Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 06:58 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: A Gold medal for Russia, a victory for Putin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Indeed. And I agree this is unfair.

What is worse, though, I think, is when some countries come to the Olympics with, indeed, amateur sportspeople, as per the rules; while some bring professional stars. Especially, I see that in tennis. Was watching not long ago, tennis, Russia vs. Austrlia, I think. Some young Australian girl I never heard of was playing against Maria Sharapova. I think any idiot could have predicted the outcome of that match...
The participants in the Olympic ladies tennis event are the WTA top 56 (extended beyond nr.56 because there are a few top 56 players injured or otherwise absent) and a few wildcards. They're all pro athletes. Maria didn't play an Australian girl in this Olympics but I think you might mean Laura Robson, a Brit. She's only 18 yes, but her career earnings are $347,307 And she's a prospect for the future. And if you meant the Israeli Shahar Peer, well, she's never been near the top and her career earnings are $4,427,088 (that's just prize money, it doesn't include sponsoring or endorsements).

There's nobody in the draw you need to feel sorry for. Most of these girls have earned/are going to earn more than any of us will ever have.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 04:06 AM
Globetrotter

MeMyselfandI, of course there will be matches that are easy to predict. And it's been a very long time indeed since the Olympics was reserved for amateurs.

But it's free to watch on TV, unlike club sports, and that's all I care about. I love the Olympics, the swimming, the football, the handball... it's wonderful, and so nice that it's on TV channels that everyone has.

You're not interested in sport at all, and that's fine, you focus on things you're interested in, and leave the rest of us to enjoy the Olympics.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 06:45 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
This just reinforces the old adage that the number of olympic medals any country wins is directly proportional to the amount of money the government spends on olympic-qualified amateur sports.
I think you're probably right - about the Olympics!

Football competitions like the World CUp or the European Championships are different - population matters, money doesn't in those competitions.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 02:02 AM
Globetrotter

That idiot Putin invested so much of the sport money in judo, that there was none left for other sports, with the result that Russia has had one of its worst ever Olympic Games.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 04:06 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Indeed. And I agree this is unfair.

What is worse, though, I think, is when some countries come to the Olympics with, indeed, amateur sportspeople, as per the rules; while some bring professional stars. Especially, I see that in tennis. Was watching not long ago, tennis, Russia vs. Austrlia, I think. Some young Australian girl I never heard of was playing against Maria Sharapova. I think any idiot could have predicted the outcome of that match...
I'm not a tennis fan, but I do watch SportsCenter and it appears to me at least that a majority of the Olympic tennis players compete against one another year around anyways. It would be like having golf in the Olympics. They all compete against one another "popularly" year around.

The only difference is winning regularly throughout the season and winning an Olympic medal.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 05:09 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
That idiot Putin invested so much of the sport money in judo, that there was none left for other sports, with the result that Russia has had one of its worst ever Olympic Games.
It is not too bad. The Russian team has performed roughly on the same level as, for example, the Japanese, who are on par with us demographically and economically. It is just that too many here demand too much, third place... As if, our team must match the Americans and the Chinese, how? We are not the fucking CCCP anymore, that is what I keep telling people, in fact, we never were. Just one Republic out of 15, even if the biggest one. But one with worst qualify of life except perhaps Tajikistan. In any case, we are not America or China, we are not a Superpower. We are still a player on the world stage, our word still matters, and we do try to puff our chest, on Syria for example; but we are not America or China, including at the Olympics. We are a middle Power, and for a middle Power, we did just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
I'm not a tennis fan, but I do watch SportsCenter and it appears to me at least that a majority of the Olympic tennis players compete against one another year around anyways. It would be like having golf in the Olympics. They all compete against one another "popularly" year around.

The only difference is winning regularly throughout the season and winning an Olympic medal.
Indeed. Hockey too. When Russia won that last World Championship, and there was the game against Canada, before, and our guys won that, and everyone was celebrating, "Yes! We won! Revenge for Vancouver!" Well, I was watching, a group of these young, unknown Canadians trying to hold their own against Aleksandr Ovechkin, Evgeny Malkin, Pavel Datsyuk, and Ilya Kovalchuk... The Canadians were the real heroes, to me anyway.

Next thing we know, in boxing, they would put some young amateur against Manny Pacqiuao and call that a fair fight
Old Aug 5th 2012, 05:25 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
It is not too bad. The Russian team has performed roughly on the same level as, for example, the Japanese, who are on par with us demographically and economically. It is just that too many here demand too much, third place... As if, our team must match the Americans and the Chinese, how? We are not the fucking CCCP anymore, that is what I keep telling people, in fact, we never were. Just one Republic out of 15, even if the biggest one. But one with worst qualify of life except perhaps Tajikistan. In any case, we are not America or China, we are not a Superpower. We are still a player on the world stage, our word still matters, and we do try to puff our chest, on Syria for example; but we are not America or China, including at the Olympics. We are a middle Power, and for a middle Power, we did just fine

I despair - you move the goalposts just to suit Putin.
You certainly don't keep telling us that you are no longer the CCCP.
What you keep telling us is that Russia is a very strong nation, having inherited weapons from the CCCP. Not ONCE have you said anything like that you are no longer the CCCP.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 05:33 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
What you keep telling us is that Russia is a very strong nation, having inherited weapons from the CCCP. Not ONCE have you said anything like that you are no longer the CCCP.
And, why would he?
Old Aug 5th 2012, 05:49 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
And, why would he?
Because we are people and he tells us many things, and the combination of those two facts would make it likely that he would tell us what he keeps telling people.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 06:05 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
And that is true, we did inherit much deadly stuff from the old Union. We could still defend ourselves against NATO or China or anybody and inflict heavy damage.

But, we are not the USSR. I have indeed said that here before. Offensively, our military is far more limited than Soviet was.

But to get back to the thread, the Judo investment did pay off: 3 Golds, a Silver, and a Bronze. The Judokas are returning home as heroes even if all the other teams were pathetic. The swimmers I detest especially. I read they were lazy, childish scum, not training enough, arguing with trainers, whining. Got what they deserve. To think, my taxes paid for them to go train in America... Bunch of useless bastards. Note, all the Judo guys trained in Russia.

I'll tell you what it is though. Compare our men Judo team and men swimming team. One thing about the Judokas, you can notice right away: many minority guys. Look at the Gold medalists: a Russian-Armenian from Krasnodar krai, from Krymsk actually, that town that got flooded; a ethnic Dagestani who grew up in the Ural mountains, only Caucasian kid in his school, in rural Ural, you can try to imagine what that must have been like; and another Dagestani, from Dagestan, from a small mountain village. The Silver and Bronze guys are Slavs, but from poor provincial families. You would not find any privileged backgrounds on the Judo team. For those boys, this is their only way up and out of whatever miserable life they had before. So, you see devotion, determination, and discipline. The swimmers are mostly from wealthy families, would have to be to afford pool fees and such; in the article I read, it said one of them flew to Los Angeles to train on his father's personal airplane... They are spoiled rich kids. What to expect from that?