Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Jul 1st 2009, 04:52 PM
This wine needs more whisky

Default Re: Walk into a great historic center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
That's what I did. A valium and a nicotine patch and I was good to go!
So you're a smoker, too? I find it hilariously ironic how many people I have met throughout the years who work in health care that are smokers.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 07:23 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
So you're a smoker, too? I find it hilariously ironic how many people I have met throughout the years who work in health care that are smokers.
It is ironic. When I got into nursing, I thought hmm, this will be good. Maybe with an envrionment of "health" I can quit smoking. Hell no. Most of the people I work with smoke... like chimneys. And they eat like shit and they're always stressed. It's terrible. You gotta laugh about it.

All of the hospitals in two counties went "No Smoking" January 1st, but all of them still have ashtrays outside and turn a blind eye to the patients and visitors smoking (have to keep the customers happy, you know). Most of the staff have found ways around this new rule, too. One doctor who openly smokes outside told me, "What? They're going to fire me? I don't think so." They haven't.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 07:40 AM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
It is ironic. When I got into nursing, I thought hmm, this will be good. Maybe with an envrionment of "health" I can quit smoking. Hell no. Most of the people I work with smoke... like chimneys. And they eat like shit and they're always stressed. It's terrible. You gotta laugh about it.

All of the hospitals in two counties went "No Smoking" January 1st, but all of them still have ashtrays outside and turn a blind eye to the patients and visitors smoking (have to keep the customers happy, you know). Most of the staff have found ways around this new rule, too. One doctor who openly smokes outside told me, "What? They're going to fire me? I don't think so." They haven't.
I work for a DME and our company banned smoking at all our office sites last month. We still sneak out back, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to get shit-canned if one of the visiting corporate fucks caught me.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Smoking tobacco is a vile habit that is the curse of the weak, self-concious, low self-esteemed, low self-image, addicts who have no self-control, no will-power, and are plagued with a subconcious death wish; people who are suicidal and afraid to kill themselves in a timely fashion - instead, they find some small happiness in fouling and contaminating the air we all must breathe with their stinking, foul, smelly, filthy addictions that most of us abhor and can't stand the practice of. Losers all.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
I work for a DME and our company banned smoking at all our office sites last month. We still sneak out back, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to get shit-canned if one of the visiting corporate fucks caught me.
And justifiably so.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 09:22 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
Smoking tobacco is a vile habit that is the curse of the weak, self-concious, low self-esteemed, low self-image, addicts who have no self-control, no will-power, and are plagued with a subconcious death wish; people who are suicidal and afraid to kill themselves in a timely fashion - instead, they find some small happiness in fouling and contaminating the air we all must breathe with their stinking, foul, smelly, filthy addictions that most of us abhor and can't stand the practice of. Losers all.
Tell us how you really feel about addictions in a new thread.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:20 PM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
Listen you holier-than-thou fuck. I don't know you and you sure as fuck do not know me, got it? Smoking is my own God-damned personal choice and you of all people have no right to claim that I am weak, self-conscious (), or have a low self-esteem/image. I might not say much that is considered "important" in this forum, but I have read enough of your bullshit and I am fucking tired of it. You wanted a God-damned, crazy, hysteric response ...well here it is.

(My apologies to Michael and everyone else in the Forum that I might have offended)
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Listen you holier-than-thou fuck. I don't know you and you sure as fuck do not know me, got it? Smoking is my own God-damned personal choice and you of all people have no right to claim that I am weak, self-conscious (), or have a low self-esteem/image. I might not say much that is considered "important" in this forum, but I have read enough of your bullshit and I am fucking tired of it. You wanted a God-damned, crazy, hysteric response ...well here it is.

(My apologies to Michael and everyone else in the Forum that I might have offended)
Gosh, Drunk Girl, have we been tippling a little too much? Lasher acknowledges His typo, but since He is human, He possesses the same foibles and weaknesses you do, except for the one that has you addicted to your drugs of choice, tobacco and alcohol, so don't be too hard on the old guy.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
I traveled to England for the first time in the fall of 2007. Although I did get out into the countryside some, I spent most of my time in London. What a great city! Between the Tube, the buses and one's feet, who needs a car? I spent hours and hours walking around London... and getting lost, which was the best part of walking around London. Follow a narrow alleyway, a hidden street, and suddenly you're in a place filled with tiny shops, sidewalk cafes and old bookstores. Just delightful!

I did visit the National Gallery and the British Museum, but I didn't do the big typical tourist destinations, choosing instead to visit neighborhood pubs, restaurants, parks and shops. I fell in love with white coffee, the English breakfast (a sausage, eggs, baked beans, tomato and mushrooms), bangers and mash and the take-out food at Sainsbury's grocery. I did not find my traditional kippers breakfast, but I did find the best Indian food I've ever had in a tiny restaurant in Holburn. Camden Market took me back to the 60s, complete with the smell of wet dog and patchouli oil. Trafalgar Square and Leicester Square both kept me occupied for hours just people watching.

I absolutely loved London. If it weren't so damned expensive, I could live there. No problem.
Don't tell Lasher you missed Covent Garden!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 09:15 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
No offense taken.

And I'm sure many people here would join me in considering your contributions to the forum to be quite important.

(well, your posts might be considered just a wee bit more important if you name-dropped Plato and/or Nietzsche more often, but that's just a suggestion!)