigated 312 patients over a five year period, and noted that they fell into one of three major chronotypes; night owls (late night insomnia), morning larks (early morning insomnia) and intermediate insomniacs ( mid-sleep awakening). Chronotype refers to the sleep/wake center in our brains that regulates our sleep and wake behavior. Many of us have sleep problems because this 'body clock' isn't functioning properly."

http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/sleep-...night-owls.htm

An interesting article for purposes of the thread.

Due to a lack of available research in his era, he wasn't formally diagnosed until in his middle '30s. He also experienced sleepless nights in his childhood. He lived with it, anyone functioning on a normal body clock knew one didn't call him unless absolutely necessary until the sun was well over the horizon in his time zone. His professional life flourished as he had no options but conformity and learning to function on four hours daily sleep during the workweek. On weekends he reverted to his night owl body clock. His personal life did suffer. Putting two compatible night owls together is very long odds.

He became expert and widely known in his business field by his early '40s and did his own very successful one-man consulting agency. With a series of admin assistant/live-in lovers with average tenures of three years. Everything but obligatory meet the boss and pick-up the checks could be done at night and he was happy. When he retired, he lived 100% as a night owl.

That's my knowledge of insomnia.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:55 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
I had a friend in college who said he beat insomnia by never using his bed for anything except sleeping: no lounging or reading or day-dreaming or anything else in bed. He only got in bed when he was really tired and immediately left the bed when we woke up in the morning. He thought that it trained his mind to always associate being in the bed with being asleep.
Results may vary, but it worked for him.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:56 AM
Resident Anthropologist

I used to have problems with sleeping on occasion. I rarely medicated for it because I found that when I took a sleeping pill, I felt terribly groggy after waking. I even started to feel restless and jittery with them after a few years of occasional use.

I don't know precisely when my sleep problems abated but a lot of it just went away on its own when I became secure in my employment. When I was a grad student I was always having problems sleeping. My pressure to perform is no less than it was then but I suppose living on very little and never knowing if TA jobs would be available next year was a lot of stress for me. Also, I'm finding now that having a kid makes you more tired than you might expect :-) Perhaps you should have more!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 09:32 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
I had a friend in college who said he beat insomnia by never using his bed for anything except sleeping: no lounging or reading or day-dreaming or anything else in bed. He only got in bed when he was really tired and immediately left the bed when we woke up in the morning. He thought that it trained his mind to always associate being in the bed with being asleep.
I actually do that already. I have heard that it helps quite a bit but for some reason it doesn't for me. I think the main problem is that my mind races when I'm laying in bed.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 09:32 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Also, I'm finding now that having a kid makes you more tired than you might expect :-) Perhaps you should have more!
Hell no
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:39 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
I'd think that discipline could have a negative impact on his sex life.