Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Jul 30th 2015, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Breakthrough Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
We had pretty thoroughly proven the Higgs Boson on paper. Should we have not gone looking for it?
Just a question of public priorities, since this all publicly funded with tax money.

I'd rather see my tax dollars invested into some important science - like alternative energy rather than sky-searching for ET.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 01:10 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Well yes, I'd expect a major generational improvement over SETI v1 in every respect, but the whole principle is still the same - scanning the skies to try to pick up some trace of life out there.

Yes, many people do crave certainty. I think the probability math is pretty solid on this one. If there is anything is this universe that truly approximates the idea of infinity, it is the universe itself. If life could develop here according to seemingly random elements combined with particular conditions, then statistically, it is very likely that it will have happened somewhere else as well. Maybe not people per se, but certainly lots of fungus and algae and bacterial lifeforms have to be out there.
True, but algae and bacteria -or far more likely something completely different but equivalent in their ecological niche- don't send out electromagnetic signals. These searches are specific for technological societies with all that might entail. As a philosophically inclined person, aren't you in the least curious about which basic concepts these entities would have?
Old Jul 31st 2015, 01:13 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Just a question of public priorities, since this all publicly funded with tax money.

I'd rather see my tax dollars invested into some important science - like alternative energy rather than sky-searching for ET.
It's paid for by a Russian billionaire called Yuri Milner.
Here's some more information.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
True, but algae and bacteria -or far more likely something completely different but equivalent in their ecological niche- don't send out electromagnetic signals. These searches are specific for technological societies with all that might entail. As a philosophically inclined person, aren't you in the least curious about which basic concepts these entities would have?
Sure I'm vaguely curious. But in the big scheme of things, not really.

I suppose I'm just a bit skeptical about scientists being able to figure out the philosophic motivations of some alien race might have had a few million years ago based on some faint radiological tracings in deep space. Our earth-based scientists do have have a rather poor track record (to put it politely) when it comes to dealing with intelligent life forms like ourselves.

We're talking about the people who invented the ideas of alchemy and eugenics. Just remember that Gitmo and the American torture regime was babysat by the American Psychological Association every step of the way.

Or to put it another way, if this SETI v2 does pickup something, I'd bet everything I have that it will be treated as full justification for 100% militarism/fascism here on earth. So I'm not very enthusiastic about giving our ruling elites more reasons to do exactly that.

I'm bored of hearing about Communist, Islamic and liberal evil boogiemen trying to kill us all because of our 'freedoms'. We definitely don't need an Alien-ET version of the same damn thing.

Nothing could rejuivenate Reagan's old dream of a 'Star Wars Defense System' than us finding some trace of intelligent life from a few million years ago. Nothing could weaponize space faster than that would.