Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:14 AM
Citizen

Default Wales: Drumline

Wales is a country that is part of the United Kingdom and the island of Great Britain. It is bordered by England to the east, the Irish Sea to the north and west, and the Bristol Channel to the south. Although Wales closely shares its political and social history with the rest of Great Britain, and the vast majority of the population speaks English, the country has retained a distinct cultural identity and is officially bilingual. Wales has invested industrially in woollen textiles (source of information: Wikipedia).

Much of Wales' diverse landscape is mountainous, particularly in the north and central regions. The Seven Wonders of Wales is a list in doggerel verse of seven geographic and cultural landmarks in Wales probably composed in the late 18th century under the influence of tourism from England.

Wales was once an independent, though rarely unified, nation with a strong Celtic tradition, but in the decades following the Norman invasion of England in 1066, the nation fell increasingly under the jurisdiction of England. At first, it was ruled in part as a separate country, but rebellion by Prince Owain Glyndŵr (considered in modern times as the 'Father of Welsh nationalism') saw further incremental incorporation into England. Henry VII brought Wales into the English systems of laws and of parliamentary representation through the Laws in Wales Acts of 1535 and 1542.

Famous Welsh people include Henry VII (the first of the Tudors, the famous dynasty of 15th and 16th century monarchs ending with Elizabeth I); Catherine Zeta-Jones; Tom Jones and Dame Shirley Bassey (singers); Aneurin Bevan (politician, father of the NHS), Ryan Giggs (Manchester United footballer), Betrand Russell (philosopher), William Grove (inventor of the first fuel cell), Dylan Thomas and Richard Burton (poet and actor, linked forever by "Under Milk Wood") (source of information: WikiTravel).

Cardiff is the largest city and capital of Wales and boasts the prestigious Cardiff University as well as the Cardiff Children's Festival every year.

Overall, Wales is an under-valued 'gem' in British Isles tourism and is a terrific 'alternative' destination for those seeking something interesting to do/study while travelling. Wales' flag, carrying a great symbol of an impressive red dragon, suggests the country is proud of its history and uniqueness.

Penally Abbey (hotels and restaurants overseen by Tenby) signifies a very impressive Welsh investment in the hospitality industry and further suggests Wales is a 'creative destination' for travellers looking for 'geography stories.'

====

TRUMP: I'd like to see the Tenby hotels in Wales!
CARTER: I bet there are some nifty ghost stories...
TRUMP: Yeah, I'd like to be visited by a 'Welsh ghost' in a hotel.
CARTER: Tourism is an integral face of globalization now.
TRUMP: That's because of commerce --- Wales is proud of its hotels!
CARTER: Countries offering 'eye-candy' will stand-out as commercial.
TRUMP: Wales is culturally 'special' if not greatly-appreciated.
CARTER: That's because of marketing; nevertheless, Internet is a 'window.'
TRUMP: Yes, you can find out a lot about Wales just from WikiTravel!
CARTER: I'd like to taste Welsh cuisine (compare it to Brit-cuisine).
TRUMP: History informs the 'couture' of a country, and Wales is unique.
CARTER: I think they talked about Wales in A Man for All Seasons.

====