Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Mar 5th 2013, 06:16 PM
Globetrotter

Default Man U are knocked out

Manchester United Football Club have just been knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid.

Many people in England are very happy about this, since they cannot stand Manchester United, or their arrogant and vindictive manager Alex Ferguson - so if you know someone English, why not congratulate them - the odds are they are very happy about this result.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 07:31 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Man U are knocked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Manchester United Football Club have just been knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid.

Many people in England are very happy about this, since they cannot stand Manchester United, or their arrogant and vindictive manager Alex Ferguson - so if you know someone English, why not congratulate them - the odds are they are very happy about this result.
Huh? Every "English" person I know is either a) hardcore Man U fan, or B) hardcore Arsenal fan. I'm not aware of any other class of English person (or soccer fan for that matter).*

People under category A will be devastated. People under category B will cheer. This means nothing because it is pure mindless partisanship.

*Note: I do know of one fellow who is a fan of Tottingham, but he's rather weird and a hardcore hipster, so he doesn't count - even though the team has a very cool name!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 07:35 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Huh? Every "English" person I know is either a) hardcore Man U fan, or B) hardcore Arsenal fan. I'm not aware of any other class of English person (or soccer fan for that matter).*

People under category A will be devastated. People under category B will cheer. This means nothing because it is pure mindless partisanship.

*Note: I do know of one fellow who is a fan of Tottingham, but he's rather weird and a hardcore hipster, so he doesn't count!
You mean Tottenham.
Yes, there are many Man U fans, (because they win loads of trophies, and some people think, mistakenly, that supporting a team that wins lots of trophies is going to bring them more happiness, so they choose that team). Man U probably have more fans than any other team in England, because of this.

But nevertheless, they are in the minority - most of the other football fans will be cheering to the rafters.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 07:41 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
You mean Tottenham.
Yes, there are many Man U fans, (because they win loads of trophies, and some people think, mistakenly, that supporting a team that wins lots of trophies is going to bring them more happiness, so they choose that team). Man U probably have more fans than any other team in England, because of this.

But nevertheless, they are in the minority - most of the other football fans will be cheering to the rafters.
There are more Man U fans on this planet than fans of all other English teams added together.

Singapore for example is a huge hotbed of Man U fans.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 08:53 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
There are more Man U fans on this planet than fans of all other English teams added together.

Singapore for example is a huge hotbed of Man U fans.
That may be interesting, but it's not relevant to what I said, since what I said was about English people.