Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old May 27th 2011, 08:28 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I think Obama's election in 2008 did that more than anything (or anyone) else.
Agreed. With any luck we can reverse that in 2012 and have everything us hating again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFCY View Post
this thread is facepalm.
Epix.
Old May 27th 2011, 11:49 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post

And they believe things that are not true about da Vinci. Dan Brown is a peddler of falsehood.
I think it's a myth. Brown states as fact things which are true, and the things that aren't proven are presented with a very clear question mark. Perhaps you can give an example of something erroneous from Dan Brown's works?
Quote:
Also, what is wrong with discussing Luke Skywalker? Star Wars is an important component of 20th century pop culture, and frankly, a better told story than anything Dan Brown could even dream of creating.
How can a story with characters called Darth Vadar and Luke Skywalker be taken seriously?
Quote:

If by "thank him" you mean "tar and feather him" than yes.
Old May 27th 2011, 11:57 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I think it's a myth. Brown states as fact things which are true, and the things that aren't proven are presented with a very clear question mark. Perhaps you can give an example of something erroneous from Dan Brown's works?
Wait, you believe all the da Vinci Code clap-trap?

AAAAAhhahahahah.

Quote:

How can a story with characters called Darth Vadar and Luke Skywalker be taken seriously?
You are basing the quality and validity of a story on the names of its characters? How shallow.

Quote:
I wasn't kidding.
Old May 28th 2011, 12:03 AM
Globetrotter

Well what about Mr. and Mrs. Superior, basing the quality of a book on the fact that curriculum vitae details were in the first action sequence???

"You like Dan Brown??? Let me tell you, he puts curriculum vitae details in his first action sequence?"

Is that not shallow? I think it's pompous and ridiculous.

By the way, I have often been astonished by things I learnt in Dan Brown, and when I've checked their authenticity, they turned out to be true.
Old May 28th 2011, 12:09 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Well what about Mr. and Mrs. Superior, basing the quality of a book on the fact that curriculum vitae details were in the first action sequence???

"You like Dan Brown??? Let me tell you, he puts curriculum vitae details in his first action sequence?"
Do you understand what the meaning of an "example" is? I'll refer you back to post #8 where I gave another example: unrelated to both action and resume.

Quote:
No, it's an astute observation.

Quote:
By the way, I have often been astonished by things I learnt in Dan Brown, and when I've checked their authenticity, they turned out to be true.
They say a sucker is born every minute.
Old May 28th 2011, 12:16 AM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:

Like the Priory?
Old May 28th 2011, 12:26 AM
Globetrotter

The Drunk Guy, I've checked on wikipedia, and maybe Dan Brown made a mistake with regard to the Priory of Sion
Old May 28th 2011, 09:22 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
The Drunk Guy, I've checked on wikipedia, and maybe Dan Brown made a mistake with regard to the Priory of Sion
No. He didn't make a mistake. He wrote fiction.
Old May 28th 2011, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
No. He didn't make a mistake. He wrote fiction.

So true!

I'm a medieval history buff. I can't tell you how many times people try to talk to me about something they 'learned' about medieval history (or the medievel Church) from Dan Brown's Da Vinci books. I politely tell them that I study medieval history, not medieval fiction.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:19 PM
Official Forum Geek

I'm so entertained by this thread...

I think I've read all of Dan Brown's books as they were popular when I was traveling a lot for work and thus in the airport and coincided nicely with the length of a flight in terms of time to read. My perception of it was that the plots tended to be formulaic and trite, but that the historical angle had potential to be interesting, ala some of Ken Follet's stuff. However, as I read them, it seemed more like I was reading misinformation than liberties with fiction.

This is a subtle distinction, but I see it, personally. It's one thing to invent a fictional character or characters and have them navigate their way through real, established, historical events. It's another thing to invent facts to fill in holes in historical knowledge and package it into the literary equivalent of a Big Mac for public consumption. For a contingent of the population, Dan Brown will probably be the limit of their exposure to history.

To explain what I mean, imagine a novel with an Indiana Jones knock-off as the protagonist, his plucky female romance interest and cohort in tow, having a series of adventures in 1930's Europe where they uncovered a conspiracy to invent something called "The Holocaust". They have a series of page-turning adventures, near misses, and flirtatious banter until in the end, they defeat someone and get married.

The novel may be entertaining in a bathroom read kind of way, but the fact that it's a breezy adventure/romance creates an expectation of that being the fiction and the background simply facts. After all, any novel that takes place in a realistic setting (for the most part) is going to be part fiction and part fact. You don't read Tom Clancy or Stephen King novels that take place in the US where US citizens drive on the left side of the road and there's no such state as Virginia. There is generally some assumed fact base and the interesting part for most people (the characters, events, etc) are the fiction. In Dan Brown's books, the characters and their romances are the fiction, and the underlying facts... are also fiction.