Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Sep 1st 2011, 06:25 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Measles Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Rick Perry is the favorite now? Yikes.
Not really. He's about as electable as Palin or Bachman in a general election.

All his comments about how Social Security and Medicare have destroyed America are guarenteed to haunt his campaign and doom his election.

If anything, the fact that Perry has overtaken Romney is good news for Obama - only Romney has a chance to beat Obama.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 08:30 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Not really. He's about as electable as Palin or Bachman in a general election.

All his comments about how Social Security and Medicare have destroyed America are guarenteed to haunt his campaign and doom his election.

If anything, the fact that Perry has overtaken Romney is good news for Obama - only Romney has a chance to beat Obama.
He still scares me. He sounds so much like W. Bush. I have a high degree of confidence that Bachman or Palin are unelectable, but Perry...my faith in the American public stops just short.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 11:50 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewl View Post
There is also the dunning-krueger effect which shows that people who lack knowledge in a certain subject are more likely to overestimate their knowledge, whereas experts in a certain subject are more likely to underestimate their knowledge. This is why on topics like vaccination or evolution or climate change you have so many people who think they are experts, but clearly know next to nothing of what they are talking about, and when experts discuss it they are ever so cautious not to make any statements of absolute certainty.
That reminds me of the aphorism (paraphrased) "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." As a programmer or in any IT capacity, the worst people to deal with are so-called "power users". Clueless users are easy to deal with -- they know that they don't know anything and want nothing to do with trying. True experts are fine to deal with because you just talk shop, delegate or exchange ideas. Power users tend to cause issues because they know just enough to be able to do serious damage, but not enough to know that they are about to or how to clean it up.

I wonder if this comes from previously viewing a problem domain as unapproachable, learning a bit about it, and then getting a sense that it was much easier than you thought.

Quote:
Maybe science needs a PR and marketing firm.... so few scientists make effective public speakers.
I think that's really true for situations where politics and science have some commonality. Think of the operation of universities. They have people on staff that do that sort of thing to allow research scientists to do their work, relatively unencumbered by BS.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 11:52 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
He still scares me. He sounds so much like W. Bush. I have a high degree of confidence that Bachman or Palin are unelectable, but Perry...my faith in the American public stops just short.
I'd say incumbent Obama is a far better candidate than Al Gore was. (Not an assessment of his presidency -- just him as a candidate.)
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:35 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
That reminds me of the aphorism (paraphrased) "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." As a programmer or in any IT capacity, the worst people to deal with are so-called "power users". Clueless users are easy to deal with -- they know that they don't know anything and want nothing to do with trying. True experts are fine to deal with because you just talk shop, delegate or exchange ideas. Power users tend to cause issues because they know just enough to be able to do serious damage, but not enough to know that they are about to or how to clean it up.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again."

~Pope in An Essay on Criticism
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 01:30 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
"A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again."

~Pope in An Essay on Criticism
Thanks -- I was unaware of the saying's origin. I'm pretty pleased that I got it almost completely right.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 03:11 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Thanks -- I was unaware of the saying's origin. I'm pretty pleased that I got it almost completely right.
I was a big fan of Pope in college. Now that it's come up, I'm tempted to go read some of his stuff again...