Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > U.S. Politics

U.S. Politics Congress, elections, government and discussion of all US political issues.

Old Sep 2nd 2017, 08:42 AM
Resident Historian

Default McCain's Memo

It's remarkable that, when one political party controls all of Congress and the Whitehouse, members of that same party are calling for greater compromise with the minority, for regular order over reconciliation, for hearings, debate and amendment over forcing through backroom deals by party leaders. If you have a moment for 750 words, I think these are some of Senator John McCain's finest:

Quote:
"Congress will return from recess next week facing continued gridlock as we lurch from one self-created crisis to another. We are proving inadequate not only to our most difficult problems but also to routine duties. Our national political campaigns never stop. We seem convinced that majorities exist to impose their will with few concessions and that minorities exist to prevent the party in power from doing anything important....Our entire system of government — with its checks and balances, its bicameral Congress, its protections of the rights of the minority — was designed for compromise....It requires pragmatic problem-solving from even the most passionate partisans. It relies on compromise between opposing sides to protect the interests we share. We can fight like hell for our ideas to prevail. But we have to respect each other or at least respect the fact that we need each other."
Read the rest here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.4443564414bd
Old Sep 4th 2017, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: McCain's Memo

Seems like more waxing nostalgic - or in McCain's case, reminiscing about the old 'tire swing'.

US politics effectively evolved into two ideologically based parties during the 1970's & 80's. That's an expected evolution given the way politics works in every other western country - and one that is not going to go away any time soon.

Basically US now has two 'parliamentary' type political parties operating in a US congressional type system that wasn't designed for 'parliamentary-type' party governance. The problem is the structure of the US system, not the political partisanship. Partisanship is natural and inherent to the process of politics - the US congressional system isn't.

In other words, the Founders hung an albatross around the American citizenry. The US Constitution imposes an institutional governmental structure that was originally designed primarily for the purpose of maintaining the legality of slavery within a pseudo-facade of democracy. That kind of squaring the circle has left a legacy of dysfunctional governmental institutions once you take away slavery (and Jim Crow).
Old Sep 18th 2017, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Lindsay Graham has just co-sponsored and introduced yet another "repeal AHA" bill into Congress.

People are already speculating that mavericky McCain will support this one even though it is actually worse than the one he voted against (or the two he voted for).

We'll have to see. I certainly won't be surprised. McCain has never impressed me as anything but a loyal Republican who votes the party-line about 99% of the time.

Like Ran Paul, McCain occasionally makes noises about being independent and opposing some Republican party policy, but when it comes down to it, they both vote the party-line with remarkable regularity.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 05:40 PM
Resident Historian

McCain is a "no" vote on Graham-Cassidy.

From his statement about the bill:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator John McCain
“I would consider supporting legislation similar to that offered by my friends Senators Graham and Cassidy were it the product of extensive hearings, debate and amendment. But that has not been the case,” he said. “We should not be content to pass health care legislation on a party-line basis, as Democrats did when they rammed Obamacare through Congress in 2009. … I cannot in good conscience vote for the Graham-Cassidy proposal.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...eal-hopes.html
I salute the honorable gentleman from Arizona for once again taking a stand for regular order, open debate, and careful deliberation and against blind partisanship.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 07:01 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
McCain is a "no" vote on Graham-Cassidy.

From his statement about the bill:

I salute the honorable gentleman from Arizona for once again taking a stand for regular order, open debate, and careful deliberation and against blind partisanship.
I'll wait to see his actual "no" vote before I praise his stand. He has notably left himself a loophole there and McCain has certainly done this many times - publicly standing against a bill that he subsequently votes in favor of. His 'reputation' as a mavericky independent is mostly based on his public words, not his actual voting record.

Btw, this Graham-Cassidy bill is by far the absolute worst of the various AHA repeal bills that have been put to vote so far. This one is a neutron bomb that will blow up the US healthcare system without any pretense of preserving any part of the AHA. If it passes, 5-10 years from now, US will have a healthcare system that is actually much worse than the pre-AHA status quo.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 10:39 PM
Resident Historian

Looks like it's dead. Paul, McCain, and now Collins makes three.

Quote:
“Health care is a deeply personal, complex issue that affects every single one of us and one-sixth of the American economy,” Ms. Collins said in a statement, lamenting the rushed process and the content of legislation that has shifted as Republican leaders scrambled for votes. “Sweeping reforms to our health care system and to Medicaid can’t be done well in a compressed time frame, especially when the actual bill is a moving target.”

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/2...ws.google.com/
Cruz, Lee, and Murkowski are also possible 'no' votes.

I wonder when the last time was that Collins, McCain, Cruz, and Paul were all united in opposing a piece of GOP legislation. How bad does it have to be to lose the most visible centrists, conservative, and libertarian figures of your own party?
Old Sep 26th 2017, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Looks like it's dead. Paul, McCain, and now Collins makes three.

Cruz, Lee, and Murkowski are also possible 'no' votes.

I wonder when the last time was that Collins, McCain, Cruz, and Paul were all united in opposing a piece of GOP legislation. How bad does it have to be to lose the most visible centrists, conservative, and libertarian figures of your own party?
Collins is officially "no" now and I think McConnell will pull the bill rather than let it be defeated, so I guess we'll never know the answer to your question.

I would have been very surprised to see Paul or Cruz actually vote "no" on that bill.

I guess this means that unless the Democrats can pull off a miracle in 2018 mid-terms, this bill will likely pass in 2019 on the next try.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 11:49 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Collins is officially "no" now and I think McConnell will pull the bill rather than let it be defeated, so I guess we'll never know the answer to your question.

I would have been very surprised to see Paul or Cruz actually vote "no" on that bill.

I guess this means that unless the Democrats can pull off a miracle in 2018 mid-terms, this bill will likely pass in 2019 on the next try.
They've called off the vote and effectively said they're not trying anymore. I've got to think McConnell at least believed either Paul or Cruz was serious about voting "no" since he's decided to completely give up rather than just delay things until the end of the week in hopes of bringing them around.

One assumes they'll do better with tax reform ("better" in the sense of "political competence," not necessarily better policy). It's all "rah rah, lower taxes!" now, but its going to get ugly later on when the House has to sort out exactly which deductions they're going to try and cut.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
They've called off the vote and effectively said they're not trying anymore. I've got to think McConnell at least believed either Paul or Cruz was serious about voting "no" since he's decided to completely give up rather than just delay things until the end of the week in hopes of bringing them around.

One assumes they'll do better with tax reform ("better" in the sense of "political competence," not necessarily better policy). It's all "rah rah, lower taxes!" now, but its going to get ugly later on when the House has to sort out exactly which deductions they're going to try and cut.
Actually, the whole 'repeal and replace' of the AHA was an attempt at a huge exercise in upwards wealth re-distribution. All three attempts involved massive top bracket tax cuts and big costs off-loaded onto the bottom 50%.