Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > News & Current Events

News & Current Events What's in the news? What's going on in your part of the world?

Old Mar 4th 2017, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Brexit

Btw, one added note about democracy (the real kind).

One of the most important elements of actual direct democracy is the selection of executive office by lot.

I'm not a big fan of direct legislation by mass population (though it would hardly be worse than what we have). I think that's dysfunctional, but selecting the executives of government and/or legislators by lot I suspect would be a major improvement over the present system.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 09:20 AM
Citizen

I thought I'd share this blog article with you.

For me, it sums up the whole misery of #Brexit.

http://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/dis...les-euromyths/
Old Aug 31st 2017, 07:31 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucre View Post
I thought I'd share this blog article with you.

For me, it sums up the whole misery of #Brexit.

http://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/dis...les-euromyths/
Nothing particularly earth-shattering there. As we already know, the pro-Brexit side won their referendum based almost entirely on lies and bullshit. Not unlike how Trump and the Republicans won in 2016, with loads of lies and bullshit.

The real issue is not that self-serving elites will lie and shovel bullshit to achieve their own personal goals, or that the mass media loves to repeat those lies and bullshit over and over, the real issue is the people, or the voters, who just love to be lied to and celebrate the bullshit that gets shoveled at them. Heck, some people pay good money to attend events where they will be lied to and where bullshit is celebrated.

Seems to me that there are way more people that believe in the lies and bullshit than there are people who are aware of the basic or rudimentary facts of any given issue. This is the real problem of the 21st century.

In other words, bullshit is remarkably popular with voters and average people. Rather odd when you consider that western people are not only the most educated people in the world, they are the most educated people in the whole history of the world.