Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Forum Games

Forum Games Simple games for amusement.

Old Mar 28th 2009, 04:34 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Dictators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Do you think Julius was a 'bad' dictator?

And indeed, if Julius counts as a 'bad dictator', then EVERY Roman Emperor that follows is at least equally bad. I guess I'm looking at the 'person' as dictator separate from the 'evil' of the office of dictator. The office of dictator is always evil - but some of the people who have held this office have not been evil and thus, were comparatively decent dictators (as it were).

I think I'd put Julius into that extremely rare category of "relatively good" dictators. I don't fault Julius for being the one to end the Republic - he was the third fellow to follow the exact same career path (Marius & Sulla before him). Fact is the Republic was essentially dead, non-functional and beyond redemption at that time. Rome was at a crisis and couldn't continue under the existing political structure - massive political changes were required to deal with the existing political issues. Status quo was not an option - and Julius did represent the most 'progressive' movement of that time (against the conservative elements in opposition).

(This discussion I think might be suitable for its own thread - "relatively good dictators" - a club that I think includes possibly only Julius Caesar and Oliver Cromwell).
I'm no expert on Rome, but I imagine you're right. In the cultural context Caesar was probably not too bad.

Today I submit Getulio Vargas, an odd blend of leftist populism and right wing fascism, with a touch of liberation mixed with brutal suppression!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Today I submit Getulio Vargas, an odd blend of leftist populism and right wing fascism, with a touch of liberation mixed with brutal suppression!
Interesting fellow that I'd never heard of - I'm woefully lacking in South American 20th century history.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 03:49 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Interesting fellow that I'd never heard of - I'm woefully lacking in South American 20th century history.
I didn't learn about him until I studied in Argentina.

To my understanding the left/right mix of Vargas and Peron was specifically designed to preempt a communist revolution, which is ironic since the supporters of the current Kirchner government in Argentina (which calls itself Peronist) run around with posters of Che.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I didn't learn about him until I studied in Argentina.

To my understanding the left/right mix of Vargas and Peron was specifically designed to preempt a communist revolution, which is ironic since the supporters of the current Kirchner government in Argentina (which calls itself Peronist) run around with posters of Che.
Yeah, well, part of my ignorance is due to 'horror' at the content of the topic.

And in keeping with the Roman theme of late, today's entry shall be Lucius Cornelius Sulla - the 2nd of the infamous 'strong men' of the Roman Republic. Quite unlike Marius (1st) or Julius (3rd), Sulla was a reactionary conservative (and typical hypocritical prude - a moral crusader who slept with slave girls).

Note: When one uses the term "conservative" in the sense of Roman Republic, they really mean "arch-extreme-conservative".
Old Mar 31st 2009, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Today's entry is Mao

What more needs to be said about this monster? His bizarrely named "Great Leap Forward" is probably the single most hideous state policy of the 20th century short of Nazi genocide.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 01:42 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Today's submission is Fulgencio Batista.

I think that Fidel and Friends were just in getting rid of him. It would have been nice if they had turned out better though.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 07:07 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
It would have been nice if they had turned out better though.
I don't think US policy admitted that option for Cuba. Fidel did rather well with the tools he had at his disposal after the US ensured that Cuba would be forced into permanent poverty - out of US spite.

For a poor country, Cuba is probably the best managed one on the planet and Fidel deserves credit for that.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 07:09 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

For today, I'll nominate one of the world's most crazy and colorful (and psychotic) dictators... Idi Amin
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:46 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
I don't think US policy admitted that option for Cuba. Fidel did rather well with the tools he had at his disposal after the US ensured that Cuba would be forced into permanent poverty - out of US spite.

For a poor country, Cuba is probably the best managed one on the planet and Fidel deserves credit for that.
I agree to a great extent.

No embargo necessitated the abuse of homosexuals, for instance, and the essential negation of numerous rights.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I agree to a great extent.

No embargo necessitated the abuse of homosexuals, for instance, and the essential negation of numerous rights.
It is a very "low bar" when judging the quality of government in poor countries. It tends to range from 'brutal' to 'horrific' and at best is, 'corrupt and incompetent'.

Amongst that group of countries, Fidel's regime has been remarkably impressive.