Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Jul 30th 2012, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
That's why I say legalize the drugs. I think the health issue is a red herring.
While I generally agree with the idea of legalization in principle, I am politically opposed to legalizing this one-specific type of drug/drug-application because it is entirely commerical/corporate/governments who seek to profit. If we had experience legalizing other types of drugs in the interest of the citizenry, then perhaps I might reconsider my opposition on that point.

And yes, the whole "health issue" of doping/enhancing drugs is definitely a 'politically correct' red herring. The governments/media/athletes just really can't argue about the fact that they are all cheating (and everyone knows it) so they need to focus on complex/unknown issues like health effects where facts can be argued about and the issue can be side-tracked and postponed.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 08:27 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
While I generally agree with the idea of legalization in principle, I am politically opposed to legalizing this one-specific type of drug/drug-application because it is entirely commerical/corporate/governments who seek to profit. If we had experience legalizing other types of drugs in the interest of the citizenry, then perhaps I might reconsider my opposition on that point.

And yes, the whole "health issue" of doping/enhancing drugs is definitely a 'politically correct' red herring. The governments/media/athletes just really can't argue about the fact that they are all cheating (and everyone knows it) so they need to focus on complex/unknown issues like health effects where facts can be argued about and the issue can be side-tracked and postponed.
Please define which existing US legal prescription drugs aren't for profit benefiting corporations/government.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 07:12 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Please define which existing US legal prescription drugs aren't for profit benefiting corporations/government.
I'm not talking about legal drugs. The issue here is "legalization" of illegal drugs.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 09:23 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm not talking about legal drugs. The issue here is "legalization" of illegal drugs.
It's my understanding that anabolic steroids are perfectly legal and in common use for medical purposes including performance enhancement outside organizations such as the Olympics and such who ban their usage.

The illegal definition is reached only when "designer" synthetic steroids are produced with the goal to avoid detection of usage by athletes who perform under the rules of organizations banning their usage. In every instance I've read those rules are based on committee ethics (moral principles) with health issues used as a red herring to justify their decisions.

As to the health issue, here's a quote from the Mayo Clinic:

"Why are these drugs so appealing to athletes? Besides making muscles bigger, anabolic steroids may help athletes recover from a hard workout more quickly by reducing the muscle damage that occurs during the session. This enables athletes to workout harder and more frequently without over-training. In addition, some athletes may like the aggressive feelings they get when they take the drugs.

Many athletes take anabolic steroids at doses that are much higher than those prescribed for medical reasons, and most of what is known about the drugs' effects on athletes comes from observing users. It is impossible for researchers to design studies that would accurately test the effects of large doses of steroids on athletes, because giving participants such high doses would be unethical. This means that the effects of taking anabolic steroids at very high doses haven't been well studied."

Source
Old Jul 31st 2012, 01:28 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
It's my understanding that anabolic steroids are perfectly legal and in common use for medical purposes including performance enhancement outside organizations such as the Olympics and such who ban their usage.

The illegal definition is reached only when "designer" synthetic steroids are produced with the goal to avoid detection of usage by athletes who perform under the rules of organizations banning their usage. In every instance I've read those rules are based on committee ethics (moral principles) with health issues used as a red herring to justify their decisions.

As to the health issue, here's a quote from the Mayo Clinic:

"Why are these drugs so appealing to athletes? Besides making muscles bigger, anabolic steroids may help athletes recover from a hard workout more quickly by reducing the muscle damage that occurs during the session. This enables athletes to workout harder and more frequently without over-training. In addition, some athletes may like the aggressive feelings they get when they take the drugs.

Many athletes take anabolic steroids at doses that are much higher than those prescribed for medical reasons, and most of what is known about the drugs' effects on athletes comes from observing users. It is impossible for researchers to design studies that would accurately test the effects of large doses of steroids on athletes, because giving participants such high doses would be unethical. This means that the effects of taking anabolic steroids at very high doses haven't been well studied."

Source
Why don't you organise your own sports competition where drugs are allowed?

As you have said, the Olympics is private, and that means they get to make the rules. I am totally uninterested in what motives they may or may not have, I'm only interested in what rules there are, and I happen to like their rules.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 07:28 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Why don't you organise your own sports competition where drugs are allowed?

As you have said, the Olympics is private, and that means they get to make the rules. I am totally uninterested in what motives they may or may not have, I'm only interested in what rules there are, and I happen to like their rules.
Their rules on performance enhancing drugs have been repeatedly broken for so long they look like hypocritical fools. When caught, some athletes are punished, others go their merry way. Reminds me of power politics in a democracy.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 05:54 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
It's my understanding that anabolic steroids are perfectly legal and in common use for medical purposes...
So is pot.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 05:37 PM
Globetrotter

Britain - 14 golds / 60 million people
Russia - 3 golds / 143 million people

Perhaps the modern Muscovites who were so silenced by Putin's judo gold are beginning to find their tongues again?

Old Aug 5th 2012, 09:05 PM
Globetrotter

Two musings.

Why is everyone so obsessed with the 100m sprint in athletics. If you look away from your screen for 10 seconds you've missed it. I happened to have seen the final in the live-stream in a corner of my screen and these runners aren't even tired. I don't know much about this stuff but isn't the 100 m the least athletic of all events?

For years now everything negative that happens in Belgium is the "fault of the Walloons" at least in the Flemish nationalist corner and in the media that caters to them which now even includes the public channel which once aspired to BBC quality. But when there are Olympics and the only 4 typically underachieving Belgians that have had a success are Walloons then suddenly we're all "Belgians" again. And they don't even realise how idiotic it makes their regional nationalism look.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 09:01 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Why is everyone so obsessed with the 100m sprint in athletics. If you look away from your screen for 10 seconds you've missed it. I happened to have seen the final in the live-stream in a corner of my screen and these runners aren't even tired. I don't know much about this stuff but isn't the 100 m the least athletic of all events?
Perhaps because winning the 100m olympic gold earns the honorific title of "fastest man in the world".