Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 03:28 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Montenegro's football team

Montenegro is a newly independent Balkan country, for many years it was part of Serbia-Montenegro.

For Euro 2012 (including the qualifying) they were among the 20 best teams in Europe, and they only have 600,000 people. (that's not footballers, that's people).

That is absolutely phenomenal.

Well done, to Montenegro!
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 09:17 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Montenegro's football team

It would appear that the Balkans continue to be Balkanized.

As for football, I'm not familiar with Montenegro's team, but generally when small states achieve such status, it is likely to be riding on the coattails of one particular superstar. Portugal's football team is a good example of this - Ronaldo raises that team's performance to the top-tier.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 06:28 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Montenegro's football team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
It would appear that the Balkans continue to be Balkanized.

As for football, I'm not familiar with Montenegro's team, but generally when small states achieve such status, it is likely to be riding on the coattails of one particular superstar. Portugal's football team is a good example of this - Ronaldo raises that team's performance to the top-tier.
I'm no expert on the Montenegro team, but they don't have any players who are regarded as world class.

But Portugal have 10 million people and their team is among the 4 best in Europe. Ronaldo is unquestionably their key man, but 10 million people and in Europe's top 4 is very impressive indeed.

Montenegro has 700,000 people and are among the 20 best teams in Europe. Their population is similar to that of Iceland, Luxemburg and Malta.

I conclude that Montenegro are far more impressive even than Portugal, who are also very impressive.

Montenegro is not the only impressive former Yugoslav country. Slovenia, Serbia and Croatia have all done well in football.

So they know a thing about football in the Balkans.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 07:01 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Montenegro's football team

One correction, Montenegro has 600,000 people (as I said in the first post, not 700,000 people as I said in my previous post).
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:09 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Montenegro's football team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
One correction, Montenegro has 600,000 people (as I said in the first post, not 700,000 people as I said in my previous post).
We've got a couple of suburbs of Toronto that each have more population that that.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Sep 9th 2012, 08:44 PM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: Montenegro's football team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
We've got a couple of suburbs of Toronto that each have more population that that.
Even with an economy far superior to Montenegro do they bother expending the resources required to field nationally ranked football teams?
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Sep 10th 2012, 01:13 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Montenegro's football team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Even with an economy far superior to Montenegro do they bother expending the resources required to field nationally ranked football teams?
With respect, it's only football - only a game.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Sep 10th 2012, 05:51 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Montenegro's football team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Even with an economy far superior to Montenegro do they bother expending the resources required to field nationally ranked football teams?
Certainly not. Even Canada as a whole can't be bothered to do that.

I'd shoot the government if they even thought of wasting tax dollars on anything so stupid.

Sport teams ought to be privately financed or not at all. It is hard to think of anything less worthy of one's tax dollars than subsidizing professional sports teams.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Sep 11th 2012, 08:33 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Montenegro's football team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Certainly not. Even Canada as a whole can't be bothered to do that.

I'd shoot the government if they even thought of wasting tax dollars on anything so stupid.

Sport teams ought to be privately financed or not at all. It is hard to think of anything less worthy of one's tax dollars than subsidizing professional sports teams.
It would be a complete waste of money, which is good - it would ruin sport if a country could profit from doing well in sports competitions.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com