Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old Oct 19th 2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default What are you reading?

Inquiring minds want to know! Tell us what you are reading, what you've recently read or are planning to read in the future.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 05:23 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: What are you reading?

I was reading un abdridged The Descent of Man by Charles Darwin, yes, that Darwin.
And I've discovered why most editions are abridged. With his proto-scientific hat on, Darwin is a meticulous researcher and a fact collector to a degree I suspect him of Obsessive-Compulsive disorder (contrary to popular belief).
But in the sections that are usually omitted from abridged editions, which are sections wher he puts on his philosophical-sociological hat, boy oh boy, he goes out of the bend in no small way. In that capacity he's an extreme class bigot. Combined with the mishap here I couldn't stomach it anymore and switched to the umpteenth visit to Beleriand in Tolkien's Silmarillion. I'm in the chapter where Maeglin makes it to Gondolin presently
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:56 AM
Globetrotter

On the fiction side I just finished Michael Connelly's 'The Brass Verdict'. As a long time fan of Connelly's Harry Bosch series who also enjoyed 'The Lincoln Lawyer' (same primary lead character as Brass Verdict) I was very disappointed with the what I considered pathetic attempt to merge both characters.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:08 PM
Official Forum Mascot

I'm about to start that de Waal book on primates and morality.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I'm about to start that de Waal book on primates and morality.
We anxiously await your review of such... morality is a topic that is near and dear to many here...
Old Oct 20th 2008, 01:00 PM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
On the fiction side I just finished Michael Connelly's 'The Brass Verdict'. As a long time fan of Connelly's Harry Bosch series who also enjoyed 'The Lincoln Lawyer' (same primary lead character as Brass Verdict) I was very disappointed with the what I considered pathetic attempt to merge both characters.
I am disappointed to hear that, I am a fan of Harry Bosch and thought the Lincoln Lawyer was OK. I am still waiting to read The Brass Verdict from the library.
Have you read the new Ian Rankin? I haven't read it nor have I heard anything about it except it is not Rebus nor Siobahn!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 01:21 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sister View Post
I am disappointed to hear that, I am a fan of Harry Bosch and thought the Lincoln Lawyer was OK. I am still waiting to read The Brass Verdict from the library.
Have you read the new Ian Rankin? I haven't read it nor have I heard anything about it except it is not Rebus nor Siobahn!
You might like it, very clever and informative on the lawyer side, but not nearly enough Bosch for my taste. He definitely leaves the door open for something better with the two characters.

Haven't read Rankin's new one. I keep hoping he'll resurrect Rebus as a member of the retired special group but he could just be burned out on the characters. IMO Siobahn is somewhat bland, without the personal character flaws that drove Rebus, and it would be difficult to recast her.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 02:17 PM
Villager

Quote:
IMO Siobahn is somewhat bland, without the personal character flaws that drove Rebus, and it would be difficult to recast her.
I agree with you no way he could do a series with her - you're right - not enough character flaws.
I highly recommend you try out Peter Robinson, a Brit living in Toronto, writing about Chief Inspector Banks in the Midlands UK. I have seen Rankin, Robinson and Connelly on tour together and they are three of a kind with Robinson being the least dark and his hero CI Banks being the least damaged.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 02:37 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sister View Post
I agree with you no way he could do a series with her - you're right - not enough character flaws.
I highly recommend you try out Peter Robinson, a Brit living in Toronto, writing about Chief Inspector Banks in the Midlands UK. I have seen Rankin, Robinson and Connelly on tour together and they are three of a kind with Robinson being the least dark and his hero CI Banks being the least damaged.
Thanks, I'll try a few, though I'm more inclined to believe the abnormal cop characters present a more colorful storyline as in 'it takes one to know one' pursuit of criminals.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 02:53 PM
Villager

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try a few, though I'm more inclined to believe the abnormal cop characters present a more colorful storyline as in 'it takes one to know one' pursuit of criminals.
Don't get me wrong, Banks is no example of standard cop, he like Rebus and Bosch just piss off the higher ups, Banks has a broken marriage and his favourite cop types are coroners - it's just that he is a little less dark or damaged than the other two. And the villians aren't less dark and damaged but murderers, they aren't usually gang members, more average people gone wrong.